What are the pro's and cons of a tandem dual goose neck vs a triple axle singles goose neck. There both rated for pretty close to the same weight. Thanx guys
Well the cons to the tri-axle trailer are: 1. Not as maneuverable as a dual tandem because of the extra axle 2. The tires will wear faster on a tri when trying to turn in tight situations (see #1) 3. You have another axle to maintain - brakes, suspension, bearings, etc I wouldn't consider a tri-axle unless it was a very good deal and didn't plan on using it in tight spaces.
I agree w/ everything our expatriate moderator said, and would add: 4. The load is carried on 6 tires, not 8. Another reason for shorter tire life. 5. If you have a flat w/ single tires you must stop immediately; w/ duals you can slow down and limp to a good place to chjange it. Usually a nail in a single trailer tire on a tri-axle results in the tire being destroyed before you can stop. I would not consider a tri-axle w/ single tires unless it was a deal and was going to be used occasionally, w/ relatively light loads. This is coming from a man who has owned and heavily used 2 of them for over 20 yrs. (My father bought the 1st one and I got an extreme deal on the second one)
I got a deal on a tri-axle. It was the worst trailer purchase I have ever made. It eats front axle tires. I have had tires (load range G) with 50% tread blowout when tight cornering on pavement. I have spent more in brakes and tires then I did on the trailer. The duals are usually a little more initial investment but they are worth every penny.
The duals are 2-4000 more but it sounds worth it. Thank you guys for your input
Can you post up a link to the trailer you are looking at?
The only advantage i can see is cost. I think commodity trailer manufacturers can purchase 3 7000# axles(plus the related tires, brakes, and whatnot) cheaper in bulk than 2 10000# axles. Otherwise, why would you bother? You get what you pay for.
Here's one of them, beautiful trailer http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...deck-Gooseneck-Tandem-Dual-W0QQAdIdZ218610605
I have had both i would go with dual tandems any day of the week... More stability Less axle wear, tire wear and better traction
I have seen MANY MANY MANY tri axles snap the axles off pulling in and out of driveways and fields. when you have 20k on the trailer and all the sudden the front two axles are off the ground the back 7k axle doesn't really like the 32K load its taking. i have converted a couple to dual tandem with mixed results.
With 20K on a gooseneck the trailer was overloaded anyways. A 22GN gooseneck rated at 22,000#GVWR minus the empty weight of around 6,000# puts the payload at 16,000#. Granted a tandem is a little more forgiving. I have had both a tandem dual and single tire 3 axle trailer. I like the 3 axle for having 2 less tires to have to replace which 6 tires still had the rating I needed, the ride to me was a bit better. Biggest thing to me was the Texas FM roads have no shoulders & narrow lanes. With our dual tandem we were running with the outer two tires off the road most of the time. What good is a dual tandem when the two inside tires have all the weight on them? If you are in the pasture a lot or off pavement period the tire wear is not excessive on a tri axle. Apples to apples I would pick a dual tandem, but if a 3 axle is cheap enough don't rule it out.
That's a really nice dodge JB.
Thanks, I had ordered it brand new. '06 w/ Cummins & 6spd. Dealership thought I was crazy spending $36,000 ordering one...sticker was $39,500. I love it so much that if somone offered my money back right now I'd say I would have to pass on that offer. Back to the thread this past weekend I hauled a 17,000# loader w/ the Trailmaster dual tandem and had a blowout. Well had no spare and no tire shop around so I limped 30 miles to the tire shop @ 45mph. I would have ruined a wheel with a single tire, but as long as you carry a spare or two it doesn't matter.
My tri axle did have 7K axles and it just wouldn't stop good enough when the time came that you needed to stop in a hurry, ya it only happened about once a year So I put (3) 8K axles with the wide brakes and now it will stop good like the tandem axle trailers. Hauling heavy is all great until you get in an accident then your in trouble. Whatever trailer you get make sure the brakes are in top notch condition. In the picture I'm hauling 16K of gravel and I just went over a hump and both back axles we're off the ground, if they we're 7K axles it would have snapped at the backing plate.
on the slowing down issue I would recommend installing a BD exhaust brake on your truck they work really well.
Ya exhaust brakes are great for stop signs and hills but when some girl talking on her cell pulls out in front of you thats when you need to make sure everything is working good. My buddy has 3 axle dually trailer. Seriously it has (3) 12K axles with dual tires. When I'm over his house I'll take a picture and post it.
As far as the exhaust brake goes, I have done some research on a break that Banks has. It uses the variable geometry turbo and is much more effective. Plus it is not difficult to install, mainly a controller that plugs inline with the computer and a display screen in the cab for controls.
Banks is over rated and over priced they have great marketing though... BD is a very good exhaust brake get the one thats mounted in the exhaust BD exhaust brake power slot cryogenically treated rotors and hawk brake pads makes a pretty good stopping force http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/91P http://www.powerslot.com/power_slot_cryo.php http://www.hawkperformance.com/truck/superduty.php
Thanks for the updates on brakes, although I have gotten out of the machinery hauling biz last year. Mike MC, a buddy of mine has a relatively long gooseneck with tandem duals, but was not enough for his Lull loader and supplies so he added a 3rd dually axle. It really does make for a beastly trailer!
Thanx for the links dzlnut, I've been thinking about an exhaust brake for a long time but am afraid it will harm my motor.
your welcome hougie.....they wont harm your motor I have been running a BD exhaust brake for 8 years without any problems and I know a lot of people with them that have never had a problem with them hurting the motor
WoW! You guys answered my questions too. We just bought a 25' w/dove/ramps and 2 7000# axles and I was contemplating adding a 3rd for extra weight. Then again if I'm going to haul something heavy I'll use something heavier to haul it with.
tandom dual is the way to go like others said 8 tires on the ground, duals can handle the stress in tight turns better than 3 axles. all good advice