Case 450 dozer , I want to replace the fluid and leaking lower suction hose, after reading not sure if I should just use a good quality replacement that equals TCH ms-1210, or use case hy-trans, Definitely don't want to have torque converter issues!!
I have used the good quality replacement that meets hy-trans specs and have never had a problem in my Case backhoe shuttle shift or the hydraulic system.. If that dozer were mine it would have it in it. The oil I use is going for $39.99 at a farm supply store near me.
The torque converter is not the problem. Wet clutches and wet brakes need the protection and are what can fail from the wrong fluid. The torque converter and hydraulics are less sensitive to exact fluid additives. I wouldn't put any fluid in that you see advertised for any less than that $40/bucket price, and be real careful exactly what the bucket is claiming. Assuming you have wet clutches, if it was me and the old fluid was in good shape, the leaks are repaired, etc then I'd be putting in Hytran. If it's going to get drained again before you get all the kinks worked out, go with the cheaper stuff, but not too cheap.
I have a very hard time using cheap, generic fluids and greases of any kind. Your "average" system might hold 15-20 gallons of oil. Last pail of Hytran we purchased was about $60, or $12/gallon. An extra $75-$100 to change hydraulic oil should not be a problem for anyone, including someone who runs a fleet. Hydraulic/transmission oil lasts a minimum of 500 hrs, some machines the change interval is as high as 5000 hrs. If you (I don't mean "you" personally) are one of those guys that dumps all the fluids once a year regardless of hours or condition, there might be a little bit of merit to using generic stuff, but I personally wouldn't. Leaks need to be fixed, clean machines run cooler and have fluid that stays cleaner anyway.
Thanks for the replies ,Picked up machine over summer so I don't know service history , That's why i was going to drain ,fix leaking hose and refill, I have 2 two 5 gallon pails of case hytran still at shop that i was going to use, but after searching the net i have found many posts stating the crawler is better with TCH than its replacment . It's a matter of Hytrans that replaced TCH Fliud @Shimmy1 LOL. i am one of those guys that change fluid once a year with little use! That is on my Hydro 84 Its cheaper to service than replace that hydro unit!! also it only gets the proper fluid no generics ! In the process of fixing broken hour meter now!! @Tinkerer What brand is it? @Delmer Now i have to see if it machine .has them ,where, how many!!
Here is a copy and paste of the oil description on their web site. Description Blains Farm & Fleet Trans-Hydraulic Fluid for Case / IH Tractors meets Case / IH (HYTRAN B-6) requirements. Take care of your equipment and eliminate costly repairs. Features Meets Case / IH (HYTRAN B-6) requirements Protects against brake noise, wear, rust, foam and leaks Extends the life of your equipment For Case / International Harvester
For what it is worth, Case crawler/dozers are one of the few machines Case still specifies TCH over Hy-Tran for. I know my local dealer still stocks TCH specifically for dozers. It is generally true that Hy-Tran replaced TCH for many types of machines, it did not for some model of dozers which I believe the 450 is one. I don’t know all the reasons, but if it was me, I would go with what Case specifies as my time would not be worth the risk of the machine down when I needed it. Reference the case part’s store fluid selector link below to confirm what Case calls out for your machine. http://partstore.casece.com/us/FluidSelectorCCE.html
My Local dealer told me the did not make it anymore! you have a part number by chance? I rather fill with the tch!
As I just coincidentally picked up some TCH from my dealer last week, I am not sure why your dealer told you TCH was unavailable. Actually, it should be available through both the Construction and Ag dealers. In any case, below is a picture of one of the buckets showing number B53977. (trying thumbnail picture option out on this new website format, so it appears you have to click the pic and then select open in new window to view pic full size... Not sure I like this new feature, but wanted to try it) A quick search on the internet finds many dealers listing the B53977 number. Reference example search http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/partssearch.aspx?partnum=b53977&pst=exact If I get a chance on Monday, I will call my dealer and see if there is some other part number to reference.
I was a little worried about this too the first time I serviced my machine. I always try to use the correct oil but you never know what the previous owner or owners did. Not figuring the hydraulic fluid could make a huge difference I found a good quality replacement oil that met the hytran spec at a local shop that I knew would keep the same brand in stock. The transmission was a couple quarts low so I found the leak ( loose hose clamp at Suction line) and got a gallon of TCH from the Case tractor house. A few months later I was talking to a friend that does dirt work for a living and has several dozers. I ask him what oil he uses and he said "yellow bucket" in all older equipment for hydraulics and trans. Said he has been doing this for years with no issues. Kinda makes you wonder. This guy takes excellent care of his stuff and stays really busy too.
Thank you so much!!
I checked with my dealer today regarding TCH part numbers. 139030A1 for a 1 gallon jug B53977 for a 5 gallon bucket B53979 for a 55 gallon drum
I called my local dealer again they tried to sell me the hytrans as the replacement ,so I gave him B53977 for a 5 gallon bucket number he put me on hold for awhile but they have it 110.00 bucks!
Wow, sounds like your dealer is charging shipping to transfer in from another dealership or are taxes in NJ that high? When I needed TCH last week I have got it through Titan Machinery which is located throughout the Midwest and West. Their price was $88 If you have a Case Ag dealer in your area, you might want to give them the same part number and see what price you get.
Our local Case Ag dealer keeps TCH in stock and it's $20 a gallon so $88 for 5 gallons sounds about right. The last gallon I bought looked like it had been on the shelf for several years though.