Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD20E or D7G

PoweredbyCat ยท 2014-02-22 18:16

G'day all! I did search the forums for a thread regarding this to no avail.. A very important question for you , if you were going to buy a farm tractor (I need to clear about 400ha of plantation stumps off my farm) What would you buy if the options were a TD20E or a D7G? I have always had a soft spot for the International as I cut my teeth on a TD20C, from what I understand they were not half the tractor an E is, I also like the 2 speed steering system. On the other hand the D7 is as common as buggery and fairly bullet proof, but also has a substantially high buy price. Any thoughts, advise or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and have a good weekend, PBC

Replies3
  1. #1D6 Merv2014-02-22 21:30

    for my 10 c worth; never drove or fixed TD20s; but knew a guy who had started with a B then C then had 2 20Es they were a good productive machine, and when new probably would have eaten a D7G. From all accounts the weak point is the DVT800 engine, have heard lots of storys of them crapping out; althought don,t know why or what they do. The TD20G had the cummins L10 and have been told of many 20E repowered with a L10. Not sure if dresser or cummins had the kit information. D7G is good and reliable and you can get genuine, pirate or 2nd hand parts, and will still do so for a long time yet. And will always be able to sell it. Bottom line with the IH will be, you will have to be good at fixing her, or know someone who can and wants to. And know of a good parts supply. Is a guy called Rocko 69 from BC canada on redpower who is probably the best guru around for proper 20E advice.

  2. #2PoweredbyCat2014-02-22 21:39

    Cheers D6 Merv! Yeah hearing you on all those points. Parts for the Dresser is definitely a concern especially here in Aus. Will investigate the engine thing, that is the first I have heard about that.

  3. #369Camaro2014-02-24 21:32

    I'm not sure of the reliability of the DVT800, but in my research when I was looking for a dozer I found that they have become very expensive to overhaul. I looked at a TD20 but I don't have any experience with them. I ended up with a D7G and have been very happy with it, does a great job and parts are easy to get. I'm clearing 50 acres of large stumps, it shoves them out with ease. Good luck in your search. Robert