Looking around the net for a winch (yeah I know, cart before the horse..:tong) and trying to get some ideas. There does not seem to be much out there for used winches separate from the machine, at least that I can find. Has anyone used hydraulic truck winches? For example this Warn 20K winch on Ebay and there are others out there as well like Braden and such. We would be doing some light logging with it for firewood or other smaller logs. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Here is another used one on Ebay I found as an example.
I have thought about the same thing. But I have a winch on my tractor so it would just be for occasional use. I also thought about putting a Farmi type winch on it From my books the pump on a TD7G is good for 13.5 gpm and system relief pressure is 2000 psi. All the hydraulic winches seem to be pretty slow with that 13.5 gpm. The Warn 20xl would be less than 20 feet per minute if I interperate there data sheet right. But that might be OK. The winch you want is a Gearmatic 19 ( or equivalent ) and the Dresser adapter. Check out the last post on this thread I started over in Red Power. He says he has what you need. I have not called him yet. http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74792
yeah there appears to be Gearmatic 19's out there too, found one nearby with just a cursory look. Sounds like it is just a matter of adapters and such. They do have their issues though too, found some stuff on a forestry forum abut them. 20' a minute is pretty slow - sigh.. not often is there a quick, easy and cheap way to do things with dozers..
You are right. There is no cheap and easy. This is my dream set-up. Will probably never get there. This dozer is for sale in Maine for about $24k
I've ran those Case 850's before. They were a really nice dozer and had lots of power. Some don't like the controls but I caught right on and liked them. I like that arch setup, looks like it would work great. I'll have to look at that as a possible solution as well. I can't make out the brand and model of that arch though, do you know?
It is a Fransgard v6500 winch. I got the price wrong. They are asking $28,500. It is on Uncle Henry's a Maine classified.
I have a hydraulic winch on the back of one of my 977Hs, and I absolutely love it. The thing I like about a hydraulic winch is that you're not restricted to where you mount it by a driveline, as you can see in the pictures, you can mount it anywhere you want so to speak. On this machine it's probably a good foot and a half higher than where a shaft driven winch would be. This one is a Gearmatic, sorry but I don't know the model off hand, and it runs off an extra valve plumbed into the tractor's hydraulic system. I haven't found anything it won't pull yet and it is reasonably fast too. The only drawback on this particular one is the lack of freespool, or if it has it I haven't figured out how to make it freespool... How big of a tree are you thinking of pulling with it? Perhaps a smaller winch will work for what you are doing so that you have higher line speed? Hope this helps. Cheers:drinkup
I've not seen one like that before. Thanks for the pics. Getting it up high like that seems like it eliminates the need for an arch in the woods. Do you know the hydraulic flow rate you have on that 977hs ? Nice woods too.
Spitzair - What you are pulling would likely be the max of what we would be doing, but we have some downed trees on a steep hillside that we would need to pull up. Our thought is to start stockpiling logs and sell loads of logs for firewood. we have about 450 acres of mostly scrub oak, ash, alder and some timber. My thought on our machine is to get what we can and if we decide we need a bigger machine sell the one we are planning on buying and/or trade up. That's a really big winch though on yours and likeley way more than what we would ever need. Interesting how it is mounted.
g_man, Yeah it's a pretty nifty unit! I have no clue what the flow rate on the 977H is, Ozdozer would definitely know, my guess is it's about 40GPM or something in that neighbourhood... Jaybo, We used to pull trees like that with an old unimog with a PTO winch, I'll see if I can't dig up a picture of it... I really don't think a 10K winch would cut the mustard for more than the occasional tree, this particular one here has 1" cable on it and my guess is it's rated upwards of 40K lbs... I see you're in Oregon, and that has me wondering if you can't find a cheap skidder someplace... A skidder will pull circles even around my machine and you won't be wearing your undercarriage out either... Yes, you'll have another machine to maintain but in my view, expecially with 450 acres, finding a cheap skidder is worth while... Cheers! Edit : Found the pictures of the old Unimog... Probably the most dangerous thing I've used in the bush to date! It was much too light to sit in one spot and pull a tree out if it got hung up on anything, even with the brakes applied it usually dragged itself into the bush. The best part was the control for the winch was right on the winch itself, that's the handle you see to the left of the drum... We usually chained the front of the mog to a tree or a stump so it wouldn't get dragged into the bush, being a teenager eager to please and not knowing any better I went along with it, and of course one day the cable snapped, and I got a real good whipping! So make sure to install a good guard on your machine if you do install a winch because I got extremely lucky, others have been much less fortunate! 1 inch or 2 inch crusher screen works pretty good... Otherwise it was a tough old thing, you just couldn't kill it! Be safe out there! Second Edit : http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/grd/3425913874.html This may be worth looking into... Probably worth giving dude a call and seeing what the deal with it is...
I just called on that skidder, it works and runs, they guy sounded in his 70's or 80's it was a "military" one and thinks it weighs about 16K or so. Not a lot to go on and a 3 hr drive to go look .. hmmm hauling cost would not be cheap either but it is an interesting thought. Love your home made winching rig! Looks like that thing did it's share of work! As far as a winch I found a line on one up in Edmonton AB called and left a VM - The guy supposedly wants rippers and has a Carco 30 on his TD7G ill see if he calls back and what he might want for it. Anyone have an idea what one of those weighs? Regarding the 10k winch comment, I meant 10 ton as a minimum. I was looking at the new Warn stuff and found 30K Warn for $3700 At the Warn Factory Outlet website - It's not "cheap" but I would think it would be heavy enough. Unknown used and shipping costs and all that vs. new ... *shrug* Lots to think about
A 10 ton winch would be good I think! The one we had on that unimog was I believe rated at 4 tons and if the unit was anchored it would pull an amazing load! Too bad you weren't looking for one last winter, a buddy of mine scrapped a TD9 with a winch on the back, I had it advertised for a while but nobody wanted it and my buddy wanted it gone so it went to the melters... I'd be tempted to go look at that skidder myself, if a winch itself costs $3700, you still need to mount it, plumb it, etc. and by the time you get all that done you could have that skidder hauled out to your place and can go straight to work with it... But that's just my oppinion and I'm kind of bad for collecting machines...
I'm not really much of a wrench, I'm better as an operator so I dunno if I want to get into an old machine like that. Tempted to go look at it just because it's so cheap though. The winch isn't cheap, but it is new so that's the real attraction. I'm figuring $500 or so in labor and steel to fab up a mount, not sure what hose and a valve and T fittings to tap in would run...
I hear ya! I'm a tinkerer myself that's why I was inkling towards the old skidder...
You guys are making me want to buy an old dozer with a winch. Cool stuff spitzair. :cool2
Sent you a message Scott
and reply sent back
Hey G-Man - I called those guys on redpower at the end of that thread and while they didn't have anything for me they had a guy with the Same TD7G in Edmonton with a complete Carco30 with the driveshaft, and controls. He's looking for rippers for his machine though and would just rather trade across for them. Otherwise he want's $6k for everything. It's a good deal but it is also a 2000 mile round trip.. Waterman has a line on a winch too, that he is checking out for me. A helpful bunch all of you are! I appreciate it!
Here is one in Boise. Came off a TD8E. Should go right on your TD7G. General Gear. Look in the IH TD7 TD8 section. Needs the fairlead fixed. http://www.tractorparts.com/ih.htm
g-man - The picture right next to it is the same winch - it's sold ...
Have a look in the for sale section of the forum! Someone put up a Carco 30 winch, maybe it will work for you?