Still looking for a cheap dozer for home use only and have come across an old International TD9 on Craigslist. The ad says it runs good but needs right rear final drive bearings. How much of a pain is it to do on this machine? Any special tools required? What can I expect dollar wise on parts if bearings is all it needs? Thanks guys.
Been rebuilding a D39p/TD9h for almost a year. first thing I tackled was the right final. Found the bearings gone and both gears and the axle totaled. Had to machine the housing bearing and seal area. The left final was leaking but caught it in time, gears and axle were good, just pulled the axle and the bottom gear. Did have to repair the seal area on that one to, but did it on the dozer ( you could see the seal when it was all assembled). To answer your question, if you dont have teephees in the pan you could possibaly just pull the axle out and repair it. Just need some kind of long thread rod to press the axle out and usual tools. If I remember, bottom bearings were about 400, seal was about 150 ( the cheaper ones were out of stock).
Used it a couple of days part time by now, realy like this machine.
Thanks much Iron@Dirt, I appreciate it.
The fill and the drain plug on mine has a magnet built in. It is easy to look for shavings or gear teeth with the fill plug. You can also get a glimpse on the bull gear thru the fill hole. If you see bad teeth on the bull gear you most likely also have a bad top gear also. When the bearings get loose enough the axle rotates at an angle to the top gear, eventualy scraping both. You can get a top gear with shaft (one piece) for about 300 and the bottom gear from 1000 to 5800, list price at the dealer. Hope all that helps with your decission.
A huge help! Thanks again.
If the bearings need renewing,you may also find damaged pinion or bullgear in there. Parts are not too hard to get in the USA,but you need to allow for a possible full repair on that final drive.Also ensure the engine is in good working order. The TD9 is a good farm dozer. Good thing about the IH dozers is you don't need a lot of specialized push/pull gear...they are fairly farmer-friendly. Visit the Redpower site for info.
Thanks Jim. I've been lurking over at Redpower for a while now and finally joined a couple days ago. I was contacted by a local gentleman who has an old Oliver DDH that needs an engine rebuild and am going to look at it in a couple weeks. Also, an owner got back to me regarding a TD6 that needs engine work as well. So...at the moment I'm not sure exactly which machine I may end up with. Any of these machines will do what I need. It'll probably come down to which one will be cheapest to buy and cheapest to get home. The Oliver is closest and the owner said he'd probably sell it to me for scrap price.