First tele but lots of heavy equipment experience. We will mostly be using it to install some large palm trees and then for work associated with building a single story house (max height 16ft, max depth 22ft). I need something in the 10-12k range, mostly for some of these palms. This will be replacing an ancient Cat IT-12 that was occasionally a little overmatched on the palms. Was hoping for some advice on models that are pretty nimble, what features would be particularly helpful for that kind of work (frame leveling, outriggers) and then what reach for a single story (42 vs 54). Is the ability to turn the forks from side to side worth springing for? Frame leveling really helpful? Outriggers? The site is relatively open, but I have to maneuver into some tight spots, so wanted as short a wheelbase and tight a turning radius as possible in that size. I was leaning towards a newer lower hrs (2-3k) unit but am flexible. Was thinking JLG or sky track. Given I’m framing this with just me and two guys, I just wanted something really safe and reliable.
Budget?
Prefer to be under 65k, love to be under 55k. Intention is to keep it through the build then likely re-sell
That's a realistic budget. So often folks do not have a realistic purchase price for what they want. Personally I'd go with a Gradall even though they haven't been made in a while and have alot of age on them. Bought a new 534D6 in 1998 that I still own today. IIRC it has around 4K hours on it. If nothing else on the yard will fire off ol' Blue will. It's been a great machine. Looking at what's for sale they are within your budget and the resale value kinda shows how good the machines are. Gradall for sale on Machinery Trader The majority of the parts on mine are off the shelf items that can be sourced locally. The little Cummins is found in thousands of machines over the years. Just remember buyer beware when it comes to internet equipment for sale as there are scams everywhere. We've had several threads here on HEF of the horror stories of people who sent money without inspecting the machine only to find out the seller was a scam. Best advice I have is do not wire any money for a machine until you or someone you trust has inspected the machine.
Appreciate the intel. My old cat it12 is like that, just always works. But it’s a pretty rough machine, loud, bad brakes, etc. I’m guessing given the amount I’ll use it in total, I should probably look at gradall and lull as well since they have a good record on the reliability front. My concern was that it’s just 3 of us building the house and I was having nightmares about machine failures hurting someone so I was veering towards something newer. That said, my newer machines have had far more technical issues.
I rented a couple of Pettibone on my house job. Those are pretty simple and solid. No frills but no surprises. If your site is open and not big technical stuff you can do without the swing carriage, what you are calling "turn the forks side to side". They all have frame leveling in that size range. Outriggers are typically reserved for 1056 sized machines. I can't recall running a 44 with outriggers. There are some things that demand a swing carriage. Spotting logs on a log cabin so nobody has to bust a nut takes a swing carriage. That was a JLG skytrak. I never had an issue with one, I ran that one at the limits all last summer.
Does the work I am doing seem like I would benefit from outriggers? I dont think I probably need a 56 since its a long, narrow single story house. I’m assuming 4wd steer is pretty handy to have?
Anything 10 or 12k capacity is going to automatically have outriggers and 4 wheel steer. 8k forklifts- outriggers are then a option. Personally, I like the rear engined JLG skytrak 10054's(10k capacity/54' boom- there's also a 12k but they aren't as common) the best. next best is the 1255 or 1055 jlg/ cat with the motor mounted on the side. The skytrak are a little simpler, visibility is better, and they turn a little shorter than the 1055's.
Outside of reach, can anyone comment on the differences between the 10054 and the 10042? Any reason the 42 wouldn’t work for what I’m doing? Is it one less section in the boom?
If space is a real concern, the 10 and 12k machines are quite a bit longer wheelbase, and do turn a lot wider. If you only need a 10-12k machine for setting the trees, rent it. The rest is single story, and you can likely get by with a much smaller machine. You can rent telehandlers in pretty much any location, and they are reasonably priced (I think). Rent it for the 3 weeks you need it. If it goes down, all it takes is a phone call. Want a big skid loader with forks for the tight spots? On the phone and send the tele back, and get a skid. In renting, you don't have the compromises of a single machine. And don't tie up $50-60,000 of capital. I do think the only difference in a 42 and 54 is a section of boom. If I'm buying, I want as much boom as I can buy.
The only issue I ever really had with Skytracks was the driveshaft between the engine and transmission broke at the welds on the yokes on a few of them in the fleet. Other than that they're about as simple and reliable as they get.
I wanted one to sell after I needed it for a project, and was told the 8k series is most popular and easiest to sell. But the machine is so useful, years have gone by: I still have it. Have these accessories: a man basket, a cleanup bucket for moving gravel and loose dirt (not excavating), a jib, two sets of forks: lumber and standard. For general building work such as concrete forming materials n rebar, shading gravel fill, handling lumber and beams, trusses and roof sheathing, loading shingles, setting big windows and doors, and moving drywall - the machine is invaluable. Before I decided on a reachlift instead of a new pickup, I had rented Gradalls w the rear wheel steer for many many jobs, and indeed they will conduct exercises moving materials at grade with tremendous ability (like a forklift but way better).....however, I felt the crab feature of the four wheel steer was a benefit for those tricky tricky tasks. Either one is much better than having none. Building a house with a reachlift eliminates much work. Imagine being on a roof and reaching over for the lumber like one was in the workshop - cause ye served the lumber up with the reachlift. Many of these machines have velocity checks in the hydraulics that will prevent boom gravity events. Please to make sure to understand the center of gravity and how it moves with the load and the boom position as to the stability of the machine and just how it controls the load. I was all about the skytrack due to the floating axle lock system sophistication, but when I saw the hydraulics under the floor board and thought hmm what could a rebar do to that.....I went for a simpler mechanism to accomplish the lock the 'other axle'.