Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Temporary installation of slope meters

CascadeScaper ยท 2013-04-13 17:26

Hey everyone, looking for suggestions on temporary installation of slope meter in a dozer. I hate to "cheat", but I'm not a seasoned dozer hand and they sure make things a little easier if you're going to rough in a slope before it gets staked. I think eventually I'll develop a feel for the slopes but they sure are handy as they'll read percentages up to 5 or 6, kinda slick for shallow swales, roughing a roadway cut and the like. Since I'm a hired hand, I have no problem purchasing one for myself but want to be able to take it with me from dozer to dozer. Looking for any suggestions for mounting setups and best way to calibrate them on a regular basis. Thanks!

Replies12
  1. #1pp13bnos2013-04-14 00:29

    I don't know what type of cell phone you have, but if you're looking for something to get you in the ball park, they have free apps that would work. All you would have to do is find some way of mounting your cell, calibrate it and your good to go. Free, cheap, and stealthy.

  2. #2AustinM2013-04-14 01:01

    I don't think there is any "cheating" at all by installing a slope meter. The only portable slope meters I have ever seen are the ones with a bubble in it so I don't know if there is even a way to calibrate them. But I think if you wanted to move it from machine to machine you could either try small suction cups to stick to the window or even better might be velcro tape? It may be tough to get off the window but it might be an option.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2013-04-14 01:35

    I've heard of guys using magnets and the like. I suppose if there's a grab iron somewhere, even if it's not right on the dash, a guy could hang it from just about anywhere and plumb it up. I have plenty of ideas on how it might work, just looking to see if someone has nailed down a foolproof plan. If not, I may just pony up for one and hit the shop to build a traveling mount for it.

  4. #4hvy 1ton2013-04-14 04:08

    Everything better with ram mounts. With enough bits you could mount anything in anything. I'll look through our pile of bits see if i get any clever ideas. Website if you want to waste some time. http://www.rammount.com/

  5. #5grandpa2013-04-14 07:22

    Heck a string tied to the cab with a weight such as a plumb bob works in a pinch.

  6. #6Zed2013-04-14 10:00

    Cat make a little one part # 224-3969.

  7. #7alco2013-04-14 10:19

    I had a slope meter mounted on a couple of big magnets that I would stick to the hood right in front of the front window. Worked great for me! I had two magnets from trouble lights bolted onto an aluminum bracket I made up, and had the slope meter mounted to that, just like you'd mount it in a machine. If I could figure out what I did with it, I'd send it to ya.

  8. #8DPete2013-04-14 10:22

    I cheat, anything that gets the job done faster and more accurate is smart, not really cheating. Put one in a 6R that didn't have a radio, not temporary I know. A strong magnetic mount on the hood would be good for you. So you're not confused this meter shows 8:1, 4:1, 2:1 etc slopes, another version is in percent

  9. #9CascadeScaper2013-04-14 12:52

    Thanks guys! DPete, that's the one, the No. 1 Slope Meter. Spent a little time at the school in a blade and of course, got used to seeing the No. 2 in the cab of the blades. I'm leaning toward the magnet idea, I was also thinking about a way to tie into the grab iron that's in front of the dash, seems most dozers have them. However, couple magnets and throwing it on the hood sounds pretty darn good as well and probably less complicated. Think I'll order one this week and get something started. Not sure how much dozer I'll be running this year but it couldn't hurt to be prepared.

  10. #10Turbo218352013-04-14 12:54

    Some time ago I found a slope meter for agricultural drainage purposes. It was a simple plastic gauge on two pieces of rod that were mounted to magnets. I have lost the link to the website on an old computer. I would be interested in grabbing one or two if anyone comes across it. Another one I have used is a stanely level. This particular one more or less has an angle indicator on it, and once you have a good idea of where your at, it makes things easier at a simple glance. http://www.stanleytools.com/default...sc=FatMax+Xtreme®+Magnetic+Torpedo+Level Im sure you could also spend a few bucks more and buy a "smart level" that has a digital angle read out

  11. #11alco2013-04-14 18:34

    That's the same as the one I had, or have....if I ever find it. Check on EBay, that's where I got mine, CHEAP.........I think it was around $50 brand new. I had checked here at the Cat dealer, and it was over $300.

  12. #12CascadeScaper2013-04-14 22:49

    Will check Ebay first but I know you can buy them direct from the manufacturer for about $150 I believe.