Hi Folks, Looking for some pointers on my Terex 760B with a Perkins 1004C. We are in TX and normally do not have to deal with colder temps but regardless the starting issue is still prevalent in warmer conditions (just much worse in the 30s and 40s). So I always have to crank this thing for longer than desired and while cranking fumes of white smoke are rolling out the exhaust. Eventually it will always start (assuming we don't kill the battery). But it takes an excessive amount of cranking. The glow plug light does show and I do not believe this is the main cause as in the 80s and 90s, we still have to crank her for 15-20 seconds. However, I have no tested it. We always have lots of white smoke during cranking. Any tips? Also, I have noticed a very small oil leak coming from the turbo. This is an external leak. I replaced the incoming and exiting oil line gaskets. So that was not the source of the leak. I am pretty sure the turbo itself is leaking. I am thinking that it may possibility leaking on the turbine side which may be creating the hard starting & fumes of white smoke? Thanks!
And just to let you know, once it fires up, it does not smoke and runs great.
Pull the air filters out when diagnosing. Change the fuel filters. The lift pump is notorious for going bad.. Gotta check the glow plugs.. Pull the fuel line from the tank TO the filter & back blow it w/ compressed air..