Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex Anybody?

rutwad ยท 2008-03-01 08:39

I honestly never remember ever seeing a Terex TLB. Maybe they are more common in other areas, or maybe they are not that common at all. I have actually searched used Terexes on the internet and the price and specs make them really appealing. Does anyone know much about the Terex, anybody own one? Good? Bad? What do you think? THANKS!!! :usa

Replies10
  1. #1ror76a2008-03-01 11:17

    Before Terex bought them they were Fermec, and Massey Fergison before that. I remember the old Massey's were an allright machine, but they had a hyd moter for the swing on the hoe instead of cylinders, and were really toutchey. No power if you wanted to push some dirt sideways with the hoe. Those machines were made a long time ago, they have probaly changed them since then. They certianly have a low price on the Terexs, but I suspect you get what you pay for with them. I have never been around one, so I can't really say if they are good or bad or what.

  2. #2rutwad2008-03-01 15:43

    Thanks for your input. I would never imagine a manufacture using a hyd. motor to swing the 'hoe. I can't say either, but I am guessing either it has been improved or more than likely, done away with completely. I heard that a Terex was basically a Cat. I would not think it is, but I guess anythingis possible. I did notice Terex uses a Perkins engine, which is owned by Cat. Someone also told me Terex has a 3 yr. warranty. I found a new one advertised for sale with 1 year warranty. Anybody know?

  3. #3pwrstroke6john2008-03-01 16:22

    we have a 01 fermec which is a year before they became terex's. Ours is only the 760 which I think became the 820, but its a nice machine and for the price is a great machine.The newer 06 and newer are alot nicer and most have the excavator controls, and the larger ones are all pilot controls.

  4. #4capt_met2008-03-01 17:33

    i was impressed by the price as well. we have a local equipment rental place that rents them out. i asked how they were running for them and they had nothing but good to say. one of the tlb's had 2600 hours and only routine maintenance. i thought this was good for a rental machine. it was funny though when i asked how it compared to the deere they said the deere was much nicer. when i asked what it was that made the deere nicer they admitted neither had sat in one (deere) for 3 years and said it was what they heard. good luck,

  5. #5Ray Welsh2008-03-01 17:35

    Terex made and still make good gear. I go back to the days when the brand name was Euclid. At one time they made the worlds largest bulldozer called TC-12. They used screamin gemmys and allison trannys. Both were pretty good in those days. Nowdays Terex name is still found on large excavators and dumpers.........C ya..........Ray

  6. #6JS580SL2008-03-01 18:11

    Im not a perkins fan but they use carraro axles and transmitions like case so thats one good aspect.

  7. #7KSSS2008-03-01 18:18

    Fermec was owned by CASE prior to the CNH merger. Fermec had to be sold off to complete the CNH merger.

  8. #8sheepfoot2008-03-02 18:56

    fermec backhoe This machine was also sold under kobelco about 11/12 years ago in the u s, i can remember seeing the machines around here. As for the swing motor, deere used this system also,years ago, IH Had the hyd rack and pinion system, fords two cylinders and a chain, but now it's mostly two double acting hyd cylinders that i have seen. I have run several terex TLB machines and they do very well.

  9. #9Turbo218352008-03-02 20:19

    I have an uncle who has a 760 on his farm. Its was one of the first, in fact i belive it was the first sold by the dealer in our area. It was built as a fermec, then Terex bought the line. They re painted and serial numbered the machine. As far as how its holding up? Not bad. We have had some issues, 1 is the transmission. It had to be replaced, and the dealer said it was due to excesive roading. 2 is the coupler on the loader. Its a quick hitch system, the problem is its the same style as a bobcat coupler. The first design had some weak areas that have since been improved. There have been a few fit an finish issues in the cab, but with all the plastic its no suprise. Its a good machine. One thing to consider when purchasing one is weather its a 1 operator machine or are there going to be multipull operators. If your going to be the only operator, or have one operator for the machine, then i dont see many issues. You take care of a machine differently if you know its your machine and if it breaks you will be sitting at home. If you bounce the machine between crews and operators, I dont think it will hold up like a case, deere, or cat will.

  10. #10rutwad2008-03-02 20:26

    Thanks for the replies. It sounds like Terex must be a pretty good machine. http://www.infolink.com.au/articles/FB/0C03A1FB.aspx I found a little history on it.