I've got to be the last one in the forum to see the video of the new tigercat 880 shovel loggers.A madill guy at the Oregon log show said it would never make it to iron.looks like it made it to me,looks like it loads pretty well but I'm curious how it logs or runs a head.or how it does on fuel.so many questions.anyone heard anything?
When Madill went sideways a group of the engineers were immediately snatched up by Tigercat and the 880 was going to be basically a yellow Madill 2850C- or so it has been said. When Madill was purchased by Modern and the threat of legalities became apparent, Tigercat was forced to make a few changes and re-designs to make the machine different than the Madill. It will be interesting to see where this all goes..... Power is a 300 hp Cummins QSL9 Tier 3, weighs about 95,000 lbs on a D7 pitch crawler. The haven't released the flow or makes of the hydraulic, swing, and finals.
Watching the video it looks smooth and fast enough,but that's just loading.the pictures of the engine compartment are very interesting.hope they have one I. Eugene this year,if I'm lucky they might have one at the sierra logging show in redding
The Madill 2850C is an awesome machine, lots were sold and they are working every single day. This is Tigercat's knock-off, and in my experience excellence is easy to imitate and difficult to duplicate..... If a person is serious they can own a new Madill 2850C in short order. I'd sure stick with the venerable orange group rather than gamble on the newbie. Nicholson isn't going anwhere, and I'm hearing GREAT things about thier program. Just one person's opinion- don't freak out on me now, Tigercat fans. :cool2
I hope there will be a few new shovels at the Oregon show this year. I for one want to crawl all over one of these machines. Eric has a point though about trying to duplicate something that is already proven in the woods. This will be a cool thing to watch and see how it turns out. I think they are neat looking machines but that's just my opinion.
Well the Tigercat 880 will do just fine I'm sure. If given the opportunity, I'd love to run one in the brush for a day. Logging machinery is cool no matter what the sticker says, or what color the paint is. New is even better! One thing is for sure, the crew designing the Tigercat 880 can most certainly design/build a great logging machine! They have done it before, it just wasn't yellow last round. These men will be duplicating work they have already done once. I had a conversation this morning about all this and it was pointed out to me that the machines likely will be nearly identicle. It will really just come down to parts availability and dealer support. In the Western U.S.A Modern will support the Madill and Triad will support the Tigercat. Modern is a much, much larger company and traditionally Triad has had some real struggles with parts inventory, service support, etc. Anyone with an older Link-Belt know those struggles well. It will be interesting to watch, anyway.
Good point RG. I think that brand names will have some affect where these machines are most popular. I know that the Tigercat isn't used very much on the west coast but I feel that their machines are very popular on the eastern side of the US and I think Canada as well. I just hope to see one in person at some point.
Can they really be that similar?from the pictures of the engine compartment,the engine sits on the opposite side as the cab with what looks like the pump pointing towards the front.it also seems to be loaded with electronic devises that control everything.I'm not to familiar with the madills,but aren't they fairly simple with the only computer being for the engine?
I am a Tigercat fan, but if it's orange, its better however we don't use machines like the 880 here so I wouldn't be able to comment, but from what I have seen it looks pretty well built, not that Tigercats in general aren't... Do you think they will be making a smaller one, one better suited to roadside processing sort of work, something like a JD 2154? I think that would be pretty cool, I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat
is there a link to the video somewhere? cheers trev
got pictures yet tigercat finally have a log loader for the westcoast
Look it up on the Big 'G', find it all place. Theres a couple videos on yall tube.
Link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13m4zx4shqU . Local fellow is demoing the 880 as we speak, he also has a new Madill 2850 so it will be interesting to hear the tale of the tape after both have been put thru their paces...