Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terex S7 Questions

malcolm2 ยท 2010-10-17 20:36

I put about 1 hour on my new(?) S7. I have already learnt to pull in first when loading, very erratic steering, and maintenance is high (second hose repair). I do have a few questions about this dinosaur (green lizard) 1. I looked for a fuel gauge or sight glass. And there is a screen in the filler tube. How do you check fuel level? 2. It seems to lack enough power to load. I am changing fuel filters and air filters. What can be done for transmission. Filter, oil change? Oil is bright red and does not smell burnt. 3. I looked for an engine oil filter. Is it the round plate at bottom of oil pan? Tnanks for any info.

Replies6
  1. #1Rusted2010-10-17 20:54

    With the elevator gear removed (from your last thread), you aren't going to get much of a load in it at all unless you push load it...which I'd ve very careful about as it's a sliding floor bowl. There is no fuel guage from memory.

  2. #2Buckethead2010-10-17 21:34

    No fuel gauge on Euclid or Terex pans that I remember. Unless you have an elevator you need a pushcat to get a heaping load. Like Rusted said not sure that's a good idea with the sliding floor. Not sure about the oil filter. If I remember right the ones I ran (terexes but not s7) had spin-on oil filters. (Maybe the older ones were cartridge type?)

  3. #3WabcoMan2010-10-18 17:29

    OK, S7's S7's have no Fuel gauge ! - Take the cap off and use a piece of wire as a depth gauge. Later units had a flat steel dipstick with graduations but it got lost easily. You didn't mention if your S7 was a US or UK build. All the US machines have GM 4-71's in them rated between 138 and 148 hp depending on year. The UK machines have a nasty Leyland mobile oil leak that passes for an engine at about the same hp rating. S7's are not known for their self loading ability but it can be done if you take long shallow cuts - dont spin the wheels up it just wears out the tires. A drop center cutting edge is more efficient than a straight edge in clay. The kind of material you're loading will directly affect how fast it loads. Engine oil filter should be on the RH side of the block, externally mounted about half way down. Its a cartridge type in a canister (not a spin on) right next to the oil cooler. Have fun - S7's are fun machines :drinkup

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2010-10-18 22:06

    Now thats funny! Especially considering the rep the Detroits have for dribbling their oil.:drinkup

  5. #5WabcoMan2010-10-19 17:23

    Yes that is kinda funny. At least wheb the 4-71 was leaking you knew that it was running properly Its when the stop leaking that you know you've got a problem !! Malcolm2 - The red oil is normal grade for an Allison transmission (Dexron) and if it doesn't smell burnt and looks clear then your transmission is probably OK. The oil gets dirty & fibrous real quick if the plates are slipping

  6. #6malcolm22010-10-19 19:55

    Thanks for all the info wabcoman. It is the 471. Tomorrow I put in fresh filters and oil.