Machine is a Terex TB44 man lift. The problem I am having with this machine is that the controls in the basket will intermittently stop responding/not work at all. When the controls do fail, the functions on the ground control panel all work fine. When the controls are dead in the control panel, everything is dead. The red emergency shut off switch will not shut the machine down, none of the joystick controls or toggle switches do anything.... etc. Sometimes simply pushing down on the foot pedal will make the engine stall. The master on/off/crank switch on the basket control panel does seem to have a hard spot in it, and I am wondering if the master switch has some internal problem causing it to stop providing power to the controls.... When the machine is operating correctly, everything thing works well, very smooth, crisp...etc but when it starts acting up it seems that no amount of fiddling with it helps. I may replace this just to rule out a potential problem. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
by master do you mean the red e-stop? or the start-e power switch? you may try looking at your power cable where it twists and turns at the basket. it may have gotten damaged. you may also need to check the connectors at the botttom of the ground control box. remove the hex head bolt and pull the plug down. check for pushed in pins or sockets or green corrosion. clean it up good and slap some silicon grease on there.
By master I mean the rotary switch that can crank the motor over.
Worst thing about the Terex machines is they use the OEM Optimizer digital control system. They are a complex controller that you can't do anything with unless you have the Optimizer scan tool, and one model of scan tool is like 800 dollars. The Optimizer controls every function of the machine, starting, stopping, and operation. Aside from that, that start/stop switch at the platform is pretty common, should be able to find a replacement at a good auto parts store, Borg Warner or Standard Ignition catalog. As mentioned by bobb, be sure and look closely at the cable that runs from platform to ground. Look for any bad spots in the cable.
that rotory switch he mentioned is a big red goofy lookin switch. i have never seen one like it exept on a terex. not to say that i am a worldly person in the equipment world. i have just never seen it anywheres else. i also forgot to mention lookin at the connector at the platform control box. these things are compputer controlled so a little bit of water in them can be a big problem. thats why i like to slather on some silicon grease. it may not be the factory advise but i have found it useful. lookin at the itty bitty leds on the puter boards is sometimes useful too. put on your reading glasses cause your gonna need um.
Sounds good, thanks guys. When it dries up a little around here I will start to use the machine again, and pay attention to the LEDs, as well as get a new master switch for it.
its been a long time but if your engine compartment has the metal plate with the dorf solenoid on it along with the start cube type relay and whatnot. you may want to keep it covered wit some sort of plastic bag, cause the rain tends to get to it.......if i remember it right. also if yours is deutz powered remember that the cam is belt driven.
i have a TB42 Terex that the aerial controls won't rotate l/right,boom ext./retract,drive fwd.rev,boom lift/lower and they work on the ground control station.Checked all wires for shorts and found none and getting a good 13.5 volts to all controls. What did you end up finding wrong with yours? Any ideas what i should check next?
Terex is really appreciate the smooth performance.
Any idea where I can buy/rent/borrow one? Genie doesn't respond to requests.
You will have to go through the dealer network. Good luck on any help as most places that are rental companies can not find the time to fix their own machines never mind help you with yours. Guys like us are left out here swinging in the breeze.
Were you able to solve your problem? I'm having a similar problem with a Terex TB44, only I've inherited it after someone else has had a good go at trying to fix it first. I am trying to repair this machine in my spare time which means when it's dark out or raining. I thought I could break it down to go through it and verify all connections first so I removed the basket controls so that I could go through it on the bench. I found a schematic online through the Genie site, but seems to be a generic one that they have on there for every model of Terex TB lifts and is definitely different than this one. I've talked to our local Genie service tech who called all the contacts that he knew at Terex or that had worked on them and no one seems to have any schematics beyond what I've already found. I'm wondering if anyone may have another resource where I may be able to find the proper schematic? It's a 1998 Terex TB44 ser: 99610030, Ford 4cyl gas engine, OEM SuperFlex system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Andy, were you able to solve your problem?
I have same problem. Terex Mod Tb 42. Any ideas for help? Does anyone work on them? Illinois
Here I sit and whine that I have to work on Grove Manlift! And there’s people who have it real bad - they have to mess with Terex!
Yes I've been able to get mine working, I still have a couple of things to repair but it is now functional which is great. I eventually got a hold of someone helpful at Terex, and although they were not able to help me they told me the name of a company that prints all of their manuals and I was able to get a complete manual for this machine from them (at a cost of $250 USD). The manual was a great help for the most part, I think it was definitely money well spent - this allowed me to correct and understand a lot of the wiring on this particular machine. However I also discovered that I had a problem with one of the main circuit boards (I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head), and of course these are no longer made and the cheapest 'new' one I could find was $2500. I ended up sending my original one to Providence Industrial and they repaired it, still cost me $700. Once I had the control wiring sorted and the board fixed I was in business (of course I had a bit of engine tune-up and carb adjustments, hoses to replace, etc.), but the electrical was the real stumbling block for me. If there's something in particular you need information on I can send you some sheets from the manual (or I can look up the name of the company if you wanted to order your own), for the most part it's the same as the online manual you can find on the Genie site, there's just a few more schematics and of course it's much clearer and easy to read. It's definitely a more complex control system then I'd worked on in the past, so it's pretty tough to help you trouble shoot without more information. The OEM control system with the Optimizer had me worried, I'd actually been talking to an engineer at OEM that was trying to help me, although there was some information that was proprietary and he couldn't share, but fortunately when I got the board back everything seems to be just fine so I guess I side stepped that issue. I also had a weird setup in mine - it seemed to have the control system from a TB60 in my TB44 (with some of the functions transmitted wirelessly from the basket), but with the manual I was able to make sense of it. I think mechanically it's a great machine, just some weak and expensive control system components.
Andy, I have a terex tb44 and it has the same problem, I sent my card to Providence industrial and they said the card is good. I want to get a service manual, can you send me the name of the company you purchased your manual from. I called terex and could not get any help. Thanks
Try Genie or even IR ( Ingersol Rand ) for similar machines. As far as I know they all “descendants” of Square Shooter.
Thanks, I did see one on the Genie site but it covered several models, I was hoping to find one specific to my model, Andy’s post indicted he ordered one from the printing company for $250.
Hello Marty, I ordered the shop manual for my TB 44 from Sycamore Enterprises in Evansville, IN. www.sycamoreworldwide.com Ph# 812-477-2266 The manual item# TXA-17156 They were very good to deal with, good luck with your machine.
Marty, which board did you send in? The reason I ask is the board in the basket controls doesn't control all the functions in the basket as you would think it does. Andy mentions he found the controls to be the same as another TB in the manual, as did I. However he says they appear to be transmitted wireless, I physically traced down the wiring on mine and found that 2 joysticks actually skip the basket board and go to the lower board in the lower control panel via the plug on the left "BT2" if memory serves me
I have the same issue and sent my boards out to providence industrial, one was bad, and installed it with no correction to intermittent controls from the platform. Any suggestions, possibly a sensor of some sort?
sterling..check all your harness connections un plug them check for carosion.. then make sure all are pluged in and tight.. be first place to start
any parts you need call alexander equipment in boueas ill
thank you. i have checked and cleaned all switches and harness connections. i found one switch for the basket swivel was broken as well as the potentiometer for the hydraulic speed control. no part numbers on that and cant find in manual, not sure if that would make a difference. Also changed all starter solenoids and relays. could it possibly have something to do with a faulty induction limit switch on the boom?
sterling ..call tom at 815 929 1047 he is at alexanders in illnois he knows terex inside out .i am confident he can poit u in right direction
he also has any parts u need. very nice people and helpful
tell him carl in mo sent ya
and one quick check u can do is unplug bt6 on your multiplex board in lower controll box.. it controlls your funtion disable to platform .. iif there is a prob there it should allow u to operate
the sensors on boom controll your high speed funtion..it is a safty feature so if your up in platform u can only move machine in slow
hope this helps u i know its hard to find people who know about these older machines
something else to be aware of ..whe u got look at genielift.com manuals..the TB44 units sometimes had 2 differant platform controll boxes..the marklift ch44 had its own box ..so alot of tb 44 boxes were tb 42 boxes..that where u have to look to get proper parts numbers.....
Hello Andy, did I see somewhere that you were willing to email pages from your manual? I am in need of the TB44 schematics. I have the Genie Manual but it does not match. I will be willing to pay.