Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Terms used in the business.

Truck Shop · 2024-12-22 10:11

Cratered, grenaded, shelled, ventilated, windowed, and-----------

Replies86
  1. #1skyking12024-12-22 10:53

    I like windows. Before I had a license and was riding bike everywhere, I was riding down the road and heard a 68 Firebird behind me, pull out and cough a bit. That pizzed the young idiot off so he got right on it, broke the tires loose and I turned around in time to see it dump most of the oil on the road and come to a stop. It wasn't a year later that I was in R&Q's bone yard of dead engines and found that 396 big block, belly up and really windowed. Apparently he was able to start it again and then it tossed all sorts of rods

  2. #2Greatwestcam2024-12-22 12:32

    ----- spat out a part number, fubar (***ked up beyond all recognition),---

  3. #3Nige2024-12-22 12:51

    Farnarkled......

  4. #4Vetech632024-12-22 13:03

    I use f+#$, sh)@, damm&%, son of a b&*%+ quite often.

  5. #5Shimmy12024-12-22 15:19

    Fagged out, wiped out, left the chat, cried uncle, gave up the ghost, **** the bed.....

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-12-22 16:53

    Rhubarb'ed

  7. #7Birken Vogt2024-12-22 17:29

    With regards to major lower end disassembly Threw a leg out of bed Come unraveled

  8. #892U 34062024-12-22 17:48

    Mint! (If ya know, you know)

  9. #992U 34062024-12-22 17:50

    Farmerized. This is a completely different level than bush league.

  10. #10Vetech632024-12-22 18:00

    Need more Detroit threads

  11. #11Mike L2024-12-22 18:55

    Turkey legged

  12. #12funwithfuel2024-12-22 19:13

    Regarding electrical systems, relays and computers. " The genie's out of the bottle " But that's no problem for me, i still have a couple bottles of NOS Lucas smoke. I found it works in Bosch, Tyco, Amphenol and Deutsch too

  13. #13funwithfuel2024-12-22 19:14

    I know that guy, he hangs around all my jobs

  14. #14Mike L2024-12-22 19:22

    Do you have a source for that? All my local parts house are back ordered on wiring harness smoke and I’m just about out of it.

  15. #15funwithfuel2024-12-22 19:25

    I think this is the new part number.

  16. #16JaredV2024-12-22 19:27

    I know about the replacement smoke but I've never figured out how it's recharged into the wiring.

  17. #17Shimmy12024-12-22 19:29

    I've only heard of it as "magic smoke", once you let it out, POOF, it's gone.

  18. #18Mike L2024-12-22 19:31

    See the problem is that it’s made in England. Completely different wiring system from what I understand.

  19. #19Shimmy12024-12-22 19:48

    Maybe Nicky will set us straight lol.

  20. #20reganj2024-12-22 20:18

    SNAFU Situation Normal All Forked Up Zulu Foxtrot Golf Zero Fuccks Given

  21. #21Truck Shop2024-12-22 20:26

    Mine--Saltwater Chevy, Minnesota Mag Wheels, Ford Tree House. All three put together in one unit makes a GMC--Got More Crap.

  22. #22westerner2024-12-22 20:50

    As to a dead engine- "roached" As to Lucas, he will always be 'the prince of darkness' around here

  23. #23Tyler d4c2024-12-22 21:22

    I once said a guy who farms and works in a coal mine is the worst for this

  24. #2492U 34062024-12-22 21:23

    If I see lots of sparkles in oil I'm draining I say its full of stripper dust.

  25. #2592U 34062024-12-22 21:26

    They do get creative with repairs. Barbed wire holding a muffler or supporting a rear fender on a tractor. Seen a nail used as a cotter pin on a tierod nut once too.

  26. #26funwithfuel2024-12-22 21:49

    Ww call it stripper glitter around here. Differentials that crap the bed and shed "chunks" we say it had babies or spawned little ones.

  27. #27Truck Shop2024-12-22 22:04

    If you saw some of the Wheat farmer shops around here-----well there better equipped and maned than most dealer or independent shops. Heated floors, all the jacks/lifting equipment all the necessary scan tools, welding/fab tools and some are equipped with a lathe and bridgeport mill. Most of the younger ones went through at least a two year minimum Vocational school.

  28. #28funwithfuel2024-12-22 22:16

    That's easy, just pull a 24" vacuum on the other end, open the bottle and let atmospheric pressure do the rest. All the smoke goes in and yer good to go. Easy peasy

  29. #29bccat2024-12-22 23:51

    Gunny Sacked

  30. #30Truck Shop2024-12-23 08:41

    {One Cheek Sneak}-sliding a cylinder head out of a V-8 without pulling intake.

  31. #31Truck Shop2024-12-23 08:43

    One Arm Bandit---slang for inframe/in block Winona crank grinder.

  32. #32terex herder2024-12-23 23:05

    Ragged out and trashy, but still mostly functional: "Cowboy Rough"

  33. #33pushbroom2024-12-24 00:47

    "Good enough for the girls I go out with". Depending who you are this has different meanings

  34. #34Bumpsteer2024-12-24 02:20

    "Done got went" Ed

  35. #35Acoals2024-12-24 10:52

    You know a transmission or gearbox is not long for the world when you see a mouse on the magnet . .

  36. #36Tyler d4c2024-12-24 11:37

    You look like a monkey f@#$en a football

  37. #37Birken Vogt2024-12-24 22:46

    Shelled has a specific meaning to me. I don't know if it is correct or not but this is what it means to me

  38. #38terex herder2024-12-25 10:21

    Technically, that is spalled. The material underlying the case hardening has failed, causing the hardened surface to flake off.

  39. #39Truck Shop2024-12-25 10:43

    Remember every 1/2 hour job can be determined by a single broken bolt, which turns it into a possible two day job.

  40. #40Bootheal2024-12-25 11:08

    High speed come-a-part

  41. #41funwithfuel2024-12-25 11:10

    Unscheduled disassembly= catastrophic failure Cumaparts= Cummins Scatterpillar= Cat Driptroit= DD

  42. #42Truck Shop2024-12-25 11:16

    Oh No---DD= Dysfunctional Derelict

  43. #43funwithfuel2024-12-25 11:17

    Well, i remember why they painted them green, cuz they cost money. Lol

  44. #44Truck Shop2024-12-25 11:29

    Frequently Overhauled Rarely Driven. * F@cker Only Runs Downhill. * Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything.

  45. #45reganj2024-12-25 20:59

    Found On Roadside Dead The ever popular === Soup Sandwich, this one applies to machines as well as people.

  46. #46Shimmy12024-12-25 23:09

    Fcked Over Rebuilt Dodge Poor Old N***** Thinks It's A Cadillac

  47. #47terex herder2024-12-26 18:14

    Bring my wallet Bring much wampum Giant mess garbage Great mountain climber Dam old dirty garbage eater

  48. #4892U 34062024-12-26 18:19

    Garage Man's Companion Moments Of Power Are Rare Too Often Yanks Overpraise This Auto Flipped Over Reservation Decoration Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

  49. #49Coaldust2024-12-26 18:45

    Used too much, when it was new.

  50. #50petepilot2024-12-26 22:34

    grubshucked

  51. #51Truck Shop2024-12-30 09:09

    Battery terminal cleaner---mini pocket lathe.

  52. #52OMF2024-12-30 16:22

    Oil pan Failure... Failure to contain the shrapnel....

  53. #53Welder Dave2024-12-31 04:16

    Always mark and never use anything with NFG on it.

  54. #54funwithfuel2024-12-31 06:00

    NFG, yes, universal code across the industry (English speaking) for not to be considered as repairable, rebuildable or reusable. I've seen this designation in auto, highway, dirt and marine. Oddly, I've never seen it used in the scrap environment.

  55. #55DMiller2025-01-05 17:14

    Not laughed this hard in weeks!! Used most every one of those commentaries.

  56. #56Jimbo2025-01-05 19:43

    "Got a Mechanic Coming" "Gay Man's Car"

  57. #57uptight excavating2025-01-06 21:03

    Actually it is 'Grown Man's Car'.

  58. #58Welder Dave2025-01-06 21:24

    Read this today skimming through a Mad magazine special edition. Judges are just lawyers who have been benched.

  59. #59reganj2025-01-10 20:37

    If these have already been said, my bad. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. SOP Standard Operating Procedure. SSOP Stoopid Standard Operating Procedure. ETS Embrace The Suck.

  60. #60Mike-G2025-01-26 09:21

    Frankensteined

  61. #61Birken Vogt2025-01-26 09:44

    To describe an ugly cut : gnawed by a rabid beaver

  62. #62funwithfuel2025-01-26 09:50

    Machined with a dull hatchet.

  63. #63funwithfuel2025-01-26 09:52

    Back when I worked a Mack fleet, there were pedigreed, meaning all Mack driveline, which had a gold bulldog hood pull, then, there were the mutts. Someone else's trans, axles or even engine. They had silver hood pulls

  64. #64Truck Shop2025-01-26 10:02

    Dabbler---small time dabbler, mid range dabbler, and full scale dabbler----in any case they create work for professionals.

  65. #65stinky642025-01-26 10:59

    I've been chewed out by an angry beaver.

  66. #66DMiller2025-01-26 12:14

    Gave Blood for the Cause, cause I cut myself.

  67. #67Birken Vogt2025-01-26 14:12

    When pulling real hard on a breaker bar or similar in the presence of sharp and jagged parts: come, bust, or bleed Seems to usually turn out bleed

  68. #68DMiller2025-01-26 14:26

    Most generally

  69. #69DMiller2025-01-26 15:12

    Also need add, Done spit on you for the last time!!

  70. #7092U 34062025-01-26 15:34

    Worst part is you can almost always predict the location of the wound and level of pain about a second or 2 before it actually happens.

  71. #71DMiller2025-01-26 15:49

    Noted, See It Coming, "this IS going to hurt".

  72. #72DMiller2025-01-26 16:53

    Fabricobbled, fabricobbler Can destroy a anvil with a powder puff

  73. #73stinky642025-01-26 18:00

    That powder puff chick is one bad ass beaver.

  74. #74stinky642025-01-26 18:04

    When that little voice in my head says "don't do that it's gonna hurt. Usually pay attention these days.

  75. #75DMiller2025-01-26 19:21

    U have learned well apprentice!!

  76. #76Birken Vogt2025-01-26 19:33

    Yes, the setup time is getting longer and the cheater pipe also getting longer these days. Muscles getting weaker and brain finally starting to remember.

  77. #77_Weldman_2025-01-26 21:15

    Dumpster Fire Looks good from my house

  78. #78Birken Vogt2025-01-26 21:16

    I don't remember hearing dumpster fire until a few years ago, but it is a pretty good description sometimes. It has not made it to my vocabulary yet

  79. #79westerner2025-01-26 21:34

    "Boy, you could wreck an anvil in a sand pile..." My Son in Law is the poster child...

  80. #80Acoals2025-01-26 21:56

    He has the IQ of a houseplant . . .

  81. #81thepumpguysc2025-01-26 22:24

    “I wouldn’t let him change the oil in my lawnmower..”

  82. #82Shimmy12025-01-26 23:30

    You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can't polish a turd.

  83. #83thepumpguysc2025-01-27 00:00

    When one of the mechanics comes into the shop dressed REAL NICE.. “COURT TODAY.??”

  84. #84stinky642025-01-27 11:07

    Prefer- Grasshopper.

  85. #85reganj2025-01-27 20:41

    And I dont own a lawnmower!! or other suitable piece of equipment. heh heh heh

  86. #86_Weldman_2025-01-28 21:46

    I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain this to you.