Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The 580C won’t start, help!

jackleg ยท 2018-01-06 13:56

The Case has sat for a while and now won't start. Cranks over good. No smoke or indication of even trying to fire. Sounds "normal" when cranking. I've had a heater on it for a day now. Checked the inlet screen to the pump and it's clean with good fuel flowing from the filters to the pump. I loosened one of the lines to an injector and no fuel when cranking. Took the little cover off the side of the pump and fuel flows out with no pieces/parts. Are the internals of the pump supposed to rotate with the engine? They don't appear to be. I'm thinking the pump is bad, anything else I should check? Thanks.

Replies14
  1. #1xgiovannix122018-01-06 14:23

    correct the pump is suppose to rotate with the motor. if it dont somethings wrong.

  2. #2jackleg2018-01-06 14:47

    Update- I wasn't looking at the right part. The disc visible under the cover that is to the front does rotate, just not the rear disc with the mark. So to eleminate other possibilities of operator error.. (it's been a while since I've ran this) The key is on, trans and shuttle in nuetral, fuel rod pushed in, fuel valve on the tank is open, press start button. Cranks but won't start.

  3. #3xgiovannix122018-01-06 14:51

    in that little cover should be timing marks... but i ran when you parked it so I think it picked up a bunch of air. Keep trying to bleed it put a battery charger on the battery to get extra push to spin the cold motor. a tiny shot of either might help as well

  4. #4Delmer2018-01-06 15:23

    I'm not sure on that pump, but on some pumps the fuel shut off can stick from sitting for a while with gummy fuel. The shut off is positive, but it's a spring that opens it back up, or something like that. You should see some fuel out of the injection line that's loosened, leave that loosened until you get fuel spurting out of there. If you put that cover back on and crank it till fuel comes out the return fitting on top, then I'd try rapping the injection pump with a screwdriver, slamming the shut off open and closed repeatedly, if that still doesn't get any fuel/bubbles out of the injection line, add some seafoam, MMM, flammable brake cleaner, etc. to a can of fuel and pump it through to try to loosen it up.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2018-01-06 17:19

    As long as you have a screwdriver in your hand, take the top cover off & SEE if the metering valve/fuel shut off is working.. Like Delmer said, they get stuck from sitting.. you can free it up w/ your finger if its stuck.. but ya gotta take the cover off first. DONT break the screws!!! Are you trying to start it in the low idle position?? Pull it wide open.. just be ready to drop it back down if it starts..

  6. #6jackleg2018-01-07 12:11

    Thank for all the advice. I got the top cover off. Its clean inside and the levers seem to be operating with the shut off knob. Ive had one of the battery chargers with "engine start" on it so it's cranking over good. I'm not getting any fuel from the return line or injector line (both disconnected. I'm out of time for a few days so it's going to have to sit. The temp is supposed to get up to 35F this week..

  7. #7xgiovannix122018-01-07 13:04

    . Hopefully you get it running soon. Had to fight with mine this morning 2 fresh filters and 10 mins of salamander and shes going . We hit - 40 wind chills last night

  8. #8stinky642018-01-08 11:39
  9. #9stinky642018-01-08 11:51

    Hey bub, maybe a stretch but the rump chappin' cold is probably responsible...You say everything that's supposed to be rotating is rotating and good fuel to pump...... probably condensation in tank or some water in fuel even minute quantities can jam you up when it's this cold..... bought my 76 580c two years ago on January 31st and just couldn't wait to get it off the cornpiece where it sat for many moons .... what an ordeal torpedo heater pointed at the pump for several hours and some ether got that low mileage creampuff home....good luck....

  10. #10Grady2018-01-11 00:33

    So friggin cold here my C wouldn't start even with the block heater because the oil was so thick. I got one of those magnetic heaters that sticks to the oil pan and plug it in with the block heater and that did the trick. It probably won't help move fuel through your pump though. You could try a heat gun. I did - even though half the time I had it pointed at my gloves.

  11. #11jackleg2018-01-11 18:21

    Good news.. Cindy Lou is back in action!! We had warm weather the past 2 days. Yesterday I cranked and cranked- nothing. Today she started up with the first 3 'chugs' of the starter just like normal. Let her run an hour or so while I cleaned out a spot in the barn for indoor parking. I think she was just upset because she had not had much attention this past year..

  12. #12xgiovannix122018-01-11 18:40

    glad you got it going

  13. #13Bls repair2018-01-15 16:17

    Could have had summer fuel in it?

  14. #14jackleg2018-01-15 21:50

    I'm ashamed to admit, she has sat all summer. Still has last winters fuel in. I'm going to run that out and fill w/fresh fuel and hopefully be good to go. Thanks for all the guidance on this. I think it comes down to mechanical things are ment to be run, not left sit.