Been noticing a vibration it only did it when in motion forward or reverse most noticeable at about 3 to 6 mph. Finally traced it down to the right side tandem. First raised left side put in gear run through 4th gear very very slight vibration. Raised right side put in gear 1st gear noticed some 2nd gear noticed a little more 3rd gear really noticed 4th gear same thing 5th gear started to smooth out 6th seemed pretty good so stopped there. Oil is full to check plug. Is this a bearing problem? If so how do you check which one it is? Thank You.
uh oh....Youre going to want to have a look at your diff oil and filter instead.
I was thinking, I don't remember commenting on this....
Drained oil in diff. and it was so clean I put it back in. I mean it was really clean. There was only about 475hrs on it since it was last changed. The oil drained at that time wasn't anything out of the ordinary as far as diff oil that had a couple thousand hrs. on it.
That's pretty funny You have a twin!
Prop her up and check for slack in the wheels. May pop covers and inspects chains and sprockets. Not applicable here but the Volvos have a bearing midshaft between the trans and diff that can cause vibrations on their way out.
Replaced bearings on both tandem axles no change. Took driveshaft off to isolate problem between diff and transmission. Ta Da. Driveshaft froze up tight. Two of the bearing cups had to hammer them to get them off. Completely dried up. The needle bearings all rusted and stuck together. It would be nice to be able to grease shaft but its greaseless. So I guess when checking the driveshaft for free play and what not really need to check and make sure it's not too tight.