Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The new job

Dozerboy · 2007-08-09 16:50

Well here is what I do now its simple work it all the overtime I can want. But it sure ain't like moving dirt..... tell ya more about later I'm off for the night shift.

Replies23
  1. #1Dusty2007-08-09 16:54

    so r we all gettin a lump of coal for x-mass

  2. #2digger242j2007-08-09 19:52

    Don't let Coalburner see that somebody out there on a pile of coal actually has machines that run...

  3. #3Wolf2007-08-09 20:17

    Looks pretty awesome. Tell us about the new job, Dozerboy, and what kind of equipment do you get to play with?

  4. #4MRM992007-08-09 21:39

    my guess would be that the black stuff is coke (a product of refining oil) and congratulations on the job!!:drinkup :notworthy :scool

  5. #5Dozerboy2007-08-10 17:54

    MRM is right its Coke its mixed with coal to get the BTUs up in Coal fire plants its not used in the US since the leaf licker say it pollutes to much. It’s also used in asphalt and concrete here is the states and was used to make Eye Liner. We run 3 9Ns and a 9R with coal blades to stock pile ~7,000 tons of coke every day and load ships a few times a month sometimes up to 9 ships. The first pic is the stock pile while we are loading a ship. You can see the "stacker" in the top left of the pic thats conveyer that piles the coke that is coming from the refinery that we push into a pile. On a normal day we run 2 dozers to stock pile when we have a ship we run 3. The next 2 are of the refinery, conveyer, and our 2 over head cranes. The coke dumps out of the 6 silos called "drums" and into the pits. There is 1500 tons of coke in each drum that is loaded by the cranes into the crusher. That dumps onto the conveyer for the 5min ride to the stacker. Here we are taking a break while ship loader is switching to a different hold in the ship. With a ship it’s just about nonstop pushing each dozer has an area he works. We all push to the "dozer trap" yes it has that name for a reason it’s where the pile is in front of that dozer. From there it’s a conveyer ride to the ship loader then dumped into the ships holds. Last is another of the ship loader.

  6. #6Wolf2007-08-10 17:56

    New Job looks pretty cool New job looks pretty cool. Just wondering how you like working that kind of job, as compared to construction and demolition with a big hoe? Good luck out there.

  7. #7Dozerboy2007-08-10 18:18

    I don't know for sure yet it’s very repetitive something I don't much care for. I also don't like that it doesn't really refine your operating skills it may even hinder them if you ever what to back to moving dirt. My truck is very filthy after only 2 weeks. But it rains a lot here I and don't have to worry about rain days working here. I know where I'm going every day. I have a lot of opportunities if I stick with it. Short and sweet it pays well if you are willing to work the over time, but I would much rather be playing in the dirt or doing demo.

  8. #8Countryboy2007-08-10 18:57

    I see a stretch of rail beside the stockpile. Do yall ship by rail too?

  9. #9equipment fan2007-08-10 20:37

    what`s other machines the company have?just curious.

  10. #10Mkdozerman2007-08-10 21:12

    Hey Dozerboy Just wanted to say I know where your coming from I worked at AMERAN UE in St. Louis Merrimac plant for about a year and a half. We worked swing shifts 12/h days not much of a social life but really good paychecks I ran a Komat'su D375A With a 60 yard coal blade but Had to move back south. If I can figure out how to post a pic ill get some up of it.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-08-10 21:13

    See if this thread helps..... Posting Pictures

  12. #12Mkdozerman2007-08-10 21:22

    The resizing is the problem i can make the pic smaller to fit the 100k upload max but the image is way to small to see any help

  13. #13Countryboy2007-08-10 21:27

    What format are the images in?

  14. #14Mkdozerman2007-08-10 21:29

    the size is 1.4meg bpm and im gonna get some dinner ill be back in a few mins

  15. #15Dozerboy2007-08-11 02:54

    No that is for the fuel from the refinery, but we are building a rail yard next door. Everything and anything just not at this location or division. Ya got that right only been 3 weeks and the wife isn't happy, but she is a trooper. She has been looking for a second job with very flexible hrs. to keep her busy.

  16. #16capt_met2007-08-11 03:10

    is that the sabine river?

  17. #17Countryboy2007-08-12 18:46

    Here ya go Mike. These are the pictures that Mkdozerman was trying to post. :drinkup

  18. #18Lashlander2007-08-12 20:26

    Good pics! Thats definetly a large blade.

  19. #19Dozerboy2007-08-12 20:36

    Capt No this is the ship channel in Houston/Pasadena.

  20. #20Wolf2007-08-14 19:53

    Dozerboy: Sounds like the work is repetitive, but the $$$ are great. How long do you think you will hang there?

  21. #21Dozerboy2007-08-16 21:44

    A year or so I'll top out on this departments pay scale by then I think. Around then it things go as planed it will be time to move on. I may come back if I'm able to keep busy moving dirt with all the rain here, but I can't see me doing this very long. These "operators" are a joke they just push a lot of coke around, but this isn't even close to an efficient operation. They think the reason I caught on so fast is because I've ran D9s and D10s before. All the dozer hands around here run D6s or some D8s and it take them weeks to catch on. I can't believe they haven't realized there is an art to stock piling.

  22. #22dozerdave2009-07-26 01:57

    Dozerboy, you need a big dozer just to carry your lunch bucket.

  23. #23Dozerboy2009-07-31 18:28

    The pics with the guy next the D375 ain't mine, but I do have almost the same one just darker blue. Guys make fun of me because every time they look at me I'm eating and it is hard to find a spot for it some times and the is a big problem for me. No room for the luchbox no work until you get me something else to run.....ya right. :drinkup