Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Ultimate Loader??

Steve Frazier · 2013-06-17 23:52

Similar to the other Ultimate machine threads, what features or improvements would you like to see on a wheel loader if you were to design it no holds barred?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies61
  1. #1Hjolli2013-07-03 18:32

    Without having any particular suggestions myself I've just read a very interesting article about the latest Cat 966k XE. http://www.uk.cat.com/cda/files/3467460/7/AEXQ0696-00.pdf . What I think is particularly interesting is the transmission which is continuously variable and energy saving by regenerating power when braking acc. To Caterpillar. Could be interesting to know if anybody out there has any experience with these machines. I operated a lot of loaders in the past and sometimes I could wish for a step less trans when driving into the pile, spinning the wheels in 1. Gear and having too little force in 2.

  2. #2briscoetab2013-07-03 19:43

    We just got a 950K and I love it, comfortable, powerful and easy to operate. The only gripe that I have so far is we have had to call CAT twice because of electronics. First time it was a sensor on the axel I think, nothing wrong just the sensor went out and had to be replaced. Second time the joystick went out and could move the front attachment and we only had 250 hours on it. Other than those couple of hiccups it is an awesome piece of equipment.

  3. #3briscoetab2013-07-05 02:37

    I was thinking about this some more today and one thing I would like to see in most equipment including our new 950K is more storage area inside and outside the cab. There is nowhere to store a grease gun or rags or anything on the outside of the cab, we use our wheel loader to drag pipe on pipelines so it would be nice to have a place for chains. Inside is a little better, there is a medium size bin on the door and decent sized cup holders on the right side by the windows, but that is it. Everything else has to go in the floor on the left side of the seat and when you operate a wheel loader where we work stuff get thrown all around the cab, which can be a safety isssue as well. One other thing that drives me nuts are the rear tie down spots, they put the engine access ladders/steps right under them. We had to undo the bolts on the rubber part of the ladder so it would swing inward to give clearance for the chain. Why did they do this, now those steps are useless and might as well just be taken off. The front tiedowms are great, big holes to allow for large chains and hooks and in the right spot to miss the tires and lifting arms. I also like the engine access, its pretty good and can easily get to and see the whole engine. The fuel filling port should have been moved somewhere that doesn't require lifting the entire hood to get to, or put a small access panel in the hood to allow you to get to it. Other than those couple of small things I think the loader is close to the ultimate loader.

  4. #4SeaMac2013-09-02 01:23

    Hmm, How 'bout a Loader that allows an Operator to sit on a comfortable chair in a comfortable setting where he or she watches via monitors the function and application of the machine? Believe it or not, it won't be too many more years before that is exactly what an Operator will be tasked to do, we might as well embrace the idea now.

  5. #5kshansen2013-09-13 11:09

    An they will still complain about something! I often think we should have saved a couple of the old Hough 120 loaders to give to the operators when they complain about something on the 980G's and other machines.

  6. #6WhyWhyZed2013-10-07 13:14

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7k-I-0pBw

  7. #7qball2013-10-28 19:06

    Give me a certified rebuilt 980 f and I would be pretty damn happy. For a larger loader they are darn fast and nimble.

  8. #8HATCHEQUIP2013-10-28 21:21

    How about a flip cab

  9. #9kshansen2013-10-29 19:28

    This is far from what a normal person would call "The Ultimate Loader" but after 40+ years working on this stuff I'm far from normal! If I had use for one around the yard I'd take a 966C 76J series and a blank check to the parts department at the local Cat dealer.I'd have fun taking it down to the bare frame and rebuilding each component one at a time. When done with that job find me a 980 42H series. Something about that 4 over head cam V-8 with all those rattling timing gears at idle just hit me right along with the four maxi-brake cans on the front axle.

  10. #10JGS Parts2013-11-09 12:45

    mate what do you mean by a flip cab? you mean one that will flip on its side so you can get into the transmission and things?

  11. #11kshansen2013-11-09 19:33

    I believe that is what he was meaning, or flip forward for access. We have a 980G II that has an oil leak under the cab on a pump. When I look in the manual on removing this pump first step is "Remove Cab". Probably not as bad a job as it seems at first but if the cab would tilt forward say at 45º on a couple hyd. cylinders like the hood on our 980K would be nice. At our main shop we are lucky to have a 40 ton overhead crane so lifting it will not be a problem. If we had to do this out in the back woods it would be a different story!

  12. #12HATCHEQUIP2013-11-10 01:07

    Forward, sideways, just flip for trans, pumps or leaks

  13. #13johnfu19852013-11-15 02:15

    Forway skid steer loader, wheel loader & mini skid steer loader, mini-dumper trailer I am John, from Forway Heavy Industry, making skid steer loaders, wheel loaders & Mini loaders, trailers. We are seek for local distributor in America. Please contact us for more information about it. www.forway.com [email protected] Thanks.

  14. #14Josh22014-07-04 15:29

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBnC303K0TY New Volvo L110H-L120H Wheel loaders

  15. #15cuttin edge2015-01-05 12:21

    The thing I like about Volvo loaders, is how they all handle the same. If you are on an L70, or an L150, they have the same feel.

  16. #16Paul Six2015-01-05 14:01

    I think the best loaders i ever had is CAT 950H

  17. #17sewerrattkc19972015-03-08 00:30

    Independent suspension.

  18. #18Desertwheeler2015-03-08 13:35

    966k is the best loader I have ever ran fast smooth and powerful.

  19. #19Ryan1512015-04-17 21:07

    yeah all jerky and craptastic Ive ran some l220e's and they all suck. compared to a cat 980g or any cat machine those volvo's are gutless pigs

  20. #20cuttin edge2015-04-18 08:22

    Aw Ryan...do you need a diaper change and a bubbie...sometimes it's more about knowing how to run a machine to get the most out of it. But I suppose the G probably has a nicer radio, or maybe you enjoy the sleep time you get when it breaks down. Craptastic...what are you 10

  21. #21JGibson2015-04-18 16:33

    If a Z7 Kawasaki and a K series deere had a baby that met in the middle with a tier 3 engine would be perfect lol. In all seriousness, they are both fantastic loaders and If I ever were too buy one, those would be the first on my list. Doosan isn't bad, and Gasp!, Jcb's new loaders are nice

  22. #22Ryan1512015-04-18 19:48

    You honestly think a Volvo is better than a cat you obviously haven't ran many loaders. Secondly you haven't worked on many either.

  23. #23cuttin edge2015-04-18 21:08

    We have 4 Cat loaders. A 950G, a 950H, a 972H, and a 980H. We have nothing to compare to the 980. The first year it was here, it was constantly down. They seemed to get a handle on it, and it does it's job well. Since the warranty ended on the 972, they have spent about 40 grand in repairs. The Cat guy calls it satans choice. The L150E can run circles around it, and uses a lot less fuel. The 950H blew a PLASTIC test line when they loaded it on the float the day they bought it....who uses hard plastic hoses. It is constantly bothered by electrical problems. The 950G has had a transmission replaced under warranty, but is not a bad machine. Both 950s were on water and sewer crews, but were replaced by L90Fs because they were faster, and the operators found them to be way smoother. The bucket tips back farther so you can carry more stone, and bedding for pipe. The 2 950s and the 972 burned more fuel this winter plowing than 3 L90Fs, and 2 L70Gs, and they all averaged the same amount of hours. And yes you are right, I don't work on the loaders, cause I run a Volvo, and they don't break down.

  24. #24Ryan1512015-04-18 22:27

    Seems like you've had a good experience however our volvos break constantly we too had transmission issues with our cat but it was due to a bad operator digging in second gear burned up the torque converter. Every volvo I have ran sucks compared to cats. That's me plus it's all foreign the air lines for the seats hoses everything is pretty much dealer only. I didn't hear too many good things about the H series cats. The gs are good though.

  25. #25ThaddeusSonnenb2015-09-01 01:55

    I am an up coming building contractor and want to buy heavy loaders which I will need in my new business but not getting an idea about which one would be the best loader. I have searched here and got some options. But I am searching for some other options also, can anyone please suggest me some heavy loader for my start-up business?

  26. #26RonG2015-09-01 04:39

    I posted this before,probably on this site but when you need three different size wrenches to change an air filter element like I did on an L70 or L90 Volvo somebody needs to rethink things in my opinion.I really don't like any swedish equipment,you can't read any of the symbols on the switches in the cab,they are just unfriendly to work with.I have also run a lot of different things in 40+ years,getting tired.LOL.Ron G

  27. #279662015-11-23 02:11

    I havn't run a lot of new Cat loaders because the guy I work for has not bought a new Cat since cat made the 966F because he gets other loaders for cheaper! I can tell you that he has tried John deer Komatsu Volvo and Hyndui and the old 966 F will still work circles around the new loaders from these guys!

  28. #28JD955SC2017-09-18 06:21

    So long as it tilts plenty like a skidder or a early 953/63/73 It's probably be built to tilt like an artic though

  29. #29HATCHEQUIP2017-09-18 16:05

    I really don't give a crap just make it so that it can be serviced, maintained and repaired in a timely AND EFFICIENT MANNER without taking a act of congress. If the ********* engineers had to work on them after they had been out in the blood the mud and the beer. They might just might think a little bit, but no this nation "and some others" has become a throwaway nation. In part "equipment wise" to lobbyists, tree huggers and our fine political leaders and I dont mean just one group I mean ALL OF THEM. So they build something to last X amount of hours and then its to be ""recycled"" or sold to some other part of the world if its early enough like Es, Fs and some Gs as far as loaders, on graders they like Gs and Hs and they throw rocks or shoes at you if you were to mention a M. As far as say cranes the new ones are nice, and I mean nice PERIOD. Alot easier to work on, setups and teardowns are a breeze, nothing at all like the large older machines. But here again is this going to bite us in the *** in a few more years. Part of this is because the newer machines are so much lighter, but at what cost. the older machines could be rebuilt over and over again because the base machine was heavy and sturdy enough to take it, but now we are seeing that after a period of time the machine can not be rebuilt because of metal fatigue. From one of the very things that makes them so nice. But I digress tilt that damn cab where a fat boy can get in there, for that matter just tilt it enough for peewee "every bodies got one on the job somewhere" and well talk him thru it while he stands on his head and talks about that engineers family tree.

  30. #30Peter_H2017-12-31 09:52

    When I was still working, we leased a big Cat loader along with a crusher for a large concrete crushing project. The job took us 3 months and carried over into the winter season We always leased a loader for snow removal off of large shipping piers where car ships would deliver and unload 2000 new cars at a time. That Cat loader was a dream to run. Not sure what model it was, but decent size. I'm guessing maybe a 5 or 6 yard bucket. Joystick steering controls, backup camera, a/c, etc. In the crushing project, it dug well and was quite maneuverable. Snow removal was a breeze. No matter how much snow piled up in front of the bucket, you couldn't stop it. Visibility in blinding snow was fantastic. Of course, we never had to work on it because it was a lease, but I cannot remember a single breakdown or issue in the 6 months we had it. Running that Cat was like night and day compared to the Doosan that we usually leased.

  31. #31Paystar2018-02-01 09:09

    I used to love Cat loaders. I've run everything from a 950 to a 992 right up to the newest series. But then last year I ran a couple brand new Komatsu WA500's. I loved them. Good visibility, lots of power. They are super quiet in the cab. A couple times I had to look at the gauges to see if it was still running. And I love having the steering wheel and joystick steering together. The LED lighting package is awesome. And in all the time I was around them, no regen or emission system problems. Had the K and newer series Cat's shut down once or twice with issues.

  32. #32cuttin edge2018-02-01 09:43

    We have a Volvo L45g and an L70g and the Regen system has been a pain. Got an L110h and they have gone to Def. So far so good. They got a new 980 M around the middle of the month, but it won't be turning a wheel until the snow is gone. I have not been near it, but I am assuming it to be Def as well.

  33. #33pedrocar2018-03-10 04:12

    Didnt think i would ever say it but Volvo are the loader to have. Cat havent built a decent loader since the F SERIES

  34. #34RjMaan2018-03-24 10:15

    Well i think the loader should be powerful, capable to do work for the longer period of time plus it should also be economical with almost no impact on environment.

  35. #35cuttin edge2018-03-24 20:57

    I remember our 966F, it was an awesome loader. I hate the 972 they bought to take it's place

  36. #36drag1line2018-04-17 16:04

    OK.......you said ULTIMATE??? Been around a while. Go back a few years. It was before it's time and too advanced for rope and shovel era. That time is gone. Do a search for Bucyrus Erie, Model 60S. 5 yard loader that could out load 10 yard machines at 1/3 the fuel.

  37. #37John C.2018-04-20 12:44

    Koehring made something similar called the Scooper. It was fast but also heavy and needed all those joints to be greased all the time. They didn't catch on past a couple of specific uses.

  38. #38koona2018-06-27 22:58
  39. #39YouBrokeWhat?2018-07-08 11:50

    I'd say the ultimate loader would be brand new and have these features ; An electric starter Headlights Mechanical stop lever A mechanical joystick A basic gauge package Zero other electronic crap. The day you can buy a loader that will run with just fuel and air will be a good day.

  40. #40HardRockNM2020-01-14 20:21

    I'll have to put in a vote for a low-hour CAT 980G with a tilting cab and LED headlights with good throw for night and underground work. They're awful fast for their size and have way more power than the Hs. I will never buy a loader without mechanical gauges; the side displays that CAT and Deere both love now are totally illogical from a workflow perspective.

  41. #41HATCHEQUIP2020-01-15 15:28

    Welcome to the forum H.R

  42. #42HardRockNM2020-01-15 20:17

    Thanks!

  43. #43skyking12020-12-06 01:00

    I have fond memories of a 966C that I ran for a while at the damn job. It was tight, had great tires and a full compliment of buckets and forks and crane boom. It even had instructions and controls for a snow blower that was no longer with it. I often thought, like you, that it would have been the ultimate yard machine.

  44. #44HATCHEQUIP2020-12-07 12:25

    Yep good simple machine just didnt like the air over hyd. brakes.

  45. #45Truck Shop2021-01-02 20:26
  46. #46Tugger22021-01-02 21:32

    I know i could park my 910 Cat in the bucket of that 994 ,but its my ultimate loader.

  47. #47petepilot2021-01-02 23:46

    who`s gonna be first with a 40 foot bucket?

  48. #48skyking12021-01-02 23:54

    The Dart 600's at the coal mine were 16 yard machines. I found one for sale, just what a homeowner needs for those little proyects.

  49. #49John C.2021-01-03 01:07

    The Wagner chip dozers were bigger than that.

  50. #50HardRockNM2021-01-03 14:29

    I've actually taken a 242D skid-steer into the bucket of a 990G to clean it out when shifting from muddy waste material to production rock!

  51. #51Sberry2021-01-25 17:07

    If I had a blank check why spend it on parts?

  52. #52Thomas C Loiselle2021-05-19 09:25

    While my overall preference is the G or H model Cats. Something like a 980 thru 988 depending on what work load you need it for. We have a 980K here which isn't too bad. Has finger controls for implement and joystick for drive. Really liking it. Definitely has more electronics to deal with, but nice to run.

  53. #53Jimothy2022-04-08 18:58

    Saw one online, brand new at .8 tons no ROPS, fully electric no name and lime green for under 10k that’s my ride yo… that’s my ride

  54. #54orangeman2023-03-25 12:09

    Drag1Line: Thanks for posting the video on the Old Bucyrus - Erie 60-S shovel. Some real nice engineering went into that. If memory serves Bucyrus used a Caterpillar undercarriage on those. ~ Orangeman

  55. #55Revicm2024-08-18 08:07

    Best one I have operated is a rebuilt 980H. Joysticks would be the only thing I would like as my tendinitis in my left arm acts up if just moving a pile all day. I have ran a couple newer Deeres and a Komatsu of similar size and there is no comparison.

  56. #56chorty552025-03-22 12:54

    Anything that doesn't have an ECU, TCM, stroke limit switches, pressure switches, return pressure switches, micro switches, safety switches, door switches, or door for that matter? Rockin a 1960 Hough 50 series with the 3rd spool. Ill never sell it. I don't care how much oil it leaks. It'll pump oil as long as its in the reservoir, it no matter if I use a screw driver or a block of wood or a rope holding the 3rd spool open and jump out to run the log splitter. I like real metal mechanical connected iron. None of that stupid electric and hydraulic over electric or electric over hydraulic, or whatever headache they think they need to complicate to make a valve open, then if the software says it can or cannot. Nope Use them biceps and pull that spool!!

  57. #57oldslowbinder19942025-06-12 01:48

    Imo i quite like the IH/hough and to some extent dresser loaders of all sizes i have worked on and ran many over the years and just good all around machines although parts are a real pain to source but then again thats all of them after about 10 years no bs proven Ih diesel powerplants And good designed cab and control layouts simple hydraulic systems Make them very pleasant machines to run and repair i can't say the same for anything newer maybe the older komatsu modles that still incorporated alot of hough design are ok also

  58. #58GOOG2025-07-13 10:17

    I had two of them. Sold them both about ten years ago. Good solid machine! NO comfort for operator. Plowed snow great. We had a 30" snow once. I had a new 320 Komatsu and my 966's working. The 66's could push an 18" box the 320 could not push with just it's bucket because of all the torque. It was hydrostatic and would just spin. Very frustrating!

  59. #59Legdoc2025-07-13 23:31

    Old post but here I go. Back at the Cat dealer in the late 70's a 910 was the "shop" loader used for general duties. It was a fun, nimble little little machine. I believe it was actually made by Mitsubishi in Japan. It had a joy stick as opposed to the 920's, 930's... two stick design.

  60. #60roflcopterkklol2026-05-20 09:39

    Controversial opinion, the ultimate loader doesnt exist. The right loader for the task exists.

  61. #61roflcopterkklol2026-05-20 09:52

    This is only true for sales loaders.