Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Wrong Way to Tower up a Mobile Yarder

GunnieSacked · 2025-05-27 14:09

This is Not the correct way to tower up!

Replies9
  1. #1JaredV2025-05-27 23:51

    Or did they tower down without taking down the rigging?

  2. #2highwayghost2025-05-28 00:16

    But I’m impressed…. Even when they screw up they do it right! Can’t get that thing standing any straighter!! A good time to do any of the needed repairs on the underside.

  3. #3Cliffy2025-05-28 06:42

    When your a couple of metres short, Improvise, adapt and overcome.

  4. #4Jumbo2025-05-29 06:22

    I'm impressed. They must not have read the owners manuals, There is an easier way to raise the tower...

  5. #5camptramp2025-05-30 01:07

    The Guylines are all out , so I would think it was rigged up and operating . For the machine to end up in that position something has gone badly wrong with the pad or support arms that support the tower base when rigged up and yarding . There are small jacks on each side of the back of yarder frame to raise or lower back of machine to put the "Base" in place . The Base is directly under the structure that supports the bottom of tower where it hinges to raise or lower tower . The base is mounted to the frame by a giant hinge . When traveling from setting to setting , the base is lifted up and out of the way with the "Strawline" a pin is put in place to secure it in place . When raising the tower , the base is lowered and two "I Beam" support arms are put in place to hold the base in place . Those two arms are under a lot of strain when tower is rigged up and pulling hard . If for some reason that those two support arms failed or the pins holding them in place were not done properly and the support arms failed . The whole machine would be pushed forward the base would "kick" out the back resulting in the tower mounted on a pedestal pushing the back of machine down and lifting the front of the machine in the air . I would think a "Cat " with its winch line attached to the front bumper of the machine and a line attached to each side to steady the machine might get it back on the ground without to much more damage . Another possible reason for that to happen is if the ground under the "Base Pad" collapsed .

  6. #6Alusium2025-05-30 23:25

    Neat explanation. I saw that pic the other day and sent it to my number one truck. Said our processor operator started cable logging.

  7. #7dirty4fun2025-06-01 06:50

    That would make your cheeks put the squeeze on the seat cushion.

  8. #8camptramp2025-06-01 23:27

    That would have been quite a ride , I hope the operator is okay . I was just looking at the picture again , that would have been a fairly heavy machine . I see a "skidding line fairlead" , so it would have been a "Slackline or Tension Skidder" Yarder . In that position , it would have been an adventure just to get the operator out of the cab and down to the ground .

  9. #9Hallback2025-06-07 00:11

    046 Madill