I looked in my new service manual and learned a lot, and have a lot to learn! Found a few lubrication points that I never new existed. One thing I did not find out is what the heck are these rubber things for? I assume steps of some sort but all they seem to do is attempt to trap my foot as I exit the cab. As usual, just throwing that out there as a noobe question. Hey, CM1995, do you see the brace on the hydraulic cylinder?:wink2 I remembered your past admonishment!
thats to hold the beer cans
Now that you mention it, I never paid much attention to those things to know for sure what their function is. I suspect the strut that joins the loader arms probably bumps against them. Why? :beatsme Good to hear you got your manual, we'll have you crawlin' all through that thing. You've had that thing for a little while now, have you done any fluid service? What's the oil look like in the chain case? Oh yeah, have you got your "Bobcat wrench"? Those two 1/2" nuts that hold the cab down are supposed to be NyLock nuts. A ratchet won't fit in there...a wrench is painfully slow to remove these nuts. The best tool to remove those nuts is a 3/4" Gear Wrench...the "Bobcat wrench".
You know, I don't see anything that could possibly make contact with those things, at least with a standard bucket setup. :beatsme Maybe case310350 is on to something? Even the previous owner was not sure what they were for! They may have to get taken off if one of them grabs my foot one more time! As far as the 863, yes, I am getting used to it by now and we are starting to bond. I think it is a fantastic machine, especially after I added the tracks. I did check the chain case and it was a little low on fluid. Seemed to be pretty fresh though. Started to do an oil change but the previous owner had done it 97 hours ago so I am going to hold off. I was able to get to those cab nuts with no problem. A ratchet with a short extension did the trick. Maybe someone can set us straight on the purpose of those "rubber things":cool2
They are foot rests. for when u step in with your arms down so u down fall between the gap, I think that you will find that you use them with out even thinking about it.
:iagree Makes sense..
I've been told they are there to hold hoses for some attachment (backhoe maybe?) so the hoses don't get pinched. Don't know if true or not.
I been told that they are foot pegs too! On newer models, say s250, there is a step at same point in place of rubber. But hey why not use em to hold the chainsaw(as i do), shovel or dirty laundry as you trundle across the lawn to the next domestic outing??!!
I always used them as boot cleaners so the mud did not build up under the pedals.
That would make a good chain saw holder! Beats bouncing it around in the bucket. I wonder if you could put those boot brushes on them like at a front door, and have it double as a Chain saw/can holder/boot cleaner :tong
:thumbsup
My understanding was also that those were for holding extra hydraulic hose that could hang down and be damaged. Someone at the Bobcat dealer said they were for stepping in the machine if the loader arms are up and with the holding bar down for safety. For me I am 6'7" tall and I don't need them but I have seen the shorter guys use them. You keep the tracks on your machine at all times now? Those things look mean versus my machine with stock tires. Probably work great in mud though.
Well, since I put them on I have been so pleased that I have not taken them off! I use this machine mostly in the woods where it is fairly hilly and almost always a little wet. I would still be stuck in some places right now if it wasn't for the tracks. When I don't really need them, they are not a problem being on. (you know you want a set...Go for it):yup
They are so you dont fall between the boom and the front of the machine.
If I can find a deal on a set within driving distance you know I will get them. Not sure where they can be used around here, as the lot is mostly lawn or pavement and those tracks would make sort work of it. We have no mud, just sand that can be treacherous when dry. The land around here is mostly flat but there is a lower area across the street which is a swamp. I guess your tracks don't slow your 863 down?
Doesn't seem to slow it down much, but with maximum speed of 6 mph who is going to notice? I did notice the extra weight though. I have to give it a little more throttle going up hills that before, but the added weight helps with the stability a little when pulling up stumps and so forth. Keeps the back end on the ground more.
:drinkup