Dozer is puffing steam out the radiator vent and the oil appears milky. Think I need a head gasket - looking for a place online to purchase. Dozer is a D7D engine is a 17A series - it's a four cylinder engine but looks like it has two separate heads...would it be two separate gaskets or one solid gasket that both heads set on? Just wondering so if I find what I need I'll know.
Your best bet would be to aquire a parts book and a maintainance manual before you dig into it. It will be the cheapest parts you ever buy for that dozer if you read it. You can find many of them on E-bay fairly reasonable.
Echo the comment about getting a Service manual and a Parts manual. There doesn't seem to be anything on either eBay or Amazon at the moment. Also on-line sellers have twigged how much they're worth so any bargains unfortunately disappeared long ago. Try contacting these guys. I can't find D7D 17A-prefix but that's not to say they don't do one. https://servicemanualpro.com/
PM'ing you about manuals. Greyson
PM'ing you about manuals. EDIT Scratch that you need more posts to be able to PM. I have the manuals that should cover your machine. Greyson
there are 2 separate head gaskets. I had the same problem and it was a cracked pre combustion chamber. If you do take off the heads save yourself some headache and change them to.
There are actually four gaskets involved, one head gasket and one push rod area gasket for each of the two heads.
Can you explain what that is?
Bramdon , If it is the Pre coms that are leaking caused by rusting through etc, You do not need to take the head off .Pre coms are where the injectors go in the head .If they leak ,Commpression can get into the radiator ,and water into the cylinder ,and down into the sump .They screw out ,There is a washer at the bottom and an o ring at the top of them .
Before you tear into it do a leak down test. You may be able to pinpoint where the problem is and save some hassle. Pressurize each cylinder with air at TDC, see if you loose pressure and where it goes, pull injection valves, use rubber tip off auto compression gauge on 1/4" pipe on air hose.