Hello friends,,it's my first post so here goes ? I have a friend who just gave me his Mitsubishi bd2g dozer that has been sitting for the last 3or4years And I couldn't be more stoked about the project,I got the parts,and operation books so I think I'm off to a good start. I'm going to need batteries for it and the guy at Rhine equipment said at least 600 cca ( cold crankin amps ) each does that sound weak or just right,thanks for your help,,foozzer OW almost forgot,whoever came up with this web site, thank you very much I have a great time just reading and " learning " from all the others who respond to threads thanks again
Yes Foozzer, this is indeed a "cool" forum. There are several very knowledgeable heavy equipment people on here. They are willing to help those of us who use equipment but do not have the knowledge and experience needed for a lot of the repairs. Hopefully in time those of us who benefit from their knowledge will also be able to pass that information along to others. I occasionally have a problem with my dozer that I cannot fix. I have found outstanding help. I am not familiar with your Mitsubishi but 600 cca each should crank a small dozer, even in your fairly cold climate. I have 1- 700cca battery on my Case dozer with a 6 cylinder engine.
It looks like that's a 3 liter engine with a 24 volt system, so just about any decent pair of batteries should start it. I assume you have a mild climate temperature wise. The other factor is if you absolutely need it to start on the coldest day of the year. If you can borrow a pair of batteries to test it, that would be my suggestion. No point in buying new batteries to find out that the engine is frozen, or the transmission is shot. If you do buy new, get the biggest ones that will fit, and not the cheapest brand either.
You can just about start those with a pull rope, and unless something is wrong they light easy even down into the teens. I like Delmer's advice though, buy the biggest batteries that will fit and the best you can afford, can't go wrong with too much battery.
Thanks for all the help I'll let you know how it turns out Oh and by the way I may have had too much Morooka last night as well
I wholeheartedly concur with both Delmer and Landtraxco regarding getting the biggest (highest CCA) that will fit. If it is a 24 volt system, and if you are new to working on a 24v system, pay close attention to how the current batteries are connected. There should be 2 twelve volt batteries connected in series rather than parallel, which means that the ground terminal (-) of battery #1 is attached to machine ground; the positive terminal (+) of battery #1 attaches only to the negative (-) terminal of battery #2, and the positive terminal of battery #2 (+) will attach to starter, alternator, accessories, etc., thus producing 24 volts. You may be well aware of this, but I mention it in the event that you are not because of the consequences of hooking up incorrectly. Delmer and Lantraxco, please correct me if any of this is not clear, or if the machine should happen to be positive ground as I am not familiar with it.
Sounds right Oxbow, and you can never say never, but in close to forty years of exposure to Japanese machines I have yet to see a positive ground electrical system.
Thanks again gang,other folks pay big bucks for knowledge and I'm blessed to get it. For free I was right this place ROCKS !!!,,ok to back up if I may,,I thought all 24volt systems were pos. ground and if you had two 12 volt batt.facing one another you would hook up the pos. Clamp to the pos. Of batt. 1. Then the nag. clamp to the neg of batt. 2 then a jumper between the neg. and pos. on the the other side making it a 24 volt system or am I in a case of ( puff, puff, pass ) thanks foozzer
That sounds right, but which cable is the ground determines if it's positive or negative ground. Lantraxco said he's never seen a postive ground Japanese machine and you can take that to the bank. If you have the old batteries hooked up still, and the colors make sense, then just copy the way it is. You could even try charging them to see what they'll do if you feel like it.
Two batteries - end to end standing at rear - right to left neg to frame Center (short jumper) pos to neg pos to starter
There ya go
I think that person to thank for this forum would be named Steve
Yep! :notworthy