Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thought on the Hitachi ZX 135

Art_H ยท 2014-06-09 01:04

I currently have an EX60-5, and feel it's a great little machine. Not too small to do some big work, but not to big to access tighter projects either. I have always had my eye on a bigger machine, and likely thought a Hitachi 120 would be the way to go. Blades are common etc. I often use for site clearing and stump excavation. So my thoughts were the counter weights would be an advantage. Then I was directed to the ZX135 machines with the zero tail swing. They also often come with blades. Does anyone have experience with either or both? What is the better machine? Or is a ZX160 the way to go? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1pp13bnos2014-06-09 09:42

    I think no matter what size you get, you're always going to want something a little bit bigger. The 120 I have works great, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't mind getting a 160. I don't know engine configuration in a 160, but my 120 sips fuel. CJ

  2. #2Art_H2014-06-09 13:26

    Yeah the fuel consumption rates are a massive factor with the current fuel pricing. Hauling difficulty is also a factor... I definitely want a blade though. They are just too hand to give up.

  3. #3RobVG2014-06-10 23:49

    We've had 8 Zaxis/Ex 120's over the last 10 years. They've been used mainly for digging and backfilling foundations. They've also done a lot of stump pulling. We use 160's for setting rock. We just got two ZX135's. As the guy that has to work on them- I despise 'em. Everything is a pain in the arse. I love to work on the Zaxis and EX's though. Just my 2 cents.

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-06-11 00:32

    LOL, yes the ZX135 is a pain to work on but they are still great machines. Most components are the same as a ZX120. I feel the 135 is more stable than the 120 but I have long legs and the cab gets pretty cramped compared to the full size machines.