I had an opportunity in April to run a WN excavator and I liked it, so this year I had some work that required a smaller mini ex than my Taki so I have a 38Z3 on rent. Its equipped with their Vertical Dig System and a Werk Brau coupler, thumb and a 2" bucket. Its a 8000 pound machine, zero tail. http://www.wackerneuson.us/en/products/detail/compact-excavators-zerotail-6t/38z3-1.html The project I have the mini on is in some real steep terrain at about 7000 feet, digging in a nasty septic system and setting rock walls along with my Takeuchi TB153FR. What I like about the machine: The big draw for me on this was the Vertical Dig System or VDS. It allows the superstructure to compensate for uneven terrain up to 27 degrees (superstructure tilts 15 degrees). It only tilts one way so you need to orientate the machine (either blade forward or behind you) to allow the machine to compensate for the direction of the slope. Its an incredibly helpful feature when digging in septic drain fields. You don't have to built a flat spot for the machine to keep the trench flat. It also came in handy when digging in places that you could not dig yourself flat like concrete and asphalt. Laborers like it because there is less hand labor due to the machine being able to dig flat in situations like that. The stick on this machine has good reach, not sure if it is a long stick model or if they are all like this but excellent reach, especially when working the slopes like we have been. The machine is able to handle large rocks very well, it surprises me on what it will lift, especially over the front and back of the machine. The digging forces are good, it digs in hard material well for a machine in this weight class. The stick crowd force is very good, especially for having as long of a stick as it does. The stick swings based on the activation of a button on the left joy stick. Its the same switch that you use to use the thumb, so you toggle between the two functions off the same control. This is the way some of the Kobelco units also manipulate the swing. At first, I was not a fan but the more I used it, the more familiar I have become with it. I had an IHI that had the swing on the floor of the machine which seemed more intuitive but I have grown to like this set up. The cab is roomy and getting through the door is easy (6'0-230) unlike some of the others I have run. The step into the machine is higher than normal, I guess due to the VDS system. Excellent access to the engine and hydraulics. The control system is precise and very controllable, stick cycle times are good, swing is ok but a little faster would not hurt my feelings. Everyone that has run the machine likes spending time in it. The blade has a lot of range of motion, so you can sit at extreme angles with the blade behind you and still flatten out the machine. I continue to like the Werk Brau equipment, this is the same coupler I have had on my TK equipment (only smaller) The thumb was good with excellent range of motion, especially for a direct link thumb. Some things that I wasn't excited about, track power is ok, but at my altitude and working the extreme slopes pushing with the blade up hill, the machine struggled at times. On flat ground it will push until it looses tractive effort. It has 28 hp (my 13k TK only has 10 hp more) naturally aspirated its working at this altitude as does my TK. Vision is slightly impaired to the right side of the machine due to the cowling on the right side of the machine. If they would slope that more it would be helpful. The ergonomics, are different than what I am used to. The throttle is on the left side as your sitting in the seat. Its on the arm rest that rotates up and down as you get in the machine. While this is purely subjective, I would like to see it on the right side of the operators station. If not auto idle at least I would like to have a manual idle button. Seat is nice but I like the Grammer in my TK better. Overall its a good performing mini excavator. Not as well known in North America, they are built in Europe and the number one excavator brand in Germany, I was told. Wacker Neuson builds the smaller mini excavators for CAT, so CAT apparently feels very comfortable with the product and WN as a company. This machine has some unique capabilities that set it apart from some other machines, the VDS and the range of motion of the blade, make it an especially good rough terrain excavator, but it gives up nothing on the flat ground other than a higher cab height. The European market (and CAT) may be on to something with this machine.
Neuson also makes or made excavators for Gehl. I don't know if that's the case anymore. I had a new ( in 1999 ) Gehl 602 that I wish I had back. Loved that machine. Really like the Neuson line. I think the controls are still the smoothest out there. I may be wrong about the year model, I can't remember:beatsme
We saw an old Drott that had the house bearing tilt feature, but it also had a stiff leg to minimize wear to the ram and ram ends, the idea being one would only use this feature when one had to, otherwise keep the stiff leg bolted in place. Do you think this cross slope compensation or Vertical Dig will sustain the forces applied to it over time?
Perhaps it would stress the hyd. cylinder that controls the VDS, but even if it does, the benefit of the system would be worth an occasional rebuild of the VDS cylinder (its small and easy to get to, clearly visible under the house). I believe given the time that they have had this feature, WN has either minimized the wear or its not an issue all together. It is an interesting question, that I will ask when I talk to WN.
Neuson no longer supplies anything to Gehl/Mustang/Manitou. They signed a deal with Yanmar in Jan 2012. I believe they changed all the Gehl model numbers to Zxx so you can tell if it is a Yanmar or Neuson. I wouldn't be suprised if there are a couple Neuson's still in stock. BTW - There was a proto Gehl with the VDS system on it maybe 5 years ago. Not sure why they didn't move forward with it back then, but I seem to recall some of the thinking was that the NA market wasn't as progressed as the EU market and they weren't sure customers would pay $$ for the feature. ISZ
Another thought: is it better to angle the entire house, or should one buy a wrist....have you tried a wrist? maybe some others on the forum who use their machines for fine finish grade or flat bottom trenching requirements could advise on the decision? if the wrist was installed with a electrical mode valve that was located on the dipper or maybe used the aux hydraulics (in lieu of running lines all the way from the house), then the wrist & coupler could be maybe moved to another machine or sold separately at sale time making a better return on your purchase investment(s). * This angled dig requirement is something that does indeed arise - with the TLB the stabilizers help in this regard. I don't have as much time on minis and no time on anything over a midi.
I don't know what the VDS costs over a nonVDS machine but I cant believe its more than a couple percent of purchase price. I think its a feature with some value, but the compact market in NA clearly is not as progressed as the EU, we have not had to be. However its not to say that some of the practices in common use there would be of benefit here, the 4 wheel drive articulated dumpers come to mind. They seem to be on every project in Europe and you never see one here. The compact wheel loader is also very popular there and slowly is gaining ground here, same with the compact wheeled excavator. Depending on your market, I think an owner can look to the EU for some solutions that would give you a leg up on your local competition in NA (a little "out of the box thinking").
Interesting eval. on the WN. I have heard that they are a solid machine with good power. Tilting house seems to definitely have it's place. Did it also have an angle blade? I know kubota is promoting this feature hard in our market....JCB is about 6-9 months away from launching a whole new mini ex line, and they tell us we will have the angle blade at that point. So the $1M question.....the next time you go to purchase a mini, will WN be in the mix??? Also, +1 for the Werk Brau attachments....we run many of their 1MN class and 76MN class attachments and couplers, and they hold up well.
This machine did not have an angle blade. I would certainly consider buying this machine. I have to give it back next week and to be honest, I really don't want it to leave. Made life much easier over the last couple months. I need to replace my big Ex (9020B) so that is priority number one.
I am about to turn my 38Z3 back, and I ran across this. A five year/5000 hour hyd. and powertrain warranty. It says a lot that they are willing to back their machine for 5 years, which is 3-4 years beyond any other OEM that I know of. WN apparently wants to put the North American compact excavator market on notice that they believe in their excavators. This 5 year warranty program provides the buyer with almost no repair expenses (beyond wear and tear and your own %uck ups), that keeps money in your pocket as well as making a strong statement. I am going to miss the little 38Z3. Especially the VDS component. I was surprised at how quick I came to utilize the VDS. No dicking with building a pad just hit the button, move the joy stick and your flat again. This rental was an eye opener. WN will be on my shortlist when I add an excavator, I wish I was in a position to take advantage of the this warranty program. http://www.wnwcms.com/lit/5-yearExtendedWarranty-Contractor-2013/
this link might work better: http://www.wnwcms.com/lit/5-yearExtendedWarranty-Contractor-2013/
I’m having issues with the VDS the button isn’t working when I push it and toggle the left stick. I even tried holding the button then toggling. Still nothing. Any chance any one has any thoughts on how to fix this or troubleshoot?