Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thumb reccomendations

Greg in KY ยท 2010-10-11 10:34

What do y'all recommend for a thumb for a Kobelco SK60 with a 24" bucket and a 5'8" stick? I plan to place big rocks-app. 100# to 400# and also use it for tree brush, firewood logs, and general playing on a farm. I think a mechanical thumb(not hydraulic) would be suitable. What style and size would be best? Where is the best place to buy one? Thanks, Greg

Replies12
  1. #1captain charlie2010-10-11 12:04

    I went to an auction and got lucky. I picked up a Excaliber X36 for $300. Cost $50 the have it welded on and works fine. I measured the width of the stick and the rest was pretty simple, http://www.excavatorthumb.com/how-to-install-your-thumb.html give good info.

  2. #2nobull12010-10-11 20:50

    I used a mechanical thumb on two of my machines for 8 years before i converted it to hydraulic. I should have converted it 8 years earlier. The difference is day and night IMO. I would try to get a hydraulic thumb if possible.

  3. #3Greg in KY2010-10-13 08:38

    nobull1, No more than I plan to use it -I think I will try the mechanical. I have never used a thumb. If I don't like it I will add the hydraulics later. I assume adding the hydraulics will more than double my cost. The mechanical thumb is $1,000.00 by itself(a MT1240 from USA Attachments). If I planned to use it daily I might think differently. I think I could imagine the advantages of the hydraulic thumb by watching videos on the web- I just hate to put that much money into it. Also my hoe has an offset boom no the plumbing is a little more complex. Thanks for the advice anyway. Thanks, Greg

  4. #4Danny Steel2010-10-13 09:34

    I'm going to build my own Hyd Thumb, But I need to know If you can use a standard cylinder, Or If It needs some kind of a releif valve

  5. #5Greg in KY2010-10-13 09:45

    I am not the expert but - I saw somewhere that the pressure for the thumb needs to be 80% of the pressure of the bucket cyl. Better double check me on that. Greg

  6. #6powerjoke2010-10-13 11:48

    here's a thread that has some good info on a thumb build. Hyd PSI isnt going to play a huge factor due to the fact that pin locations and bore size of the cyl will play a more critical role. Pj

  7. #7stumpjumper832010-10-13 12:56

    oh you want a hydraulic thumb man. Its like shift on the fly 4x4 vs. get out and lock the hubs and shift in neutral 4x4. either works but one is just so much more handy. mech. thumbs work best only within a few feet of their optimal pinch point. you should pull the pin and stow the thumb prior to trenching. With a hyd raulic thimb if you find a gooner in the trench, engage the thumb and pull it out, then fold it back out of the way. If your mass excavating, you can keep a piece of i beam around and dress up as you go. To me the question would be to go progressive linked or not. mechanical or hydraulic is a no brainer.

  8. #8Danny Steel2010-10-13 13:20

    Hey Greg, I just spoke with the dealer up north here, He told me that If my Kubota came from the USA, It will need a relief valve added for a hyd thumb Install...most of the Kubota Canadian machines have the relief valve In from factory........He also told me that all the pressures have to be checked out when a HYD thumb Is Installed. The worst part was the price at $3000 to have one Installed.

  9. #9strott2010-10-13 14:50

    ^^One way of getting your machine's pressures checked out though!!^^

  10. #10Danny Steel2010-10-13 17:35

    Your right there mate To the OP There Is less agravation and the cost Is a lot less with the fixed thumb, But If your going to use It alot, I would go with a hyd thumb:usa

  11. #11jrtraderny2010-10-13 22:42

    If your machine is already plumbed for aux. hydraulics the only added cost should be the cylinder and a crossover relief valve. Not that expensive jr

  12. #12jrtraderny2010-10-13 22:45

    That's nuts all you need is a crossover relief valve in the circuit, shouldn't be over $200 for one. jr