Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tie down and trench crossing question.

Preppypyro · 2008-04-28 23:03

First question i have is about tieing my hoe (back hoe ) down on my trailer. I dont have any places on my trailer to tie onto yet, so I am going to get a local welder to weld some square chunks of metal with a hole in the middle (to put a hook through) Im just trying to figure out the best place on the trailer to mount them. So I assume I can wrap a chain around the rear arms, for the back of the hoe. The front of the hoe I can go around the front axle on each side. There is a piece sticking up that I think is a stopper, that I think I can use that to put the chaing behind to tighten, What do you guys think? Now the second question is about trenching. What is the proper procedure for "crossing over" a trench? I dont mean like crossing right over, but so I am on each side so i can dig, or say I dig up to something and have to get away from the trench. I hope someone kinda knows what I mean lol.

Replies8
  1. #1humboldt deere2008-04-28 23:10

    You can parallel the trench and then use the hoe to move the rear end straddling the trench leaving the front bucket on one side of the trench. If you are digging up to something reposition yourself before you get stuck. Digging at an angle to the trench gives you a better view of your work also.

  2. #2dirt digger2008-04-29 00:32

    :dizzy what kind of hoe is it? Most larger ones have tie downs clearly built into them. 4 points on the machine then 1 over the loader arms and 1 over the hoe Get D-rings welded onto your trailer...they will hold up much better then a piece of steel with a hole cut into it as far as strattling a ditch...as long as it fits between your tires and the soil allows it then just strattle...if you are talking about digging a ditch, say to a house from the yard you dig as much as you can then turn around and dig from the house back to your ditch, when you connect the two you drag your machine and pull your back tire over the ditch and lower your stabilizer...your tire usually is directly over the ditch so make sure the ground under your stabilizers is relatively firm, then you just push yourself back over when your done, you don't need to entire machine over the ditch, just the center pin at the rear

  3. #3JS580SL2008-04-29 09:13

    what like this?

  4. #4Preppypyro2008-04-29 09:48

    Thanks for the advice, and the pictures are excellent, I do love pics Also thanks for the advice on the d-rings, i never even thought of that. I was thinking about welding some hooks and a few other things but the d hooks are a great idea! As for the hoe, its a 1995 580 sk. I have looked aroud but I dont see any tie downs built into it.

  5. #5JS580SL2008-04-29 10:04

    Its not the way DOT wants it but you can go through between the swing tower and tractor frame and over the front axle like you said. The L's and M's have slots in the frame by the stabilizers for a hook on each side. The M's also have tie downs on the front of the frame which make like real easy.

  6. #6JS580SL2008-04-29 10:06

    When you swing over and close to trenches make sure you have the hoe positioned that it acts like one big stabilizer.

  7. #7CatYelloBlooded2008-04-29 10:13

    When we loaded our 580K or L, our trailer is made by interstate trailers and has the d-rings nicely welded on each side of the trailer. We get by in IL by putting the front bucket under the lip on the front and running one chain over the bottom pins on the bucket on the front. Then we run one chain through the lower frame for the swing on the boom with the boom up and tighten. We welded a small peice of channel onto the dovetail which accepts the linkage from the bucket as we let the boom down onto the trailer. Only gives four points of contact but feels solid.

  8. #8Kgmz2008-04-30 00:11

    Here is a link to a very good investigation of a truck drivers death due to hauling heavy equipment that was not tied down correctly. Investigation was done by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation Program. Investigators also talk about proper securement and tie down points. http://www.cdc.gov/Niosh/FACE/stateface/mi/02mi040.html And Federal Motor Carrier Safety Rule 393.130 says: Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery 393.130 The following applies to vehicles, equipment, and machinery individually weighing 10,000 lbs. or more. Loads less than 10,000 lbs. may be secured according to the general requirements of 393.100 to 393.114, or 393.128: • Equipment with crawler tracks or wheels must be secured with at least four tiedowns, attached as close as possible to the front and rear of the vehicle. • Accessory equipment (e.g., shovels, buckets) must be lowered and secured to the vehicle, or lowered and locked in place to prevent shifting during transport. • Articulated vehicles must be restrained to prevent articulation while in transit. And most DOT officers I have asked about this say as mentioned before for a backhoe. 6 chains and 6 binders One on each corner of machine with it own binder, and one for front bucket and another for rear bucket.