Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tigercat 630c problems

Madill 124 · 2018-12-04 12:07

hi, i bought a 2005 tigercat 630c. the front differential died in it about 2 weeks after i bought it. the diff was built by axeltech. i was told they are junk. i have found out this was the first tigercat skidder built with these diffs and not many were made. i have had problems finding parts or a used diff. the parts have to be built in Asia and will take 2-3 months, and will cost a fortune. if anyone has some input it would be appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1cubanator2018-12-05 12:04

    You see if https://skidderbuncherparts.com/ Wally's had any parts? Only place I know of off the top of my head...

  2. #2Madill 1242018-12-05 16:41

    Hi thanks for the reply. I already tried Wally he doesn't have anything for a C model.

  3. #3Muffler Bearing2018-12-05 17:19

    Is Tiger Cat not offering the part? or you just want to go aftermarket?

  4. #4Madill 1242018-12-05 17:58

    It's a odball diff that only a few tigercat 630c were made with. The carrier/housing for the spider gears and for the crown gear bolt to are chewed up, beyond repair. There is no carriers in North America so they have to be built in Asia and will take 2-3 months to be built.

  5. #5cubanator2018-12-05 18:43

    Ok. I texted them but didn't hear back. Buddy had to get some parts for an EU excavator he bought, same deal. They literally reverse engineered the parts and cast and machined them and shipped from China. Surprisingly they were not bad quality. Only down about a month.

  6. #6Plebeian2018-12-06 04:43

    and if the axle breaks again is it another 1 month or more lost? Is it too costly/ difficult to convert to some rebuilt Funk axles of the right ratio front and back. driveshaft length,ratios, diff lock activation, axle location, width etc. sweda 1400 (these were also on the 630B? wrecked examples around.) https://pjpower-website.s3.amazonaws.com/files/funk-axles.pdf?mtime=20171010145340

  7. #7Vetech632018-12-06 07:21

    Pettibone used Axletech axles forever until around 2010. We had to get away from them because the parts availability for them was atrocious. Now here is what I do when I run into needing Axletech parts. ………...on the diff housing, there should be an Axletech metal tag. Get ALL the numbers from the tag (should be a model #, S#, date of manufacture, and an OS#) ………...You can contact Axletech, or even better an Axletech distributor, give them those numbers...…...and ask for a bill of materials for THAT axle. When you receive it, find the part #'s of what you need (in the AXLETECH part #'s) and do an internet search. You wont find anything using a Tigercat part #. Its a long shot, but 90% of the time, I have been able to find what I need in used, overstock, etc.... Axletech used to be good about stamping their part numbers on each part...…..might clean it up real good and look (That was in the earlier days when Rockwell sold that division to Axletech)

  8. #8Muffler Bearing2018-12-06 09:00

    sounds like a mess, sorry to hear that

  9. #9shadowman10002019-05-09 08:28

    Im a logger from the south and new to this site . ive had a few Tigercat machines with axeltech diffs , ive rebuilt a couple and actually talked the guy at axeltech that designed them and he said that they were so strong and so few failures that no spare parts were built , that the only equipment manufactures that had bought spares chunks is the only chance to find new parts . Tigercat used them in the 630's and early 610's . only the carriers are different , inside parts will interchange front to rear . tidewater equipment had 40 front chunks 6 years ago, no rear chunks . I have a new front carrier , and some good used parts .

  10. #10thepumpguysc2019-05-09 12:03

    Bobby Goodson Logging runs TC's.. saw it on TV, so it must be true.. {Swamp Loggers} Saw the episode where he blew up the motor & had a TC tech there w/ a new one in 2 days.. NOW THAT is customer service.. I forget how much it cost him tho.. but w/ the network picking up the tab.. it probably wasn't much outa HIS pocket.??

  11. #11Madill 1242019-05-10 13:44

    Hi, thanks for the reply. When I bought this skidder the back diff was new, it ran for a 100 hours before the front one died. I was told from a few equipment dealers that axle techs are junk and that when they die, they put John Deere diffs in them. I put a set of diffs in it out of a 748E and it seems to be working pretty good.