Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Time for a little repair work no S/N needed

DMiller ยท 2016-08-08 21:10

Not so much for my worn slick machines but now for my worn slick personal ***. Seems the herniated discs I damaged WAAYYY back in '77 are coming of age and time that they will not cool their jets after a bit of rest as they used to. So I went to the Doc, did the MRI, did all the therapy, injections, jumping pain aid strengths and now I am down to the final steps, surgery. Three bad spots, two impinging on the nerve bundles, some stenosis which is unrestricted bone growth into the nerve channels and what I have been avoiding for the last 39 years is here with a vengeance. They no longer have to cut you open as if gutting a fish, they do much of the repairs micro surgery thru minor(their words) incisions and faster recoveries. I find out 08/31 how bad or good it can be. Will be on for a couple weeks then I will be incognito for a bit as I won't be able to sit and type as have been. Keep me a warm spot to come back to, Thanks Dave

Replies18
  1. #1td25c2016-08-08 21:38

    Wish you the best DMiller trough the surgery . It's amazing what they can do today with all the new equipment in the medical field . You spooked me a little with the thread title , I thought the Allis Chalmers track loader was in trouble . Hang tough Dave , We will be thinking about you and keep a chair out for ya through the recovery Bro .

  2. #2lantraxco2016-08-08 23:12

    Serial number 1 of course Hope it all goes well for you and a speedy recovery. Maybe we all need a set of inserts rolled in at 10,000 hours?

  3. #3mitch5042016-08-08 23:20

    Good luck, I'm 6 weeks post surgery, and while I'm not finished healing, it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

  4. #4sheepfoot2016-08-08 23:51

    Good luck also, hang in there!!. I'm also at 7 weeks post surgery and hope to go back to work on the 16th or 22nd of this month according the doc.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2016-08-09 04:32

    I'm heading for my 2nd surgery in 2 years.. 1st one was botched and recovery wasn't fun.. until I found a Chiropractor that took the pressure off the nerve. This time, I reinjured/ squashed the disk again.. its been 3 weeks and I'm STILL waiting on a surgery date.. GOOD LUCK with yours and Welcome to the " Broken Mechanics Club "..

  6. #6DMiller2016-08-09 06:35

    Thanks all, have heard some horror stories but also much of the good reports so am looking forward to removal of the pain and little man that grabs me when I work too long too hard. Guess I am no where to near and have to accept not 19 anymore!! And TD, the old AC just got her batteries replaced AGAIN so is in fighting trim for when I get back to it, still just struggling along as I am!!

  7. #7f311fr12016-08-09 20:51

    God speed and a quick recovery.

  8. #8boone2016-08-09 22:34

    Hope the surgery and recovery go well Dave. I'm sure you'll be back to the keyboard in short order...and back to the Allis not long after.

  9. #9grandpa2016-08-09 22:51

    Im 25 years post surgery..... once I healed up, I never looked back. Good Luck to you and I know you will wear out many more machines!!!

  10. #10Scrub Puller2016-08-09 23:11

    Yair. . . DMiller. All the best from Down Under mate . . . and keep us posted when you can. Cheers.

  11. #11Tinkerer2016-08-10 21:30

    Good Luck and keep us posted Dave. I just spent 7 days and and nights bedridden with my recurring lower back problem. I thank God every day that I am able to get over it without surgery.

  12. #12DMiller2016-09-04 13:13

    Well guys, been home now three full and one half day, ride home was a less than treat where I would have pee'd myself had I not been so tensed up at least half dozen times in the 52 miles. First couple nights rough, no comfort zone for laying, sitting or position to be in but that has waned. Have NOT taken a pain pill since left the surgical floor!! No need of them(I do have a higher threshold then most). Being a motivated moron that feels he HAS TO get things done, I am now up to 950 feet one way walking from the house to the highway down our drive, 1/4+/- mile round trip wanting to be at 2 miles in the next week so will be hitting the HS track or the KATY trail at Rhineland MO. Just a little determined. Surgery obviously went well, removed herniation extrusions, will be rescanned in two weeks, then cleared buildup stenosis along nerve channels of vertebra at L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1, took some longer for them to perform as originally considered as stenosis from previous injury was heavier than expected. As to attitude, I AM GREAT!!

  13. #13lantraxco2016-09-04 14:30

    Good to hear, determined is great but don't push too hard, give your body time to heal man! :notworthy

  14. #14old-iron-habit2016-09-04 16:09

    I am a firm believer in taking the minimal pain killers possible. Perhaps from being a knothead myself, I never used any painkillers either when I broke my neck last fall. I am always afraid that if I mask the pain, I might push things to hard and do more damage. Other folks say I am stupid to not take them if they are available. To each his own I guess. Good luck on your continued recovery, 3-1/2 days and you are posting again so you are two weeks ahead of your pre surgery expectations.

  15. #15Labparamour2016-09-04 16:36

    Glad everything went well and you're back on your feet! Sucks when you can't get away from the pain so happy for you that the surgery was a success...hope follow-up shows everything you and your doc's hoped for! DB

  16. #16Metalman 552016-09-05 06:39

    DMiller..........missed reading this one until now. Glad to hear the repair job was a success & that you getting back into routine. All the best in your recovery. Give the 7G a nice pat when you walk by her to let her know you still care!!

  17. #17Dickjr.2016-09-05 12:17

    A guy I work for is going thru this , he is only 41. I shared your story with him , he's been a little down about it which is understandable. Good to hear you are on the road to recovery.

  18. #18DMiller2016-09-07 11:15

    Old Iron, you and I think alike, pain was my marker to time out or back away and pain relievers just made it too easy to keep tearing it up further. It has been almost a full week now, and while I may not be experiencing 'typical' recovery where some will still have pain and aches I am ASTONISHINGLY happy as to the results. Dickjr. the one caution is the style of surgery to seal up the herniation's, and then remove the scar tissue stenosis is still short lived. The notation my Doc made was this should be good 12-16 years and could be required again then or require more extensive repair as shim and pin/plate/screw install which is called a 'A-lift' That 41 year old should put it off as long as he is capable of standing as I did to extend the time of function without re-surgery, at my age should take me to where I won't need second entry. BTW my walk this morning was a mile and a quarter across the Hermann MO river bridge and back, was not a challenge so moving up to the KATY trail next, Doc wants up to two miles by next Tuesday. Old 7G sits quietly and yes I run a hand along the running boards or fuel tank once in awhile as I walk by, strange you should note that! We do get to treating them as if they were alive don't we?