My tread is getting worn down pretty good on my rear tires and sucks to drive around when it's just wet out... the size is 19.5l-24. I was thinking of looking for an r-1 style tread ag tires so the. It might go a littke better in the sloppy stuff. My backhoe sees virtually no pavement just a little in driveway and down the tar and chip road a few hundred yards and back. I was going to go with the ag tires and then if it still sucks in any bit of mud I was going to build some pieces so I would be able to activate the rear diff lock. Also where is the best place to buy these big expensive tires?
Any tire dealer should be able to get them. That would include farm supply stores. The downside of ag tires on a TLB would be the ruts the aggressive tread would make on / in residential areas such as lawns. Get a tire with a high enough ply rating to hold up to what you will be doing. Especially the side walls. Ag tires are a real problem when backing up in mud because the tread will load up with mud.
I would check with your local coop as they will be able to install the tire. Are you getting them filled with antifreeze? I have seen a seller on eBay that has them by the pair for less than a grand. Not bad but I qwould compare prices with your local coop. New to me Case 590sl Massey 135 Ford f150 echoboost
I can change the tires myself that is by no means an issue and would probably trust myself over some incompetent tire shop anyways. The backhoe stays on my property. I was thinking long bar short bar tires if I could find them in that size. that fread pattern should aid in backing up. The current tires are horriffic to try and back up with. I'm not worried about loading tires because I have plenty of rear weight. If I'd lead tires it'd be the fronts and there isn't enough tire there to make it worth my time. and I was curious about where everybody is finding the best prices.
What kind of backhoe is it? I have the same size rear tires on my 580SL that I'll wrap in duct tape before I buy new ones. I'm guessing with mounting it'll be close to $2,000 for those. I'm interested in any responses. I asked a similar question about 12x16.5 front tires a few weeks ago and didn't get any traction (pun intended).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-Solid...838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f47be8cae OK that's probably the best deal I have found 2 tires for 1075 shipping included.
I have a '94 case 580sk like in my signature. My tires aren't even completely bald. I think they were ran with too low of air psi on pavement for too long. Both sides are down almost flat then in the center and very outermost tread they still have like 8/32". I just tired of having to pull myself out everywhere with the backhoe. I'll probably run the fronts till they're bald since the front axle does very little for traction. I'm most likely going to build a li lage setup so I can engage the rear locker. I'll just have to be careful not to use it on hard pack. That's not a bad price, but I think my one former manager said he could get them for about $400 a tire I think I'll have to check with him again. I think these r4 style tires suck in the dirt and mud, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in other treads.
I don't know why you think r4 suck in the dirt and mud as it is a self cleaning tire designed for working in the dirt and mud. Maybe its the reverse that is more the problem. If you are down to8/32 then you are bald. You need a good one inch to pick up traction. You are right to let the front go as long as they can. It is better to spend the money on the rear where it counts
I've never had a new set. So i guess I don't truly know how well they work. The tires on mine suck is better wording I guess. I've only ever had r1 tread on tractors. This is also by far the largest machine I've had. I just want the best dirt and mud traction since that's pretty much all my backhoe sees and it's normally soft dirt, because I'm In the process if clearing a patch of pine trees behind my barn.
I am sure if you get new ones you will have all the traction you need to clear the land with that 4 in one blade. You machine ways 15 k give It some good rubber and I sure it will work more like a dozer and less like a bobcat
I would also add that if the R1 tread pattern was any good on a TLB why is it I have never seen one with them ? I would never consider anything but the R4 pattern for my own machine.
Are the cheap tires lime solideal as good as expensive tires like firestones or should I cough up the $ for expensive tires. Also I believe how my 580sk is outfitted it's 17k lbs. Also thanks for all of the input guys.
I would purchase the cheapest tires I could find from a dealer close to where I live. The reason being, what do you do if you have a ply separation with a tire you bought from an eBay vendor that may be 1000 miles from where you live. Everyone has different results with tires. What I mean is that no doubt some have had good luck with cheap tires and other people have bad results with brand name tires.
I have been buying solideal tires for the rear when my stock ones wear out. I have had good luck with them. They have a nice deap lugg. I have had firestone and good year that came on the backhoes from new. The firestones are good and lasted a long time. In my opinion Goodyear are junk. They dry out and crack way to fast. And there front tires like to develop air bubles in between the lugs then fail. I would never by goodyears for a backhoe. I my try a set of Michelin radials for the next set of rear tires. I hear they last longer ride better and more puncture resistant. But you pay for it.
I'm gonna have to check with some local places and see who has the best price For 12 ply tires.
I've had good luck and use from Armstrong rears; which are now Titans. It was a middle cost option, not super cheap or expensive.
Got a price of $425 a piece for generic tires from my old boss. That's by far the best price I've found for any tire. He can also get titans for $500. I figure the I'll just go with the cheap ones.
What brand are the cheap ones? I need a set for my hoe ( 416C ) not right now but its coming. I have the original goodyear on the rear , they still have 25% to 35% tread left. My problem is that they have been plugged or booted numerous times. 500 per tire sounds reasonable.
I was talking to the local truck and tractor tire place here about new tires for the 710B. I also was looking into the AG traction tires do to the mud and hill I deal with every day. (Well winter and spring time) They told me that Ag tires would have a hard time supporting the 18K tractor and recommended staying with the R4 Industrial tires. Went with the Tiatan and I have no problem getting up that muddy hill now.
I got the loadmaxx tires for $901 dropped off at my work place. $425 each plus tax. They seem to be ok tires. Now I'm contemplating getting at least the front tires polyurethane filled possibly the back tires I just put on too. Never having to worry about a flat would be nice.
Where did you find the tires? For that i might replace mine
You may be in for a rough ride. It is well documented that the foam makes tires really hard. It also adds substantial weight to them.
From my field manager. He has a littke tire shop business on the side. Ringgold tire in Ringgold, Pa THE Front End definitely needs more weight. My backhoe hasn't seen more than 2 mi on a tar and chip road otherwise a paved road so I don't think rough ride would be much of an issue. Filling all 4 with foam would be nice not having to ever worry about flats. I think I'd feel bad for my yard though. The tlb is already a littke heavy to be turf friendly.
Thanks ringolf what brand of tires are they. I googled loadmaxx and came up dry
I'm pretty sure they're loadmaxx. I'll have to go get a second look.
Thanks also does your dealer ship out of state i need some 21lx24 higher tge ply the better
I'm not sure I've only bought them locally and had them shipped to our ship which is just a few miles from his shop.
I guess i should ask where is local.i am in athens tn
I got them in brookville, pa. That would be local within a half hour of his tire shop.