I was just wondering if anyone can give me some hints or tips on taking the test first up the knowledge then the in truck I am looking for anything.
Study, Study, Study. That's all I did, but my mind still went blank during the pre-trip when I got my class A. Had to do that part twice. Just take your time and get it right.
I don't remember the CDL pre trip being very hard. I am in Minnesota and took my class A in 2003 I think. Seems to me that was about the easiest part of the whole test. Just get familiar with the truck you are going to take the test in so you know where everything is, and study that manual. Shifting the truck is where I thought I was gonna get failed. I live in a river town with hills everywhere. There was one particular hill on a busy road that I remeber hitting maybe 3 gears and then missed one and rolled for what seemed like forever as I struggled to find a gear it would go into. :beatsme The other thing I didn't do so hot on was the "alley dock" or 90 degree corner in reverse. I took the test with a 28' pup trailer and just never really got the hang of backing that thing. I find a 48 or 53 is so much easier to back up. Not trying to brag, but I went from never having drove a semi in my life to having my class A in 2 weeks. I did however study the manual for who knows how long. Alo longer then 2 weeks. 6 months maybe. I had that thing memorized. Guess what I am saying is its not all that hard. If you know how to shift a manual truck transmission already, or if your gonna drive an auto, your miles ahead already. After that you need to get used to the goofy wide turns you will have to make with a trailer, backing up and all the common sense and safety stuff that goes with driving a big truck. Always being aware of low wires and branches, increasing the distance between the cars infront of you, watching for cars sqeezing up along side you when your waiting to turn right, ect. most of that stuff is touched on in the manual. What kind of truck will you be driving? Do you need any of the endorsements? The Haz-Mat one is a pain in the ass to get. Pretty long written test and section of the manual you have to study and an expansive background check is required now. Best of luck to you on the test! I am a bit jealous, I hung up the keys to take a non trucking job 3 years ago. Somedays a really miss the feeling of driving a truck. Andy then somedays I don't... -Andy
i took my A this past spring, Canada is probly different then US tests and requirements, but ti was pretty easy i found it to be less nerve racking and overall more enjoyable then the G test. just be calm, if you get one of those testers that are laid back find something to talk about on common ground it will ease the tention in the truck for the written test, its just like any thing else just study for a couple weeks and then go write it, alternativly if you are going to a truck school write it at the end of your class after a week in the class room youll know it any ways.
The written parts was hardest for me. Study lots. The driving test, I was told to put your head on a swivel when coming to intersections. The instructor said I didn't look around enough. Backing takes lots of practice. set up some cones and practice all you can. I drove semi's in the millitary for five years so that part was easy to me. On the pre trip just say and touch everything if you can remember its on the test or not. Also tell them you are looking for leaks. One other thing I forgot on my pre test. Make sure when checking the blinkers that you check the little green lites on the dash. Who checks those really?? Good luck. Hope everyones advice helps out.
YES!!...I was "teaching" my buddy how to take the pre-trip and just kept telling him to say everything outloud that came into his mind when he was taking the test, whether he thought it was trivial or not....he didn't and forgot to do the pump-down test to listen for the buzzer and make sure the buttons pop...oh well I was fortunate enough to pass both tests on the first try...will you be driving truck everyday? I'll tell ya...I use to drive truck everyday and now am in a job where I might never see behind the wheel of a big rig again...only reason I keep the CDL is I tow a 12K trailer then and again...but it can almost be more hassle then its worth if you don't drive a lot because your Blood Alchohol Limit is half that of a regular license and your fines if you get pulled over generally cost more then a regular license holder (even in your personal car)...plus most cops don't have any pity on you because they think you should know better
Thanks for all the tips, I almost have the manual memorized and the truck is an auto, I think that I am most nervous, because I am going up in the ranks at our shop to field tech, so I need a class B to drive it, oh well we'll see how it goes.
Google CDL practice test. There should be some that come that are free. Also,don't hit any curbs while cornering.In Illinois it is a automatic failure!!! Yes, I learned it the hard way.When I did the part where I had to back into the dock,it was pouring out. I could not keep the mirrors clean enough to see out of, so I did the only thing I could think of,stand on the battery box and look at the back of the trailer. Examiner said she had never seen that approach before. Study the book, take the pretest, and relax, if I can pass it anyone can.........
My tester later told me two things he looks for- A) That your head physically turn all the way from left mirror, through windshield, to right mirror every 5-10 seconds. B) During the pre-trip, speak out load the name of what you are going to touch, and what you are looking for. And be sure and check for cracks in the frame...
When I took mine, I had to parallel park my truck and trailer. I'm not sure if you have to do this but it does take quite a bit of practice. I was told no closer to the curb than 6" and no further than 12". Also, DONT HIT A CURB!!! I took my test in an extended hood Pete with a drop axle and a quad axle lowboy. As I was entering the on ramp, I told the driver that I had to put the left front tire on the curb and that the right rear of the trailer would be on the other curb. She said that was fine but if I had not told her, I would have failed. My pre-trip was all done on computer. When we went out to the truck, I didnt have to do a thing but check my lights and do a pump down test. Concentrate on your pre-trip and drive like you have some common sense and you should be fine. One other thing, anytime you go under an overpass, memorize what the height sign said. The instructor may ask you a few miles down the road. Good luck and let us know how you did.
Well I got my permit so now it is just time for the driving test, thank you every one for the tips the are paying off so far :drinkup
congrats bud...now that you are in a real truck any road rage you might have had in a small car you might as well throw out the window now...a truck driver with road rage doesn't last very long as a truck driver keep a level head, don't panic when the gears start to grind and have fun there is a VERY helpful video on youtube about how to get a truck back in gear if you start to grind..if anyone remembers this link it might really help some guys out..i know it really helped when i started learning
The overpass height thing is the one they all try to get you with. My instructor asked me the height of one about 5 mins after we went under it and I didnt know. I did the same thing to her after the next over pass and she didnt know, so she didnt mark me down.
Ok so I go for my test on Thurs. the 3rd, I have been practicing like mad but I am having trouble with the offset backing (parallel) parking, I am using a straight truck any tips
Clean your mirrors- make sure they're spotless. Every bit of visibility helps.
Thank you all for the help, the tips worked I passed with flying colors, now I am on the road full time and loving it thanks again guys it helped out a lot.
Cdl Why dont you give a detailed list of the drivers test, while its fresh in your mind, that seems like, that is what everyone is nervous about. The smallest detail might be helpful. Thanks and congratulations
All I can say is practice the skills part, study for the pre-trip, and just drive safe and check your mirrors on the road test, I practiced my skills part for 4 days in a row, my wife almost killed me.
Congrats
only 3 shots of beam per hundred lbs. of body weight within 2 hrs of driven part of test
Tips on CDL test: Is that really true... only 3 shots/cwt??? That wouldn't be enough to remove a persons test anxiety. How 'bout Wild Turkey, it goes all the way to 108.2 proof, that would be a little more relaxifying... help remove some of that terrible stress associated with shifting too... OCR... lol Just kidding... driving drunk is a... :nono
Guys I think it all comes down to the guy in the driver's seat and the guy in the passenger seat. If the guy in the passenger seat doesn't like you, you have troubles. Give them their power trip, call them "sir", don't dress like a pig, don't smoke, chew, etc. and don't try to suck-up to them, either. Be business-like and do the best you can. My single best tip would be to keep both hands on the wheel unless you're shifting or signaling.
I read the book once... got a 90. 95. 85 .90 on the 4 parts here the ask about the vehicle inside and out.. like name that part .... that was my 85 the last 90 was driving... stopped over white line at red light.. second was when she asked me the bridge height... but I wasn't watching the bridge . I was watching the car crashing into the guard rail... opposite us...
DMV tricks How did they set up that crash into the guard rail opposite of you? How did they know that you would be at that exact spot at that exact time? Boy, the effort that they must have gone thru to try to keep you off the road. All in good jest, Gene.
keep your head moving checking your mirrors and get there early before the lovely women of your DMV have a chance to get mad.
Study the book and take the pre test and you will do fine if you can drive a truck.
hi! the post was nice and informative! thanks