Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire Chains

Plongson ยท 2016-09-20 19:16

Thinking about winter and considering some chains for the front of the 210LE for snow removal. Where do you guys get your chains from? Are they $$?? Searching the internet returns poor results... Tire size is 305/70D 16.5 Paul

Replies9
  1. #1Grady2016-09-20 22:59

    I've bought several sets of chains from a place called Windy Ridge in Tamworth, NH. They have several different levels of "grip" depending on your needs. They're the cheapest around here but so heavy the shipping will probably kill you. Might want to give them a call though - they might be able to have them drop shipped to you. How much snow are you dealing with? Do you already have a set for the rears?

  2. #2Steve Frazier2016-09-20 23:25

    I used www.tirechains.com and was real pleased with what I received. I bought them for my skid steer but they have chains to fit almost anything plus accessories. A good pair of chain pliers are a big help if something gets tangled or breaks.

  3. #3redneckracin2016-09-21 07:29

    tirechains.com and tirechainsrequired.com

  4. #4Willie B2016-09-21 07:39

    Shipping would be a bitch, but my friend closed his farm supply store. He's asking $40.00 a pair. Mostly they are truck chains you have to cut down. I like cutting down chains as it leaves me plenty of spare cross chains. Willie

  5. #5Plongson2016-09-21 08:55

    Thanks for the reply's! I'll check out the websites... Grady: I do not have chains for either the front or rear. Normally we get from a few inches to a foot then it kinda goes away then back again...I say normally because last Feb. it snowed on/off for 3 days and we ended up with a bit over 2 feet. That probably sounds funny to folks in the snow belt but it was tough here...one BIG reason I convinced Mama we needed a tractor. I also have NO idea how this rig will perform in snow/ice. Willie: You're right, shipping would be tough but worth investigating. I wonder if he has anything close to my size...What's the number of his store?

  6. #6Grady2016-09-21 09:41

    I'd go with rear chains first and fronts if you need them - depends on how bad winter is around there and if your place is pretty flat or ups and downs. From the sounds of it, just some basic chains will do. Some weight on the back will help with traction. Around here, a drum filled with concrete and rigged like an implement you can back up to and grab with your 3 point hitch is common on tractors used to plow. That place in Tamworth, NH has an entire steel building full of chains from floor to tall ceiling - pretty impressive - I don't know them personally but they have good prices - not close-out but got me to drive an hour each way a few times.

  7. #7Willie B2016-09-21 09:56

    In 1995 I bought my first backhoe, a John Deere 410 (14,000 LBS). I reasoned that a machine that heavy would be virtually glued to the ground, I'd get by with out chains. My first snow proved me wrong! A tractor on ice, or packed snow is a giant toboggan. As you have no brakes on front wheels, you need first to have rear chains. Front chains are nice, but less essential. As for the store, he's closed. It's a matter of catching him. None of the chains are labeled as to size. You find a set of the width you need, and cut the side chains to needed length. Willie

  8. #8Delmer2016-09-21 10:05

    How steep are the areas that you need to plow? that makes a huge difference with something heavy like a backhoe. With four wheel drive and not as likely to get ice storms as other areas (?), I'd see how it goes for a winter, unless you'll go down a ski hill if you slide off the driveway?

  9. #9fast_st2016-09-21 11:58

    Another vote for tirechain.com and at the end of the season, have your welder put some hard face on the worn spots. If you don't have a company welder, add a few dots with a mig gun to the wear areas, it'll help your chains last a lot longer. With a big wire feed gun and a steel table, it only takes about half an hour to an hour to go over the set and touch them up at the end of winter before they're all rusty. You might want to think about rear chains first, combined with split brakes for extra steering response. Much more weight on the rear usually. Not sure how much clearance the 210 has.