Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire plys for 1970 580ck

twistedvines ยท 2014-07-01 13:58

Hello all, need to replace the back tires on my 1970 580ck. Currently have 17.5 x 24 tires. Cant read the ply ratings. I know this unit weighs about 9500lbs. So should I be looking at 8,10, or 12 ply? I found some new blems that are 8 ply for a good price to me, or I can spend about 200.00 more each and get new 10 plys. I think the originals were 14.9x24 6 plys but dont know the load rating back then. Any suggestions would be great Thanks Jesse

Replies1
  1. #1mitch5042014-07-01 22:36

    The 8 plys will be fine, my 580 SuperK carries 10 ply, and it is 17,000 lbs. The weight capacity per nominal ply for a given size tire hasn't changed, it's not really how many plies are in the tire, but a number used to denote load carrying capacity.