Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TL240 how to use quick couplers?

edrrt ยท 2017-05-14 17:38

Takeuchi TL240 or Mustang MTL25. I have a 4:1 and every time I try to attach the flat face quick dissconnect fittings they won't go on or only one will go on because of the pressure. Normally I just pop them right off. I'm thinking there must be some sequins with either the controls or how they are just connected to prevent this from happening? The instruction manual just says as you insert the fittings the pressure will be automatically relieved but this clearly is not the case. I saw someone post hear that you should depress the fittings before removing them to relieve pressure from the implement or you will not be able to get them back on and I'm thinking perhaps this is the case. However there's no mention of this in the manual. Does anyone know the procedure for utilizing quick couplers on this machine? Is there some order of connecting or disconnecting or using the controls in order to relieve the pressure?

Replies5
  1. #1Ronsii2017-05-14 19:45

    Don't know about the tak q/c's but on a few of our machines with the same q/c's you must shut the pump/motor off or else there is just too much pressure kept in the system, sometimes I have to shut down then turn the key back on to cycle the aux valves to relieve pressure. Have also had attachments that were brought to a job then sat in the sun for most of the day had so much pressure in them I had to loosen and bleed off a fitting to get it to go on. There is also a cool tool made/sold in Germany designed exactly for leveraging these fitting together, don't know if anyone sells them in the states or not??? also don't remember who made it but maybe someone else on here does

  2. #2Tags2017-05-14 19:55

    If you leave the bucket in the sun when you disconnect it the fluid in the lines expand and creates pressure on the couplings. You can crack the lines where the couplers attach or where they attach to the bucket to relive the pressure. If I'm on a job and take the bucket off I try to do it in a shady spot.

  3. #3f311fr12017-05-14 21:07

    On our Cat 299D2 you push back the high flow couplers toward the machine to bleed off the pressure before disconecting. Also do your couplers have a small bump or ball that has to align with a notch in the outer sleeve. Our ASV machines have a bleed button at the top of the coupler block.

  4. #4DMiller2017-05-14 21:47

    The QD's I have used over the years we shut off the hydraulics either by electronic control, PTO or secure the engine, with electrical control power if equipped on or thru mechanical linkage cycle the control function thru those lines and eliminate any built up pressure, going back on same sequence, get any residual pressure off the back of the fittings or in that side of the system.

  5. #592U 34062017-05-14 22:00

    Any time I work with hydraulic quick connects (regardless of make/model) I shut off the unit, turn key on and then cycle the aux function several times. Never have an issue reconnecting hoses. They will almost always come apart with some pressure in the lines (because the pressure forces them apart).