Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TL250 Pilot control adjustment

jimmydfi ยท 2024-01-01 23:31

I just purchased a TL250 Takeuchi. The pilot control (left stick) has a lot of play in it. Looking at the manual it says to adjust the nut #18 until the cam #17 is touching all of the pushrods uniformly. The nut I have is adjusted all the way down and there is still probably 1/4" gap between the cam and the pushrods. I am thinking the joint #16 is maybe worn but I cannot for the life of me find any of these parts online. Any ideas? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1heymccall2024-01-02 00:22

    You mean they ain't in your book?

  2. #2jimmydfi2024-01-02 10:31

    I'm sorry, I didn't word that correctly. Yes, I know the part numbers. I mean I cannot find a place to purchase the parts online. Thanks!

  3. #3heymccall2024-01-02 10:35

    My local dealer does online ordering. Andersonequip.com

  4. #4jimmydfi2024-01-02 12:14

    Fantastic!! Thanks for that. I have never had issues buying parts for anything else I have around the farm but Takeuchi really challenged me.

  5. #5Arny L2024-01-02 14:39

    I'm trying to understand how a worn u joint would cause such a gap between push rods. Would it not be collapsed springs or hung up spools.

  6. #6jimmydfi2024-01-02 14:48

    Actually the more I think about it, the joint should be fine. I am not a mechanic, just a lowly pig farmer. Any help in diagnosing this would be appreciated. All of the push rods are at the same height. So they would all have to have the same collapsed spring problem, correct? Don't they all have their own spool also? What could cause them to all be "collapsed" at the same level? The loader drives even, just a lot of play.

  7. #7Arny L2024-01-02 15:39

    I agree with you, did you inspect u joint for wear. Could threads on adjustment be galled up, making you think its adjusted all the way down. The adjustment nut is a lock nut, is it not, you would need to screw the cam down as well, I think.

  8. #8Arny L2024-01-02 15:49

    No. 18 is adjustment nut, that's what should lower cam.

  9. #9heymccall2024-01-02 16:50

    Loosen 19. Loosen 18. Turn 17 downward.

  10. #10jimmydfi2024-01-02 18:37

    This is what I did to come to the conclusion that I was adjusted all the way down. The cam was completely threaded all the way down on the joint as far as it could go leaving the 1/4ish" gap between the cam and the push rods. If I get a chance tomorrow I will try to take it apart again and post a picture of the gap. Thanks a lot for the help.

  11. #11Arny L2024-01-02 19:23

    You could slip boot off the other control for a comparison.

  12. #12jimmydfi2024-01-02 19:40

    Yes, I did do that. The right stick has very slight play in it. I never did measure to see how far out the push rods protrude so I may try that tomorrow as well. That could at least help eliminate if the problem is in the pushrods. I did not try to do any adjustment on the right stick because it was fine. Thanks for the tip.

  13. #13Arny L2024-01-02 19:49

    I If there is a problem with spools or springs, you should be able to pull them up to original height, with some needle nose, and they will fall down.

  14. #14jimmydfi2024-01-03 23:54

    I was not able to get a decent picture to post. I did compare the left stick and right stick and everything looked the same. Pushrods were all up the same. I tried to use needle nose pliers just to be sure none were loose up and down. None of the pushrods had any movement up in them. One thing I wanted to just take the joystick off, remove the locking nut, adjusting nut, cam, and joint. However, the wires that run up to the joystick do not have any way of disconnecting them without removing the whole unit or taking the joystick apart I assume. Any ideas on how to remove the wires? I thought about cutting them and just repairing them upon reassembly but that might not be the best idea =]

  15. #15Arny L2024-01-04 01:42

    You would have to remove wires from connector below, and feed upward, then unscrew handle.