Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Took A Leap, Now Have A Few Questions

YoungOne · 2008-08-05 16:25

Hey guys, I've spent the last few months. Working nonstop, and preparing for my deployment overseas. Which starts August 19th with PRE-mobilization training. And I will be in country ( Can't say where ) but it's not a nice place. In december right before christmas. Well i've been saving my money, and trying to figure out what i wanted to do with it. After searching the internet for a while i decided to invest it in realestate. Saving up enough money to purchase a total of 40.03 acres. on two different spots of the county. One being a 16 acre. And the other being a larger 24.03 acre tract. Here is a link to the 24.03 acre plot. In which i plan to log what I can and level it out. And sell. http://www.landsofvirginia.com/virginia/index.cfm?Detail=&INV_ID=143412 Here is the link for the 16 acre buy. Which offers more pictures for you to see. http://www.landsofvirginia.com/virginia/index.cfm?Detail=&INV_ID=120802 Has an old house on it which i plan to demo when possible. My intentions are to pay off these two properties when I get home, and buy two used machines. A bulldozer, and an excavator. My questions are. Would a 315/230 size excavator be big enough? And how about a d5 dozer? for the work that i will be doing. Mostly leveling out the property, and clearing out the unwanted brush and trees there that i dont want. Which i will be able to burn or bury. One of the two. Any ideas, or tips will be interested. Tell me what you think. I'm new to this, and putting my butt out on a line. But I still believe real-estate is where the money is, if you can get it. Do right with it, and Sell it for a profit. -Michael- HOAHHH!--Never Never Quit. Nineteen... And making it.

Replies6
  1. #1joispoi2008-08-05 17:06

    Land prices probably aren´t going to go up in the next year. You may not be able to sell for a profit until 8-10 years down the road. You may get a better deal if you can hold out a little longer. If the property is exceptional and you will never find anything comparable, that´s another story. Look for foreclosure listings. There´s a lot of them out there. Even those you have to pick through to find the right deal. I don´t recommend burying trees. You WILL get sink holes down the road. As far as buying an ex and a dozer, you can get by with an ex if you´re starting off. When you get good on the ex, you will be able finish grade ready for sod with the bucket....yes, it can be done.

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-08-05 17:20

    Sell any wood you can for timber, you will be suprised what you can sell. Next sell the firewood, then burn, or let the brush rot.

  3. #3YoungOne2008-08-05 17:38

    Thanks guys. No real hurry for the properties to sell. I am willing to wait a long time, and keep them maintained/ make them profitable before they sell. I also plan on making a few more purchases. I thought that all I would need is an excavator too. Then i started to think that i would need a dozer to push up all the brush? And everything. Rather than moving the excavator around. I think that a 315 size excavator will be big enough. Think so guys? -michael-

  4. #4joispoi2008-08-05 18:05

    You can do a lot with a 315. You´ll want a thumb if you´re land clearing. You´re better off picking up the brush with the thumb than pushing it into a pile and mixing it with dirt using a dozer.

  5. #5ohioduramax2008-08-11 21:54

    You are in the reserves too? Im supposed to go to Iraq later next year.

  6. #6Preppypyro2008-08-12 03:36

    A guy can really make great money in real estate, if you hit the right times, and get the right deals. I made 100k over the last two years, ontop of my regular income buy buying a couple of places, renovating, then selling them. That was houses too, not land. It enabled me to buy the 320 acres of land my current place is on. (and I bought that at the right time, from someone who didnt want to lose a realtor, and sold it for about half of what its worth) I know I am kinda bragging about it, but the land i own easily tripled, maybe even quadrupled in value sinc I bought it, and its worth a ton of cash right now. e Get lucky, shop around, and you will end up doing just fine.