Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Topcon vs. Moba

daddy ยท 2010-06-29 21:09

I've mainly used topcon grade controls, and have been happy with them for the most part, but have heard guys say moba is the way to go. I have been having some problems with a new machine with system five topcon. Had to replace a defective control box, and still not happy. It seems to hunt alot, even with offsets set low and gains down. Any topcon guru's here??

Replies12
  1. #1milling_drum2010-06-30 13:13

    I'd be interested to see what Turtle would say about this once he sees it. Are you sure the machine is calibrated correctly? A slower or faster reaction is found in how the boxes are set to the machines calibration systems.

  2. #2t_dirt2010-06-30 20:05

    I'm not a guru, but i sell Topcon. I need more info!!! Single tracker or SAS?? What version of software are you running on your CB's?? Are the sonic transducers in good shape?? Are you using foam pads on them?? Who is your local dealer?? Are you using the factory valves or aftermarket valves???? More INFO!!!! t

  3. #3daddy2010-06-30 20:14

    Well, I guess I'm not sure if it is set up right, and that is why I'm asking. I am able to access the technitians menu, and I have the tech manual that describes the settings in that menu. ( local dealer thinks I'm smart enough to print that out for me. ) I have done quite a bit of tweaking, but with only limited descriptions of what some of the adjustments do, I'm shooting in the dark on some of it. The basically D.O.A. control box has me wondering if the new stuff isn't as good as it was. Probably made in china. My dealer did tell me that the OEM boxes are all sent back to the factory instead of being repaired by them. It's not their baby though, it is a warranty/manufacturer problem. I just happen to have a good relationship with them (local topcon dealer) and they help me when they can.

  4. #4daddy2010-06-30 20:17

    Single trackers, and yoyo's hooked to ski. R1.7 I think. Transducers/ everything new. One foam pad missing. Factory valves.

  5. #5daddy2010-06-30 20:27

    One other symptom that may be relevant. When you turn the dial to adjust the grade setting, there is a slight delay before the machine reacts. With our old machine and sys. 4 controls we did not have this delay. It was solenoid. This one is proportional. Configuration 31 is what it was set on out of the box. Tried 21 and it was jerky. The config. setting is one thing I am clueless about.

  6. #6griz2010-07-01 14:53

    what kind of mill- roadtec,cat ,cmi ,or the other. if you had system 4 why did you go to system 5. I prefer moba on a mill & tocon on a paver.

  7. #7daddy2010-07-01 22:02

    griz, it's an rx-500, and it came with the system 5. Our old machine (rx-50B) had system 4.

  8. #8griz2010-07-02 16:09

    daddy,pm sent

  9. #9BigdaddyH2010-09-30 02:39

    Moba for high humidity areas for sure. I've heard several complaints about the Topcon moisture issue from the coastal areas. I like the dual display system for Moba better also. You don't have to switch over to look at the other side sonic like you do with Topcon.

  10. #10chine612012-05-22 15:24

    need help cat profiler sensor hi guys i need some help here...we just bought a cat pm465 profiler, and one of the sonic/grade senors was damaged from moist and dirt all burned. im trying to find out who is or was the supplier for cat on this sensors are they topocon,moba,trimble?? they use a 11 pin male to male coil cable. we tried to install a tracker 2 sensors from a paver but no luck they didnt even showed any sign of being turned on no arrow lighted no led no nothing. im trying to get this sensor so i dont have to buy it from a cat dealer they are so expensive. any help would bevery apreciated thanks guys

  11. #11griz2012-05-22 16:12

    Try, www.paradigmequipment.com baltimore, maryland usa 410-477-1923 May be some help

  12. #12milling_drum2012-05-29 20:05

    Those cables LOVE to go bad, check them over as much as you can, if you can get a good price, order some and try it then if that isn't it check power leads to the boxes. Wash that machine down till it shines. CAT paint is brutal, you can make it look brand new with a coat of wax and you can rehab the electronics with a sharp mechanic that knows CAT. Those older ones were pretty simple if you had some basic CAT trouble shooting experience. Good Luck and let us know please.