Hope this is the right board for this. I'm looking at a small Toro/precision husky 1000 tub grinder with the idea of grinding tops, other small brush, and small stumps. Note I haul most my logs, pulp wood, and large stumps. I run a clearing and grading service and hope this will help reduce my hauling/dump fees. Anyone on here who might have any insight on the subject as to performance and or any working knowledge on these machines?
Don't know any more then what I saw on this utube video... It looks slow but then I'm used to seeing the full size ones looks like it does a good fine grind though... I give up.... can't seem to link a youtube video had to add spaces after the two periods in the link... https://www . youtube. com/watch?v=Nuk0UndXqlA
I assume the goal in your clearing work is to leave a clean site. Will you use any of the tub grinding material for erosion control or to cover bear dirt where necessary? Generalisation - tub grinders (that are not self/ mobile) require all the material dragged to them. You have to aware of what the fuel use range of the specific model of diesel engine fitted to a grinder/ chipper etc is prior to purchase if possible. Did you compare the cost of running a mulcher on the excavator (or other machine) or do the sites require a higher standard than excavator mulched material? Another option is too consider is - grinding a wider range of materials with a machine in a yard (maybe as a standalone business) i.e a tub grinder might not like grinding metal the same way something like a Komptech does. Komptech terminator breakfasts on truck rim.
My projects need to clean no stumps so left. I have seen guys use mulch for erosion control and I probably could too on some jobs also I have several landscapers that say they would buy mulch from me. Most my jobs are 3/4 to 1 acre lots, the dump prices are getting out of hand where I'm at so I figure at the least if it would reduce my hauling and I could sell some it would be worth while. I don't need the fastest grinder on the market but I would like one that performs good and built well.
Have a bit of a bias for the Morbark machines myself as a relative worked for them for many years. Single axle trailers can be annoying if you have (large size potholes) potholed roads, tandem axles can handle potholes better sometimes, trailer can be carried across small holes rather than dropping into them. Steerable rear axle as part of a tandem trailer axle can be advantageous for narrow entrances. For the progrind see if there has been any rotor/ tooth upgrades made available for an older machine. --------------------- Euro truck- compact unit - cab modified to give chipper/ feed crane operator weather protection. Drive back to a secure yard at the end of the day rather than leaving unit on work site. Euro truck mounted chipper Split stumps down with various wood splitters to reduce horsepower required for grinding. Lasco cone wood splitter on excavator.
That's pretty neat, way outta my price range. Anyone one here ever use a small tub grinder period? I see sawmills and pallet plants using them alot.
Have you looked at a small Rotochopper, about 250hp. they have a setup that can color mulch on the grinder. Another string for the bow if your'e looking at onselling mulch