Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

torque converter

IHJIM ยท 2012-11-12 19:34

Hello everyone, I am working on a Massey Ferguson 50c diesel backhoe loader. It recently developed a loud rattling knock that is more prominent at idle than at higher rpm. I removed the cover on the bottom of the tractor and found that the torque converter has a decent amount of play in it. I can rotate it a bit before it turns the engine. I really can't pry it up and down very much, it just has a lot of rotational play. Do you all think that the flex plate just came loose? It makes a knock even when you crank it with the stop knob pulled out. Thanks, Jim

Replies6
  1. #1Bob/Ont2012-11-12 20:12

    I think you are right, more likely broken than loose. Later Bob

  2. #2mitch5042012-11-12 20:52

    I would agree w/ Bob, I am not that familiar with the ** 50, but I have been there numerous times w/ the very similar Ford 4500. As a matter of fact, I have an immobile one beside my shop waiting on a slow day that I am almost positive has a broken flex plate.

  3. #3Tinkerer2012-11-14 18:00

    Take a look at this thread IHJIM. It wasn't completely sheared but it was about to fail . HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4Bob/Ont2012-11-14 21:52

    Tinkerer, the rust(brick red colour) is a sign of vibration, mostly the vibration of the broken parts grating on each other. It's suprising what you find when you take things apart. Later Bob

  5. #5IHJIM2012-11-15 10:38

    Thanks guys. I am still wondering in what manner the plate is broken, as it only has rotational play. I really can't pry it back and forth any. I'm suprised that it hasn't exploded, as bad as it was knocking. Oh well, guess I'll be splitting her in a little while. Jim

  6. #6mitch5042012-11-15 13:16

    There is probably a pilot on the torque convertor that fits into the crank that keeps it aligned, if not, the tc is supported inside the front pump of tranny.