Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tower Cranes

guyinthesky ยท 2008-08-07 13:15

Hi Ya'll, new to the forum just curious how many "Erection Specialists" are out there, where yah at and what yah running!

Replies13
  1. #1CascadeScaper2008-08-07 20:46

    Glad to have you aboard. All you crane guys think the dirt guys are a bunch of idiots. Well, that's what one of the crane instructors at my union's training grounds thinks, or says he thinks, anyway. Haha. Never ran a tower crane, been on some smaller rough terrains and boom truck, nothing serious. Did get a chance to climb up and hang out in the cab of the tower crane we have at the grounds while a guy was practicing for his tower crane cert.. Pretty sweet, it's gnarly when the wind starts blowing a little and the whole tower rocks back and forth. Ours is only 100 feet up, practice use only, but it's still pretty cool.

  2. #2guyinthesky2008-08-08 01:13

    Haha...I spend time in the dirt on weekends! we're all talented in our own right on our respective machines! you're union's instructor is just jealous he never gets to play in dirt as well - It certainly gets a little dicey on those real windy days or someone lands you in the blind a little too hard but its one helluva job, and something about climbing that tower rev's some of those ladies engines, especially when you're crane is right across from the bar! haha

  3. #3CheeseHead2008-08-08 20:58

    I'm lucky to know a few Tower Ops and this particular one is an old Piener 350' up and 160' out. I do not know his charts.:usa

  4. #4TSK4152008-10-23 22:09

    Hi guyinthesky! I just joined the forum. I'm operating a Peiner 415, a shorty- 160 up and 213 out.

  5. #5Dig-UP2008-10-23 22:17

    Sweet pics Cheesehead, Ive looked up at that tower from the yacht club before, now i can see it from the other angle! awesome

  6. #6guyinthesky2008-10-23 22:27

    Welcome! - I learned to operate on a Peiner 415, ohhh the fond memories - how long you been operating for?

  7. #7TSK4152008-10-23 22:52

    Since '93. I learned on a 400. How long you been in the sky? Are you working on the new Olympic facilities?

  8. #8guyinthesky2008-10-27 15:27

    I've been full time in the seat for a little over a year now, just a new guy, and I had about another year off and on, weekends and such while I was rigging, which I did for 3 years as well as running some smaller mobiles here and there. You've got a few years ahead of me - But I got bitten by the crane bug years ago, and it became a way of life, haha No, I'm not working on the Olympic Facility, although that would have been awesome, I'm across the pond on Vancouver Island in Victoria working on a resort condo project, we're bout 3 or 4 months from completion, and then I'm heading over to another job of ours working on a massive mall redevelopment. I'll post some pictures from the crane one of these days, the site nor the crane as spectacular, but the view sure as hell is on a clear day

  9. #9TSK4152008-11-09 15:03

    Work View of other 415 across the hole. :waving

  10. #10stock2008-11-11 18:28

    I'm getting dizzy looking at pictures very glad I work at ground level

  11. #11Dualie2008-11-12 00:05

    Just small boom work a national 556 A (getting replaced by a 900 H some time soon) and a link belt HTC-840 40 ton all terrain truck crane

  12. #12TSK4152008-11-14 21:35

    Cheesehead...any raindays this week?

  13. #13CheeseHead2008-11-15 12:39

    Hey a fellow chedderhead here on HEF. What part of WI are ya from?