Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

towing

Brandx ยท 2020-06-12 22:14

how can i move a 1979 d3 tow or winch onto a trailer cant figure out how to search my words are to short thanks for the help

Replies16
  1. #1seville0092020-06-13 07:34

    No personal experience, but this shows up in a search if it helps https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=crawlers&th=7084

  2. #2dozr2020-06-13 09:01

    call a tow co they will help you and are most of time real close

  3. #3Nige2020-06-13 10:49

    Try searching using Google. Phrase your search like the example below and see where that gets you. The inverted commas at each end are important. " put your search term here site: HeavyEquipmentForums " So you could try "towing Cat D3" or "Cat D3 towing". See what it throws up.

  4. #4Brandx2020-06-14 07:20

    Thank you I was able to get it loaded and home safely.

  5. #5Willie B2020-06-14 07:27

    Nice machine! You will want rock guards for the lower rollers. There aren't many with a hoe.

  6. #6CM19952020-06-14 12:14

    Wow it's been a minute since I've seen a dozer with a hoe. The trackloaders were somewhat common back in the day but I think I have only seen one dozer with a hoe on it in person.

  7. #7monster762020-06-14 15:07

    that's pretty cool ive never seen one in person in person you should post a video of it

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-06-14 15:17

    That's got to be light on the front end with the hoe. It makes the front end a little light on a loader. The side guards for the rollers are only needed if you work in a lot of rocks. They pack up with dirt and accelerate undercarriage wear.

  9. #9Willie B2020-06-14 18:33

    Sorry, I forget there are people who live where glaciers didn't come to die. Here, there is no soil that does not contain rock. Even clay ground will have enough rock to chew up your idlers. The dozers with hoe are less common than loaders with hoe. If they haven't added a lot of counterweight, you have to. It won't be good at grading with no counter weight.

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-06-14 19:16

    Cat had counterweights that bolted on the back of the blade. Hoe has to come off to do any kind of grading.

  11. #11Brandx2020-06-15 05:12

    I may take the hoe off as I have a mini excavator. If I decide to remove the hoe I hope I could sell it, I have no idea what its worth. The controls are sloppy and both stabilizer cylinders leak.

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-06-15 13:04

    Just make sure you don't run it with the hoses disconnected or you'll dead head the hydraulic pump. It won't have nice tight controls like a newer hoe but will still do a lot of digging. Cylinder seals can be replaced.

  13. #13Brandx2020-06-15 14:01

    So if I take the hoe off i should be able to put the quick couplers together and im good?

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-06-15 18:38

    Yes but you need to remove the pins for the hoe, lift the hoe off the bracket, drive forward just enough to get at the couplers, shut the machine off, disconnect the hyd. couplers and hook them back together before you start the machine again. You can't unhook the hyd. couplers and expect to drive forward a few feet to have more room to reconnect them. Is a good idea to block the hoe up so it can't settle closer to the ground which would make it hard or impossible to hook up the hoses up if needed.

  15. #15Brandx2020-06-15 19:52

    Tha k you I cleaned the screen in the torque converter housing and it works like a charm steers both ways and stops as it should.

  16. #1692U 34062020-06-15 20:32

    Neato!