Hi, my problem is as follows. I have D6N 2004 Dozer frozen in ice and snow on a glacier. It does not start and is in fact quite immobile. I need to tow it to a more favorable location for repairs, does removing the axles from the planet gears at the hub allow it to be towed without disengaging anything further like the parking brake for instance? Lifting the blade is another matter, is there a way to get circulation so I can lift it with a crane? I cannot start the machine to lift the blade.
Yes pulling the axles on each side will let it roll freely. Just keep in mind you will have to also stop it from rolling. If you loosen the hydraulic lines on the dozer lift cylinders then lift the blade with a crane you can chain the blade up at the cylinder.
You definitely have to be careful. No brakes when the axles shafts are out. There is an alternative if you want to build a setup using a hand pump to release the brakes. See the section marked "brake release" in the attachment I would suggest to loosen the blade lines just a hair and let the bottom edge of the blade "float" along the ground, then tow the tractor in reverse. That way the blade will act as somewhat of a brake.