Lately I've been doing some landscaping and small excavating jobs and just renting the equipment to do the job the big killer for me is sometimes just the transportation costs. I only have a Chevy Colorado but I will be putting a receiver hitch on it for general use. But recently I had somebody tell me I could pull a small excavator behind it like a Bobcat 323 or 324 and recently looking on Youtube I found a video of a Bobcat T110 being pulled behind I think a similar sized SUV. After I've made some money I'm planning on buying a dump truck for my equipment transportation and for hauling fill, gravel etc. So what would the maximum approx. weight I can pull behind my truck safely be? Here's that video by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Hum0XxQj8&playnext=1&list=PLB060C4EE7D4F06A2
To be for sure you would need to check your vehicle for the GVWR. At that point you then would have to figure out how heavy the trailer would be that would be needed to pull the equipment you need and then how much would be left for the machine. I would say that you will not be able to have much if any capacity.
chevy colorado... wouldnt want anything much heavier than a riding lawnmower. I'd suggest finding an older 1 ton if you insist on a pickup chassis, though the medium duty stuff is alot handier and cheaper to purchase. Watched ford f700 & 800 dumps selling for 4k at ritchies in march's northeast md sale.
Ok thanks, I kinda figured I wouldn't have enough capacity but wasn't sure.