Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

////// Towing Capacity of 1998 F700 /////

Andyinchville ยท 2014-01-22 19:05

Hi Guys, I am thinking seriously of buying a 1998 F700 dump truck. The truck's sticker telling the specs is messed up so I am asking here for info on what the tow rating may be for this truck based on the info I know.... (the truck's owner was not very helpful since his dad was the owner of the truck and it is he heirs selling it from out of town). Anyways, the truck is a 1998 F700 single axle 14' dump, Juice brakes, 5.9 Cummins 12 valve, 6 speed (granny low to direct drive), 22.5 tires, 55 MPG top speed due to gearing and engine hitting the governor (maybe can back figure gearing sice I have a 1993 w250 pickup w/ 3.55 rear end on 225 85 R16 tire and in direct gear (OD OFF on an auto tranny) My truck will max out at about 55 MPH also due to the governor. Any ideas on the Towing capacity of this truck w/ the above specs? Thanks! Andrew PS - I may try to get it tomorrow or this weekend if the truck can tow enough (My Case 680E backhoe)....I don't need it to be fast just OK spec wise so I won' be fined for overloading the truck etc...

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042014-01-22 19:12

    It will tow it fine with good brakes and the right trailer. Don't forget, anything you tow a 680e with you will need a class A CDL

  2. #2Andyinchville2014-01-22 21:06

    HI, Thanks for the reminder on the CDL.....I had a CDL learners at one point BUT I guess I'll have to go all the way this time! Andrew

  3. #3mitch5042014-01-22 21:13

    And check on the insurance, with a fresh cdl, the premium may turn your hair white!