Had to dig into my UC for some necessary repairs. As I'm working on things, I thought it might as well be good to have a look at the idler. I pulled the plug and it's still full with oil, though it's quiet black. I have never serviced idlers and rollers since we got this machine (10years), so might be good to do it. Now, is there a way to drain the oil from the idler without having it to disassemble or even tacking it off the frame? I know it uses 30 wt oil, but is it regular drive train oil or something else? Same question goes to the rollers??? Though I read someplace else rollers with the square plugs are no need to be serviced. True? Thanks Pat D6C LGP ser.#90 B1849
Anybody any hint or link???
I can’t really answer your question,but if they’ve got oil in them,I’d leave them well alone.They are designed for the entire service life of the idler or roller. The oil can only come out of the same hole you pour it back into. If the roller is leaking,then it’s time to keep an eye on it,but don’t loose sleep. Spend your money on beer instead
Well it is not quite so full of oil now. HeavyEquipmentForums
Ok, got it; if they're not leaking don't touch 'em. Sure saves a bunch of time Thank you all for all the info, appreciate it. Pat
I have a Dresser TD9-H Dozer. It had sat for a few weeks and when I moved it I saw oil where the idler was, I checked it and it was low but not empty. I added a little Seal Lube and some 80-90 gear oil and ran the dozer about a half an hour and all was good. Have since used it about 15 hours and all is well. There a 2 seals, one on each side. FWD
Have had a couple D6C dozers and have a D6D and a D4D. I don't bother an idler till I see an obvious problem. And it will be obvious. You will see the idler turning or jumping when it shouldn't. And sometimes they will look "pigeon toed" from the front. Which a lot of 6C dozers are Pigeon toed, especially the 60s models. Because the hardbars and roller frames have been brokenbup so much over the years. They may start wearing on one side, but thats usually an alignment problem. Some undercarriage dealers won't even work on idlers anymore because you can get a new one for a 6C for six or seven hundred dollars. As far as the bottom rollers go I just jack the machine up with the blade now and then and check that they turn and aren't flopping around.
Good idea. Sure worth a try. Simpler than fixing and cheaper than replacing.