Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track pin question

Johndeere120 · 2025-05-22 18:25

I have a 2011 case 650L dozer and I am replacing one of the pins due to master Link breaking from hitting a rock... The new pin is lubricating and it came with a plug. Guy at dealer had no idea what to do. Does anyone have experience with these? He said probably just pour oil in pin and put plug. Is that correct? Is so type of oil?

Replies28
  1. #1Vetech632025-05-22 20:55

    Does the new pin look like the old broken one?

  2. #2Johndeere1202025-05-22 21:21

    Yup I got it from the dealer exactly the same

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2025-05-22 21:24

    With cat salt track you pulled a vacuum on pin and injected a amount of oil listed for that size of track cats have a rubber plug you put in first and a nylon plug you put in to seal it after the oil charge

  4. #4Johndeere1202025-05-22 21:28

    That's interesting they did give me a rubber plug. The tracks are in decent shape but I don't think any are holding oil anymore. I have no way to pull a vacuum do you packing grease in is a bad idea? I figured it might hold dirt if any gets in?

  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2025-05-22 21:41

    I think If I were you I would move the tractor to the end of track opposite the end of the master pin you are replacing tilt track up as far as you can shot the pin around 1/2 full of oil with a oil can and put the plug in I think I would use 90 wt

  6. #6Johndeere1202025-05-22 21:47

    Yeah thought about that too i think ill do that!

  7. #7DDoug2025-05-22 21:48

    Hopefully not broken though...... * You did say exactly .

  8. #8Johndeere1202025-05-22 21:48

    Also anyone have experience with aftermarket chains? When the time comes dealer wants over 8k per chain aftermarket is 1600. Will the oem really last 5 times as long??

  9. #9Johndeere1202025-05-22 21:49

    I'm making a 50 ton press dealers wanted over 2k to come out and do a field service I said no way the new master link was $1100 lol

  10. #10epirbalex2025-05-23 06:06

    There are good after market brands that will last just as long as any oem .

  11. #11nicky 68a2025-05-23 15:01

    Not a chance they’ll last 5 times as much in my experience.You’ll be lucky if they last 30% longer on a small dozer like yours

  12. #12materthegreater2025-05-23 17:43

    Which ones?

  13. #13epirbalex2025-05-24 00:30

    Berco for starters , I'll check the other brand I have when I can . Anyone quoting 8000 a side is a crook .

  14. #14HarleyHappy2025-05-24 07:13

    ITM is pretty good, DMC is about half the cost and they make some nice stuff.

  15. #15materthegreater2025-05-24 07:31

    The Case dealer I called said they couldn't get Berco

  16. #16D5Dan2025-05-24 10:17

    Not surprising the dealer said that… You tried going direct to see who’s close to you… Find Dealers for Undercarriage Systems | Berco Dealers Find authorized Berco dealers around the world. Wherever you are, we offer state-of-the-art undercarriage solutions. Find your Berco Dealer! www.berco.com

  17. #171466IH2025-05-24 11:39

    Might try to heat the oil and the pin a bit to get it to flow into the bushing a bit easier. ITR & DCF are both descent u/c options. I have ordered a lot from these guys over the years. Undercarriage Parts - Vista Equipment Brand New Undercarriage - Excellent Pricing 3 Years / 4000 hours Limited Warranty on Steel TracksAsk About Our Free ShippingIn Stock - Ready to Ship!Vista Equipment is your one-stop source for durable, reliable undercarriage resources. We have Undercarriage, Steel and Rubber Tracks and... www.vistaequipment.com

  18. #181466IH2025-05-24 11:41

    Last time I priced berco it was more than what cat wanted.

  19. #19epirbalex2025-05-24 16:24

    I saw a NZ add for Berco stating "genuine Berco " , comes with being good , it gets copied . Price my son got for D4 chains from the cat agency for his 7U were over 2000 while local guy after market of not mentioned brand was 1800 a side NZ dollar @ .60 us$. Seeing a price of 8000 a side in US$ is pretty bad .

  20. #20Welder Dave2025-05-24 22:52

    I'd suspect one price is just for chains and the other price is for the complete undercarriage, sprocket, rollers, idler, top carrier and pads with bolts.

  21. #21materthegreater2025-05-24 22:58

    I did. I called them and they said they couldn't help me unless I had part numbers.

  22. #22Welder Dave2025-05-24 23:13

    Berco has priced themselves out of the market in a lot of places. Also hear some users saying the quality has gone down.

  23. #23Johndeere1202025-05-28 16:53

    I know I'm not stranger to heavy equipment I know things are expensive but jist dealer parts to do an entire UC would be over 30k including new pads. Hard to pay dealer prices as a small company owner. I don't have multimillion dollar jobs here it's ridiculous

  24. #24Johndeere1202025-05-28 16:55

    If you mean my comment no they said 8k EACH chain. All other parts over 30k total. I couldn't believe it man. This is my first case machine not a good start or impressed here

  25. #25epirbalex2025-05-28 17:39

    Stay away from them .

  26. #26Johndeere1202025-05-28 17:43

    Yeah definitely. I didn't have much choice with the master link unfortunately so that sucked

  27. #27Welder Dave2025-05-28 18:44

    Shop around. That dealer is really trying to rip you off. I think someone that sells Trek/DCF might be your best bet if you're on a budget.

  28. #28Johndeere1202025-05-28 21:10

    I will thank you!