Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks vs Tires advantages

case310350 ยท 2010-06-09 21:57

I searched here first didn't find any thread. I would like to know if you can work in wet conditions with tracks and not make a mud hole. i assume with less Ground pressure less mess. I have a case 1845c, like the machine, but I dig out a lot of above ground pools and the weather has been wet this year. So considering a track machine. Do they work well in the wet weather without making a mess? Would tracks on the case I have help? Also pros/cons track vs tire. I think most are obvious but I have not owned a track machine so would like to here from operators that use them or both. I know tracks go for 2k-5k so that is a factor.

Replies6
  1. #1Matt580B2010-06-09 23:38

    It seems like the wheeled skidsteers with tracks do a pretty good job. I have not owned a tracked machine or had tracks on my wheeled loader, but the tracks seem to get you to places you'd absolutely get stuck in otherwise. I am sure they would help on your machine. I would also assume that a tracked loader having more parts and rollers would be more costly to maintain. I have watched quite a few videos, like this one especially. YouTube - Quick Attach Solideal Skid Steer Over the Tire Track Demo

  2. #2PSDF3502010-06-11 06:05

    Tracks are going to help. But playng in the mud no matter what is going to make a mess. The only differance is is that you wont be making the deep ruts or getting stuck as much or bad.

  3. #305rammer2010-06-12 11:19

    I had to run an 1845c, with out ott, at woirk to grade behind a curb and cut 8 to 10in ruts. I went and got a t190 and fixed the ruts and graded behind the curb with just track marks in the mud. Tracks really help in the mud.

  4. #4awschucks2010-06-12 18:17

    Tracks vs wheels HI, I'm not sure how careful that I have to be running a T200 that I just bought. I've run wheeled machines for years, but now am a little afraid of throwing a track. How careful do you have to be? Dave

  5. #505rammer2010-06-12 23:18

    Keep the tracks tight will and off of rocky side slopes and you shouldn't have a problem

  6. #6HillBoy2010-06-13 00:05

    I think OTT tracks make all the difference. This movie is my favorite, showing some really deep mud play YouTube - PROTRAC Over-the-tire track for skid steer