Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer tire problem

Old Doug · 2023-07-04 09:45

I wish i would have taken a picture and i may tomorrow . I was at the tire shop there was a gooesneck trailer with two 10,000 pound axles . They had been having tires problems 3 tires all had a flap open up on the side wall about 2 inch square right were the side meets the tread. The flaps started down from the bead to the tread. Some how they never shreaded a tire and they are in good shape other than the hole. What could cause this ?

Replies11
  1. #1Tags2023-07-04 10:39

    Heat or cheap tires?

  2. #2cfherrman2023-07-04 17:40

    Cheap tires

  3. #3PeterG2023-07-04 20:42

    Add to the cheap tires and heat, over loading and under inflating. But you don't say if they are all on the same side etc. I assume each axle has two wheels on each side? So there are 8 tires on the trailer? Many of theses trailers only have a payload of 14-15,000 lb and owners will haul 18,0000 lb equipment (dozer, backhoe, etc)

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-07-04 21:38

    The most important question is what brand? In most cases the side wall flex doesn't match the tread belt flex.

  5. #5Angry Mike2023-07-04 23:23

    Are they retreads?

  6. #6cfherrman2023-07-05 00:01

    Two 10k axles with a trailer that weighs 10k with 18k of load on top of the trailer...... probably

  7. #7Tags2023-07-05 06:48

    They could be “heavy” single pan style wheels tires on 10000lb axles.

  8. #8Old Doug2023-07-05 08:33

    It has 8 tires and they were on different sides not together . No retreads . I bet it was from over loading . I have hauled way more than i should lots of times but i went slow . I dont like using trailer tires i have had better luck with LTs on my trailers . I bought a car trailer with brand new 10plys trailer tires i have replaced 2 in a very short time its never hauled over 4000# and has never been over 50 miles from home. This isnt my first dealings with trailer tires i will not buy them for my stuff.

  9. #956wrench2023-07-05 09:08

    When i haul heavy loads on my trailers, i periodically stop and use a temperature gun to check tire temperatures and hub temperatures. I gotta pee anyway I also top up tire pressures periodically, especially before a long trip with a heavy load

  10. #10Tyler d4c2023-07-05 09:40

    This sounds like our trailer with 17 5s on it if I knew good tires would fix it I order a set tomorrow

  11. #11Old Doug2023-07-05 11:01

    From being around a tire shop the 17.5s are a little better but not much. I need a trailer and have been looking to pull behind my truck. I think it would be alot better if i could find something with 22.5s . At one time the tire sales man said dont sell LTs to put on trailers the only thing we could figure is they would go broke .