Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailering a Grader on a tag trailer

Silveroddo ยท 2010-08-12 12:54

Random question, has anyone seen a blade hauled on a standard tag trailer with a 5' beaver tail and ramps? I've never seen it or tried to do it, and I won't have the machine near the trailer to try it for quite awhile, my main concern is clearance between the blade and the break at the top of the beaver tail. Maybe some machine have more clearance than others. What are you thoughts, experience?

Replies3
  1. #1handtpipeline2010-08-12 16:01

    If you are talking about a pintle hitch trailer, probably the biggest thing would be if the trailer is long enough. As far as your moldboard hanging up at the top of the dovetail, my biggest suggestion is try to be parked on as flat of ground as possible. Or, if you can, back the trailer tires into a small hole or ditch. I've hauled my 120 Cat (10R series), and Champion 720A both numerous times on my tandem Holden Lowboy, without any trouble. It does take some trial and error to figure out the proper moldboard position to keep from hanging up, but really isn't bad. I'd say with a 5' dovetail, and corrosponding ramps, it should be no trouble at all. My lowboy is quite a bit steeper than that. It's steep enough that the bottom of the swing tower on a Case 580 Super M backhoe drags when loading or unloading, and the front tires will barely stay down. The older backhoes that weren't quite as heavy on the front end would actually pull the front wheels up about 6" when loading (580 D, Super E, K and Super K).

  2. #2Motor Grader2010-08-12 16:39

    Many of our customers use a standard tag trailer to move their graders. I know clearance is minimum especially with a dove tail. I'm pretty sure a Champion Motor Grader will haul just fine.

  3. #3DGODGR2010-08-12 23:55

    I have a friend who regulary hauls his Volvo grader on his ttag trailer. He and I have the same trailer (Towmaster T50). It is a triaxle, however, and it's rated to carry 50,000#. This is more weight capacity, and length than a tandem axle. Even with the additional length, he can not fold his ramps all the way over. They must be chained up to the ripper bar while transporting.