Hey guys, just looking for some input.. I'm a mid 30's male. I've been on a lay off now for 7months, I was an overhead crane op here at a Caterpillar plant in Milwaukee. Bridge crane. I was in the position for about a year and a half before layoff.. Our lifts maxed out at 235,000lbs. We had to use a spreader bar between 2 cranes to carry the piece cause it was over our 110ton cap for the cranes individually. I'm comfortable in the job. The crane ops did all their own rigging aswell. Anyways, the job is gone, odds of recall are slim to none. I'm interested in going into boom operation. I'm curious if anyone has used any of the training facilities out there and been able to find work through them or not.. I live less then 2 hrs from the ATS facility here in WI, but I've seen a few negative comments on the web about them, so I dont know what to believe, I know there will always be some negative stories with every title.. I know people talk about the apprenticeship route, I'm looking to get out of Wisconsin as fast as i can. This weather sucks, I hate it, my wife hates it.. We're all about relocating.. I've already reached out to a local HIRE center and I quality for some federal funding under a dislocated worker program.. ATS wanted 15k for 9weeks, I can get about half of that through this program.. So, any opinions would be awesome and greatly appreciated..
Welcome to the site mkelifter, We have a great training site in Wilmington, Illinois. www.asiplocal150.org I don't think the weather would be much better, but it may be worth checking it out.