Hello people: We have a cat grader 140 H VHP Plus (brazil) and I found the following dtc: 81-177-05; 81-1402-05; 81-1403-05; 81-1404-05; 81-1405-05 and 81-1408-05. The problem is that transmission get stuck in one gear. You cant shift unless you take the selector to N and then to the next gear. I think it might be the trans tº sensor (177-03) since I took it off and still the grader presents the problem (no additional problem shown). Can you give me a hand with this please?
I can't help you on the codes, but do all of the gears work? Can you get it to move in all gears
Here are what your codes mean. Each of them are of the form MID-CID-FMI where MID is the module, CID is the component, & FMI is the Failure Mode. MID081 is the transmission control - common to all of them. FMI05 is "current below normal" - again common to all of them. CID 177 is the oil temperature sensor CID 1402 is transmission solenoid #2 (Fwd. Low) CID 1403 is transmission solenoid #3 (Reverse) CID 1404 is transmission solenoid #4 (2nd Gear) CID 1405 is transmission solenoid #5 (3rd Gear) CID 1408 is transmission solenoid #8 (High Range) Looking at the components involved I think it's fairly obvious where your problem lies .............. Are all the Codes active right now ..? Here is a generic procedure to troubleshoot the FMI05 Fault on the transmission solenoids. This diagnostic code is associated with the solenoid valve (No. 2/3/5/8). This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM reads the current of the solenoid as being below normal. There is an open circuit. The possible causes of this diagnostic code are:- The signal circuit of the solenoid is open. The return circuit of the solenoid is open. The solenoid has failed. The ECM has failed. This is unlikely. System Response: When this diagnostic code is active, the power train ECM will turn off the current to the failed solenoid. Operation in gears that use this clutch will not be allowed by the power train ECM. Note: Ensure that CID 1402/1403/1404/1405/1408 FMI 05 is on hold and that the diagnostic code indicator shows "SERV CODE". Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code is corrected. Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID. Turn the disconnect switch to the ON position. Turn the key start switch to the ON position. Note: Do not start the engine. Disconnect the solenoid with the diagnostic code from the machine harness. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper wire from contact 1 to contact 2. CID 1402 - contact 1 is wire 754-BU, contact 2 is 921-WH CID 1403 - contact 1 is wire 751-GN, contact 2 is 921-WH. CID 1404 - contact 1 is wire 900-PU, contact 2 is 922-BR. CID 1405 - contact 1 is wire 902-BR, contact 2 is 922-BR. CID 1408 - contact 1 is wire 755-OR, contact 2 is 921-WH. Observe the status of the diagnostic code indicator. "SERV CODE" will either be illuminated or not. Expected Result: The "SERV CODE" blinks on and off as the jumper wire is installed and removed. Results: OK - The circuit is correct. Repair: The solenoid has failed. Repeat this Test Step "CHECK THE SOLENOID" in order to verify the solenoid failure. Replace the solenoid. Verify that the new solenoid corrects the problem. STOP. NOT OK - The diagnostic code remains active. The jumper wire does not affect the diagnostic code. Proceed to Test Step 2. Test Step 2. CHECK THE HARNESS FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position. Disconnect the machine harness connector J1 and machine harness connector J2 from the ECM. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper wire from contact 1 to contact 2. See list above for the wires numbers & colour that apply for the solenoid you are testing. At the machine harness connector J1 or J2 (as applicable), measure the resistance from the signal contact wire to the signal return wire. Expected Result: The resistance should be less than 5.0 ohms. Results: OK - The resistance is less than 5.0 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3. NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5.0 ohms. The resistance measurement is not correct. There is an open circuit in the machine harness. Repair: The open circuit is either in the signal wire or in the return wire of the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness. STOP Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS. Perform the following: Inspect the contacts of the harness connectors. Clean the contacts of the harness connectors. Reconnect all harness connectors. Turn the disconnect switch to the ON position. Turn the key start switch to the ON position. Enter the service mode of the Caterpillar Monitoring System and clear all inactive diagnostic codes. Operate the machine. Check the status of CID 140X FMI 05 for the solenoid. The "SERV CODE" is showing or the "SERV CODE" is not showing. Expected Result: CID 140X FMI 05 for the solenoid is not present. "SERV CODE" is not showing. Results: OK - The diagnostic code is not present. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.STOP NOT OK - The diagnostic code has not been corrected. Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the ECM.
Thanks Nige for your great reply. And yes the codes are active. I just learned that a year ago Cat techs changed the trans ecm and valve body. The thing is when operator moves the selector to N and then other gear, it works, but when going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th, etc, it doesnt work. I will performed the tests. I already took resistance at the solenoids. 5 have 31 ohms and 3 have 9 ohms. (not all 8 solenoids are the same, 5 have equals ans same resistance and the other 3 are equal with 9 ohms
No worries. my personal vote with 5 solenoids being involved is a chafed, damaged, or partially cut harness somewhere. If you need an electrical schematic please PM me with an e-mail address and your Serial Number. I'll be happy to fire one off to you. Whereabouts are you in Chile BTW, I used to work there in a former life.
I´m in Concepcion where the earthquake happened in 2010. Nothing happened to me, dont live so close from the shore, but it was pretty awful. Now the city is running normally. Thanks for the schematic. I will PM you with my email.
Funnily enough I was watching a programme on Discovery Channel last Saturday centred round the investigation of why some buildings collapsed completely during the Concepcion quake and others literally next door suffered only relatively minor damage. I used to live in the North (Antofagasta & Iquique) Biggest quake I was ever in was 7.2 and that was more than enough for me thank you ............
Yeah, about the buildings....you know how it is. Give some money to the right person and you can build whatever you want. BTW I can´t send PMs, not allow yet. schematic will be helpful. Also, can you tell me how to erase the fault codes? I assume that disconnecting the battery will do
Check the harness in the articulation hitch area. It may be chaffed or broken from the constant bending.
Thanks Lee. I forgot to put it. The serial is CCA01776, a Brazilian one
I do see the transmission never had the updated flash file installed. It may not be an issue but it is supposed to fix a shift hesitation when shifting from a current selected gear to a new desired gear. It was 2981563 but has since been updated to 3461882. I assume you dont have ET, but do you have a clicker box because you can use it to clear the codes if they are not active.
Dont have ET, neither a clicker box (never heard of it before) About the update it might be that cuz that´s the exact problem with the transmission, you cant go from the current gear to the next one. It changes only if you take the selector to N and then to the gear. Tomorrow I´ll check the wiring harness at the articulation
When you shift try using the inching pedal as a clutch. If that makes it work then this is why the new software was released. Has it always been this way?
Now that you have 6 posts you should be able to send a PM - only takes 3 posts to activate the PM function IIRC. Here are the diagrams that I posted a while ago about how to make a click box. You don't need much in the way of materials. Here is a link to the thread where the click box use is discussed ............ Lee, was there ever a Service Letter for that Power Train ECM software upgrade..? If so is it still current..?
Ok guys. I did jump all solenoid cables, and showed an active code for all (except solenoids 6 & 7) 81-14xx-06 (current above normal). All the other codes (81-140x-05) are inactive. After doing the tests all codes (FMI 05 & -06)are inactive. I cant move the machine cuz some cylinders were took away for repair. With this I think it is the update for the ecm.
The service letter expired 3 years ago and the machine now has over 8k hours so it wouldnt apply anyway. If the ECM was replaced it should have had the new flash file installed but maybe all they did was a copy config and loaded what they took out.
In that case IMHO the OP has sufficient to go back to the dealer who replaced the ECM for him and kindly request that they correctly finish the job they started by flashing the correct (latest) software into the ECM, something that they really should have done when the ECM was replaced instead of doing it the lazy way and just copying the config that was in the old one. Back in the day before everything was wireless internet I can remember preparing to go out to machines by downloading copies of every possible option of Flash file I could think of before leaving just in case I needed something once I got to a job site. Similarly to get Factory Passwords I can recall calling back to the office on the cell and having someone get passwords for me over the phone while I sat in the cab of the machine with ET running. Years ago you had to use ingenuity to get results, in the modern wireless age there really is no excuse for not doing it right where electronics is concerned.
I see the ECM was replaced last december but i have no idea what flash file was put in. If an ECM has skipped alot of update and you install the latest, it some times causes a conflict. On a higher hour machine, if there are no issues except that it needs a new ECM then we just copy and replace the config.
I think this guys just copy/paste (and really don't know the reason why they changed the ecm). The gears present this hesitation. Plus when jumping the solenoid cables all showed the new fault code, so cables are good.
Tomorrow the grader is leaving for a week (small job). I will tell operator to use the pedal as a clutch when shifting gears and I will tell you what happens
Hello Mr Nige , am trying to massage you but not going, sir I have same grader 140h serial number CCA02171, transmission was having clutches and disc burnt , I did the repair and I changed new solenoids complete, but the power train electric system show me alot of fault codes, for MID081 57304 , 58502 , 63706 , 66802 , 66803 , 66902 , 67302, 140103 , 140105 , 140106 I hope you helped me with this fault codes, plus also do I need to make calibration bcuz we fixed new solenoids, thanks
Which clutches exactly were burned.? I'll send you something regarding those Codes. One thing you need to be aware of is that there was an upgrade done by Caterpillar on the transmission control valve from machines with Serial Number CCA02187 and Up to reduce incidences of #7 clutch failure. Your Serial Number is 2171 so is below that point. The upgrade is applicable to all machines built before 2187 but has it been done in your case or not.? The first thing you should do is to open up the section of the valve that controls #7 clutch. Does it have one spring in there or two.? See the illustration below. There are two rows of four adjusting screws, one row at the front and one row at the back (that you cannot see in the illustration). Remove the complete cap assembly of the bottom adjuster in the back row closest to the transmission. DO NOT move the adjusting screw at all, only the cap. We need to know how many springs are behind it. That information will determine the adjustment procedure of the transmission.
Hello sir , I want to ask you why the ECM of the transmission is showing fault code if I remove any connector for the transmission but when I connect it back it keep showing that the fault for that connector still exist,also I switched of the battery and on still the same .
What is the Fault Code that you have.?
I removed the clutch pedal switch connector from the harness , it showed that 0573FMI04 still active and plus 0573FMI03 also showed when I removed the connector , I realized that all the fault codes that I sent to you I removed before from the connector to check for dirty but I connect them all back , but still exist on the screen , how I can erase them , I don't have scanner or any tool
You need a Click Box. Please refer to this thread - It is only 4 pages and I suggest that you read all of it to gain some insight into how the tool works and what it is designed to do. Clearing what are known as "Logged" Diagnostic Codes (meaning that they were there once but are not there now) is just one of those functions. Please pay particular attention to Page 4 where a procedure is described to clear Logged Codes without the need for the actual tool using no more than 2 pieces of automotive wire and 3 electrical connector sockets compatible for the Deutsch connectors used on Cat equipment.