I have a leak in one of the hard lines from the transmission filter to the pump (I think it goes to the hydraulic pump). There is a threaded coupler on the end where the pump(?) is but the line goes straight into the transmission filter housing with no threaded coupler. I am debating what to do: 1. I can remove the line and repair it via TIG welding (that I can do), or 2. I can replace the entire line with a hydaulic hose. My question here is, how do it connect to the filter housing & how do I get it out of the filter housing? The line is currently a little loose at the filter housing anyway. The line from the filter housing to the top of the transmission is tight. I do not have a source locally to get a new hard line made. Any other ideas are welcome as well. Thanks, John
could braze
This is a four-speed with torque converter, right? These lines go to and from the oil cooler in the bottom of the radiator. Your transmission oil and hydraulic oil never meet. If I remember right, this line is held into the filter housing by one of these "o-ring on the tube, tube held in by a mounting bracket" systems Ford was so fond of in that era. :throwup You should be able to unbolt whatever is holding down the tube and just pull it out of the housing. Ok, I went and looked. When you go to put the tube back in, you need a 9672467 o-ring. It's of course not a standard size, but, there's lots of them available and it lists for $.53. BTW, the tube is still available, it lists for $53.27 for 1967 to 9/70. For 10/1/70 up, it's $167.58 For a crack or worn spot in the tube, I'd pull it off and braze it, or I might Tig it if I could. If you braze it, make sure it's clean .
Here is a follow up. Took the tube out. Come to find out the end that attaches to the oil cooler has a hydraulic hose pressed onto it, and that is what was leaking. No wonder the newer tube cost so much more than the tube for older models. Didn't feel like spending the money right away, so I cut off the hose and replaced it with a piece of 1/2" fuel line and hose clamps. Ran it for two hours this evening and so far it is holding. If it blows, I will buy a new tube. What do you think the odds are that it will hold? I also wrapped another piece of hose around it to protect it from chaffing. Thanks for your help guys! John
automotive power steering hose is even stronger than the fuel hose, you can buy it lengths like you did the fuel hose,,,,,,,may want to double clamp each joint
It'll probably hold no problem, If I remember right it runs at like 12 psi. Even if I remember wrong, it's not much; just enough to circulate the fluid.